U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I agree. Greenville is a very good choice.
Wilmington,NC
Augusta,GA
Athens ,GA
I like a lot of Georgia towns and I prefer Georgia over SC, but that's just me personally. I do think that Georgia has a stronger economic base than SC and a stronger economy overall. I know the cost of living is about the same in both states, but that SC has a higher unemployment rate.

Unemployment Rates for States

However, SC has a higher high school graduation rate than Georgia, surprisingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 AM

29,892 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I like a lot of Georgia towns and I prefer Georgia over SC, but that's just me personally. I do think that Georgia has a stronger economic base than SC and a stronger economy overall. I know the cost of living is about the same in both states, but that SC has a higher unemployment rate.
And that's all due to Atlanta; GA isn't like most other large states where the economic prosperity is spread throughout the state. SC's largest cities all outperform its peers in GA for the most part. If you're not going to be in Atlanta, there's a good chance you'd be better off in SC over GA.

As far as what the OP is looking for, I think Greenville is a better fit over any GA city.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:27 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And that's all due to Atlanta; GA isn't like most other large states where the economic prosperity is spread throughout the state. SC's largest cities all outperform its peers in GA for the most part. If you're not going to be in Atlanta, there's a good chance you'd be better off in SC over GA.

As far as what the OP is looking for, I think Greenville is a better fit over any GA city.
Ok and you're entitled to that opinion. By the way, SC's "largest cities" are pretty darn small, just for the record.

There's Columbus, Athens, Macon, and Sandy Springs, GA - just to name a few cities that might meet the criteria for the OP - and three of the four are not intertwined with Atlanta at all (Columbus, Athens, and Macon). I'm including Sandy Springs because it's north of Atlanta and even closer to the Appalachians, actually in the foothills of the Appalachians.

Let's look at their unemployment rates:

Columbus - 6.4
Athens - 5.2
Macon - 5.7
Sandy Springs - 5.1

I go to pull up cities in South Carolina with populations just CLOSE to 100k and only find two - Charleston and Columbia. But let's just look at Charleston, Columbia, Greenville (population about 58K) , and oh, what the heck, Spartanburg, population about 38k (because it's a pretty nice town). Their unemployment rates are:

Charleston - 4.6
Columbia - 5.1
Greenville - 4.9
Spartanburg - 5.5

State unemployment rates - GA: 4.9 SC: 5.1 National average - 4.9

So GA is at the national average, and SC has a bit higher unemployment rate than the national average.

So overall, I'd say they're running neck to neck. Neither state is particularly booming but they're both piddling along in a leisurely fashion, for lack of a better way to put it.

The OP would just need to spend a long weekend in GA and a long weekend in SC to see which was the better fit I guess.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok and you're entitled to that opinion. By the way, SC's "largest cities" are pretty darn small, just for the record.
No need for quotation marks; there are actually real cities in SC. And the state's cities have artificially small municipal populations due to the state's restrictive annexation laws. Urbanized area and MSA populations tell the real story for SC cities.

Quote:
There's Columbus, Athens, Macon, and Sandy Springs, GA - just to name a few cities that might meet the criteria for the OP - and three of the four are not intertwined with Atlanta at all (Columbus, Athens, and Macon). I'm including Sandy Springs because it's north of Atlanta and even closer to the Appalachians, actually in the foothills of the Appalachians.
Sandy Springs is a paper town; it doesn't even have a downtown. It's simply the northern extension of Atlanta, which is quite liberal. The other three could work but Greenville works better because it's much closer to the mountains and not only is it actually more conservative, but it feels more conservative as well, which is probably a plus for the OP.

Quote:
Let's look at their unemployment rates:

Columbus - 6.4
Athens - 5.2
Macon - 5.7
Sandy Springs - 5.1

I go to pull up cities in South Carolina with populations just CLOSE to 100k and only find two - Charleston and Columbia. But let's just look at Charleston, Columbia, Greenville (population about 58K) , and oh, what the heck, Spartanburg, population about 38k (because it's a pretty nice town). Their unemployment rates are:

Charleston - 4.6
Columbia - 5.1
Greenville - 4.9
Spartanburg - 5.5

State unemployment rates - GA: 4.9 SC: 5.1 National average - 4.9

So GA is at the national average, and SC has a bit higher unemployment rate than the national average.

So overall, I'd say they're running neck to neck. Neither state is particularly booming but they're both piddling along in a leisurely fashion, for lack of a better way to put it.

