U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 05:20 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times

Advertisements

Not to take away from the thread but it is interesting how nowadays Boston is seemingly one of the most racist cities of the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM

21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Not to take away from the thread but it is interesting how nowadays Boston is seemingly one of the most racist cities of the Northeast.
points lost for this factor

Old 09-24-2016, 01:17 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What the hell does this even mean? What makes the Northeast more "Yankee"? I know the Yankees first settled there. I am talking right NOW
THe New England states are the heart of Yankees on. When I was up there I noticed the term yankee used as a regional badge of pride. It's on businesses it's on tv etc. people there proudly identify as being good New England Yankees. People in the Midwest do not call themselves Yankees nor do they identify with the term. Only here in the South is someone from Minnesota or Michigan called a yankee. Up there the term is never used like it is in New England.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:46 AM

21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
THe New England states are the heart of Yankees on. When I was up there I noticed the term yankee used as a regional badge of pride. It's on businesses it's on tv etc. people there proudly identify as being good New England Yankees. People in the Midwest do not call themselves Yankees nor do they identify with the term. Only here in the South is someone from Minnesota or Michigan called a yankee. Up there the term is never used like it is in New England.
nothing to do with "Most Northern State" however

Old 09-24-2016, 08:18 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think this thread has degraded into looking at this from a historical perspective. Minnesota was still a band of Ojibwe's and Sioux during the Civil War (whooping the **** out the Yankees), so it doesn't count.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 AM

56,653 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York didn't have more freemen than slaves until the 1810 Census.

Slave, Free Black, and White Population, 1780-1830

In 1820, 25.6% of New York's Black population was enslaved. 0.7% of Pennsylvania's Black population was enslaved. Slavery had been ruled unconstitutional in Massachusetts in 1783.

https://books.google.com/books?id=CI...vement&f=false
I'm familiar with NY's Black population in terms of slave or free. Those enslaved were largely on Long Island, NYC and in the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys, with some scattered in other parts. I've posted in other threads a video from a descendant of those of African descent that were enslaved in NY and such information in an Upstate NY African American/Black communities thread as well.

Finney was in Central(Upstate) NY, which didn't have the concentration of those enslaved as other parts of the state. He also influenced Theodore Weld, who was one of the early abolitionists in the Boston area. So, while some academics may view Boston as "ground zero" for abolitionist activity, the Second Great Awakening in the "Burned Out District" of Upstate NY was also espousing an anti slavery message through evangelism from the mid 1820's through the 1830's. That is why in the article I posted earlier, Syracuse and Boston were mentioned as hotbeds of abolitionist activity. I think the difference, which was mentioned in the article, was that the activity that occurred in Central/Upstate NY was lesser known until recently. Much of that may be due to the religious based nature from which the anti slavery message came from. Here is some info and I'm going to leave this alone: The Freedom Trail in Syracuse and Onondaga County, NY

Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Default The Quintessentially most NORTHERN state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I think this thread has degraded into looking at this from a historical perspective. Minnesota was still a band of Ojibwe's and Sioux during the Civil War (whooping the **** out the Yankees), so it doesn't count.
OK you are right, but trying to get the thread back on track - why do think Minnesota or XYZ state is the most quintessentially Northern state.

This time people should keep in mind that quintessential means most typical but confusingly also can mean the most perfect example of.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
First off my post is a response to another post, but you are wrong to say my comments about Yankees have nothing to do with the topic. Yankee culture is a major part of what makes a place "northern".

Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 AM

7,598 posts, read 9,455,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Minnesota entered the Union, as a state, in 1858. Its troops were prominently featured in Gettysburg.

Needed to be pointed out..

Old 09-24-2016, 10:49 AM

99 posts, read 85,330 times
Minnesota - stereotyped across the nation as a snowy, bitter cold, full of ponds and lakes, weird accent, Scandinavian land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or