U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:32 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,298,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Some of them, yes. However, somewhere like Houston or Atlanta more than makes up for it in size and amenities. Not to mention there are simply more cities within that 4 or so hours.

Atlanta within 4 hours: Nashville, Charlotte, Asheville, Savannah, Birmingham, Chattanooga, beaches, mountains, and lakes.

Houston: Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans (almost 5 hours).

Minneapolis within the same time limit: Des Moines, Madison, and Milwaukee? I guess you could probably add Duluth and Fargo in there as well?

Now don't get me wrong here, I have no issue with the MSP area. In fact, it is one my wife and I have talked about looking into moving to. Looks like a really cool area, and definitely belongs here, just explaining myself.
I can see where you're coming from. But I guess I'd rather have close access to "quaint" or vacation places than other large cities. I live in DFW now, so I have really no reason to go to Houston because it doesn't seem to be a very "vacation" place to go. The same would be true if I lived in Houston, I would have no reason to come to Dallas.

Living in MSP would be pretty nice because you wouldn't be too far from the Dells, Chicago for longer weekend trips, and South Dakota for camping.

The East Coast cities all have the luxury of being fairly close to one another. If you live in Raleigh, you are pretty close to Atlanta, DC, Charleston, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, and the beaches/mountains in NC.

Living in DFW is the most secluded I've ever felt (and I lived in rural Eastern NC for a while). I can get to San Antonio and Austin fairly easily for a weekend trip, but anything else will require a much longer drive. You can get to New Orleans or Albuquerque/Santa Fe in 8-10hr. Any further than that and you are better off flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:30 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I guess you could include the bigger Upstate NY areas and the eastern/central PA areas could fit as well.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,047,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I can see where you're coming from. But I guess I'd rather have close access to "quaint" or vacation places than other large cities. I live in DFW now, so I have really no reason to go to Houston because it doesn't seem to be a very "vacation" place to go. The same would be true if I lived in Houston, I would have no reason to come to Dallas.

Living in MSP would be pretty nice because you wouldn't be too far from the Dells, Chicago for longer weekend trips, and South Dakota for camping.

The East Coast cities all have the luxury of being fairly close to one another. If you live in Raleigh, you are pretty close to Atlanta, DC, Charleston, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, and the beaches/mountains in NC.

Living in DFW is the most secluded I've ever felt (and I lived in rural Eastern NC for a while). I can get to San Antonio and Austin fairly easily for a weekend trip, but anything else will require a much longer drive. You can get to New Orleans or Albuquerque/Santa Fe in 8-10hr. Any further than that and you are better off flying.
I hear ya. I would be quite happy in the MSP area, from what I have read anyways, I've never been there... Having access to the all of the nature nearby would be a big plus.

I see what you mean about the "vacation" areas as well. I suppose it would be better, if you were living in an already large city, to have more small, quaint areas nearby to visit. You would have all you need in the MSP area, so it isn't like you would need to travel to Chicago or something for entertainment. It would be nice to be close to the Dells and all the lakes for fishing and camping. Of course you would still have Chicago (One of my favorite cities in the country) within a reasonable distance for your "big city" excursions!

I currently live in the Mobile, AL area, and I kind of feel the same way you do about DFW. I can get to the beach and New Orleans pretty easily, but anywhere else of note is more than 3 hours away, and even then they are secondary cities that most people don't think about for vacation like Birmingham, Montgomery, Tallahassee, Jackson, and Huntsville, Atlanta, and Jacksonville for longer trips. It does feel somewhat isolated at times.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 PM

788 posts, read 1,050,991 times
Well, Detroit schools are hit or miss.

Yes, it's a cheap city, but a lot of parents in Detroit send their kids elsewhere for school.

Maybe after DPS finishes with its "right sizing" plan..........

Old 09-21-2016, 06:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,201 times
St. Louis fits this criteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or