U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM

436 posts, read 330,320 times

Advertisements

Most Midwestern states aren't northern. Missouri for one has quite a southern feel. There's not much distinction in the lower half of Missouri and its border with Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:40 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Most Midwestern states aren't northern. Missouri for one has quite a southern feel. There's not much distinction in the lower half of Missouri and its border with Arkansas.
Huh...? Because a small portion of Missouri has a southern-lite feel that means most Midwestern states aren't Northern?! OH, IN, MI, IL, WI, MN, IA are all solidly Northern and they are the bulk of the Midwestern population.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Lower HALF? Including St. Louis? You are bonkers.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Minnesota and Canada did have the same Scottish and Irish ethnic groups move there however. Which is why they talk so similar.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:42 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
It is true that when Canadians are asked to name which U.S. state is most similar to their country, Minnesota is one of the states that comes up most frequently. Along with New England states like ME, MA and VT. And also Washington state.

But in the case of Minnesota, it's probably not so much a case of "influence" going in either direction as it is a commonality of circumstances (geographic, climatological, etc.) that has created these similarities.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:41 PM

21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
No, the average Canadian is not Asian today. Sorry.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is true that when Canadians are asked to name which U.S. state is most similar to their country, Minnesota is one of the states that comes up most frequently. Along with New England states like ME, MA and VT. And also Washington state.

But in the case of Minnesota, it's probably not so much a case of "influence" going in either direction as it is a commonality of circumstances (geographic, climatological, etc.) that has created these similarities.
I don't think Minnesota ever received a particularly large number of immigrants from Canada. New England was a big destination for those from Quebec and the Maritimes and Michigan for Ontario in the late 19th/ early 20th century.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:53 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Now that makes sense. +1

I will add that the Canadian Pacific Railway has long had rail lines in parts of the Upper Midwest, including Minnesota and now parts of the Northeast. The Soo Line in the Midwest and the Delaware and Hudson Railway in the Northeast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_Railway (CPR see map)

Canadian Pacific Railway Map - ACW Railway Company (more detailed map)

Old 09-28-2016, 12:14 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,594 times
Northeast Minnesota resembles northwestern Ontario a fair bit, being resource extraction areas with a history of industrial trade unionism and large Finnish populations.

Minnesota and Manitoba are often compared. But Manitoba overall is probably more "North Dakota with a big city." Most of Manitoba's population is in the Great Plains, while only a little of Minnesota's lives there.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Almost 6 months after living in Minnesota and I stand by my opinion. We are solidly Midwestern but we also have elements similar to both the Pacific Northwest and New England, with our scenery up north. Besides Minnesota I would vote for Michigan. I always wondered why people don't group the "Northwest" when talking about the "North." What makes Washington not the "North" or Oregon or Idaho. I know they're also the West but no one makes that claim for the East now do they? To be fair I also don't group the "West" as a distinct region the way the "Midwest" is. I split it between Rocky Mountain, Southwest and West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or