The OP would just need to spend a long weekend in GA and a long weekend in SC to see which was the better fit I guess.
Those UE rates are for both states as a whole, not GA's minus Atlanta and SC's, which was my earlier point. GA's GDP minus metro Atlanta is notably smaller than SC's. On the whole, SC's largest cities (see, no quotes needed) are in better shape than their Georgian counterparts.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:17 AM

1,462 posts, read 935,856 times
Quote:
No need for quotation marks; there are actually real cities in SC. And the state's cities have artificially small municipal populations due to the state's restrictive annexation laws. Urbanized area and MSA populations tell the real story for SC cities.

Sandy Springs is a paper town; it doesn't even have a downtown. It's simply the northern extension of Atlanta, which is quite liberal. The other three could work but Greenville works better because it's much closer to the mountains and not only is it actually more conservative, but it feels more conservative as well, which is probably a plus for the OP.

Those UE rates are for both states as a whole, not GA's minus Atlanta and SC's, which was my earlier point. GA's GDP minus metro Atlanta is notably smaller than SC's. On the whole, SC's largest cities (see, no quotes needed) are in better shape than their Georgian counterparts.
Augusta should have been in there but the OP could live in a far flug Atlanta suburb and still have what she needs.Somewhere like Dalonega
Greenville is a nice city.I really like it but can seee the OP having issues of being in a big city without the positives.
Augusta has a great road network and is better for medical jobs which the OP says they do.

Its on the Savannah river,only 2 hours or less to Savannah and beaches, and is closer to Atlanta when they may want that for a weekend in a big city,and as well as the mountains which are not that far away either,

Lets be honest,no one looking for a place to live is looking at GDP factor where to llive.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:10 AM

7 posts, read 3,028 times
Quote:
Augusta should have been in there but the OP could live in a far flug Atlanta suburb and still have what she needs.
uhhh....kind of awkward but uh, I'm a dude.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodorf View Post
uhhh....kind of awkward but uh, I'm a dude.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Augusta should have been in there but the OP could live in a far flug Atlanta suburb and still have what she needs.Somewhere like Dalonega
Greenville is a nice city.I really like it but can seee the OP having issues of being in a big city without the positives.
Greenville is a midsized city, and what do you mean "without the positives"?

Quote:
Augusta has a great road network and is better for medical jobs which the OP says they do.
Medical jobs are pretty ubiquitous; any sizable city will have a lot of them, although Augusta has more than its fair share being home of the state's medical university.

Quote:
Its on the Savannah river,only 2 hours or less to Savannah and beaches, and is closer to Atlanta when they may want that for a weekend in a big city,and as well as the mountains which are not that far away either,
Greenville is a lot closer to the mountains than Augusta is to either the mountains or the beach. Being in close proximity to one or the other seemed to be a priority for the OP.

Quote:
Lets be honest,no one looking for a place to live is looking at GDP factor where to llive.
No, but GDP has a direct connection to jobs.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:26 AM

23,052 posts, read 35,003,509 times
To the OP: you are WAY exaggerating the risk of hurricanes in the cities that you are considering. Even Savannah has a low risk of a direct hit thanks to the Georgia Bight and the distance of the Gulfstream from the Georgia coast. For northbound systems, our coast gets bypassed as a result in favor of the Carolinas.
BTW, Cary, NC liberal? LOL. It's best described as a haven for well-heeled folks in retirement mode. Not exactly Berkeley, no matter where its' residents hail from.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Greenville is a midsized city, and what do you mean "without the positives"?

Medical jobs are pretty ubiquitous; any sizable city will have a lot of them, although Augusta has more than its fair share being home of the state's medical university.

Greenville is a lot closer to the mountains than Augusta is to either the mountains or the beach. Being in close proximity to one or the other seemed to be a priority for the OP.

No, but GDP has a direct connection to jobs.
Greenville has very bad roads that are congested around 85 but is getting better with all the construction projects.,it could get a tad messy as if the OP was living in a big city
Augusta is not just home to the states medical school but also a large Veterans Hospital,Ft<Gordon Hospital and a private one

Augiusta is much closer to the beach than Greenville. Augista to Savannah is little over 2 hrs,
Greenville to Charleston is over 3hr

Greenville is closer to mountains but Augusta is much closer to Atlanta.

Augusta has a very strong economy also and GDP is not a factor if both places have jobs and they do.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 09-22-2016 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or