U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 02:22 PM

2,696 posts, read 988,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
nothing to do with "Most Northern State" however
Maybe read the OP again before posting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 04:40 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,847,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
THe New England states are the heart of Yankees on. When I was up there I noticed the term yankee used as a regional badge of pride. It's on businesses it's on tv etc. people there proudly identify as being good New England Yankees. People in the Midwest do not call themselves Yankees nor do they identify with the term. Only here in the South is someone from Minnesota or Michigan called a yankee. Up there the term is never used like it is in New England.
So it's not even the Northeast as a whole. It's New England. Because in a lot of New York and Pennsylvania you don't really people being "proud Yankees".

Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Have you seen GoT? Cause if you have it's fairly self-evident.
That would be more like North Dakota

Old 09-24-2016, 04:57 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So it's not even the Northeast as a whole. It's New England. Because in a lot of New York and Pennsylvania you don't really people being "proud Yankees".
Yes that is correct, it is really a New England thing. Northern culture and New England are synonymous in my opinion.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this. While Michigan Minnesota and Wisconsin are all very northern , it's in a midwestern kinda way. "The North" brings to mind New England or even New York, where real Yankees live. The Midwest is just to different to consider them quintessential Northern.
I disagree on that. The Midwest is different, but its not any less northern. The Upper Midwest is very much northern, in fact the further north you go it starts to look quite different from the bulk of the Midwest, and more similar to Upstate New York or upper New England, with large forests.

I think its silly to think "The North" should only mean the far east side of it.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I disagree on that. The Midwest is different, but its not any less northern. The Upper Midwest is very much northern, in fact the further north you go it starts to look quite different from the bulk of the Midwest, and more similar to Upstate New York or upper New England, with large forests.

I think its silly to think "The North" should only mean the far east side of it.
Especially considering that out of the lower 48, Minnesota reaches further North than any other state.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Especially considering that out of the lower 48, Minnesota reaches further North than any other state.
Yep, though on most maps it appears Maine goes further north. That's why I prefer maps that don't have the curve. I'm glad Google Maps has it more accurate.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM

I vote Minnesota. I've only been in 4 different northern states so I'm only familiar with the Midwest as far as the North is concerned, but Minnesota seems to just embody the North in a way similar to how Mississippi or Alabama embody the South.

Aside from the obvious geographical location as one of the least geographically southern states AND the furthest north outside of Alaska (its southern border is at 43 degrees north and its the only one in the lower 48 to go further than the 49th parallel), it seems to have virtually no southern influence nor southwestern influence. The landscape is very northern, its either northern prairie or northern woodlands or lakes. There's an abundance of lakes something it shares with other northern states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and New York. The accents are uniquely northern and some sound very Canadian. The vegetation.. lots of maple trees, birch and aspen trees and tall Christmas tree-like pines.

It's also a Great Lake state, it borders Canada and is greatly influenced by Canada. While Canada influences pretty much just upstate NY but not so much NYC or downstate (I'm assuming) Canada influences MN as a whole in a much greater way. Minnesota's also got some of the coldest winters in the country and though its colder in the northern part of the state, nowhere in the state has winters that are mild like the coastal Northeast. Hockey and ice skating are very popular up there. The heritage of the state is greatly influenced by its Scandinavian immigrant history and a history of logging. Can't get more northern than Paul Bunyan, doncha know!

The New England states are quintisentially northern as well, but they're too far east to really capture the greater essence of the North, and I think MN is centrally located in a place where it captures it pretty damn well. You get the southern part with the corn and dairy farms which resemble most of the Midwest like Illinois or Iowa then you get the north woods which is like the countryside along the Canadian border. There's a slight rust belt element to some cities in the state but its not overwhelming.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:40 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Maybe read the OP again before posting...
maybe...

Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yep, though on most maps it appears Maine goes further north. That's why I prefer maps that don't have the curve. I'm glad Google Maps has it more accurate.
The curve is the reason so many people don't get a grasp on many geographical truths that appear to be oddities. Like how Seattle is further than the entire state of Maine. The curve makes it seem as if Maine is the furthest state North. It also makes a lot of the South seem much further North for some odd reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or