U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 AM

2,552 posts, read 1,841,039 times

Advertisements

When I think of "The North" I think of Yankees and when I think of Yankees I think of Vermont. meh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:22 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,130,569 times
Minnesota. Cold snowy winters. Long warm summer days. Large educated liberal metro balanced by smaller rural conservative towns. Southern 1/3 is farmland. Middle 1/3 is lakes/prairie. Northern 1/3 is Canadian-like forest.

Has Great Lakes, plains, and prairie sections. White Northern European influence (Gernan, Scandinavian).

Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,862,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I did this for New York which IMHO actually think comes out ahead of Michigan for more "northern", if you compare the two. New York for instance borders the Great Lakes and Canada like Michigan but New York also borders the Atlantic which many other northern states do but Michigan does not.

New York is VERY snowy
New York borders Canada (the two most populated provinces in fact)
New York has large amounts of White ethnics (and famous for it)
It has large amounts of Muslims (and these groups are not associated with any other part of the country except the North???)
It has the linguistics of a Northern state exclusively (no Southern or Midland/General American spoken in any region I am aware of)
New York has Rust Belt status
New York has a strong White Democratic voter base that has UAW and Union history
New York has mountains and hills - many northern states do.
New York has large amounts of forests - many northern states do.
New York has a fair amount of farmland - most northern states do.
New York has lots of lakes, many northern states do.

New York borders New England to the east, the Great Lakes to the west, the Mid-Atlantic to the South and Canada to the North. She is part of the Rustbelt and also part of the Bos-Wash corridor.
Why does bordering the Atlantic matter? Florida borders the Atlantic...

Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,598,217 times
For a state to be quintessentially Northern, and had to exist when North versus South mattered. The big three at that time we're Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts. Any of those will do.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM

28,307 posts, read 26,308,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
For a state to be quintessentially Northern, and had to exist when North versus South mattered. The big three at that time we're Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts. Any of those will do.
3 of the 5 most populous states in the Union in 1860 were Midwestern states (Ohio, Illinois and Indiana).

Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Define "mattered". Michigan was in the Union.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:12 AM

7,147 posts, read 9,930,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Why does bordering the Atlantic matter? Florida borders the Atlantic...
The subject is only about northern states.

Many northern states do border the Atlantic. Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland. And Pennsylvania comes close.

But I was comparing Michigan and New York for the OP. Both states border the Great Lakes but of the two only New York borders the Atlantic.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The subject is only about northern states.

Many northern states do border the Atlantic. Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland. And Pennsylvania comes close.

But I was comparing Michigan and New York for the OP. Both states border the Great Lakes but of the two only New York borders the Atlantic.
Some of those states are debatable to whether they are Northern or not, and by geography and climate two of them are too far South to even be included. Which is why I didn't.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,232,550 times
I'd say it's a toss-up between Maine, Massachusetts, and Minnesota.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 AM

7,147 posts, read 9,930,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Some of those states are debatable to whether they are Northern or not, and by geography and climate two of them are too far South to even be included. Which is why I didn't.
Ok, so take out Maryland and Delaware if you want.

You still got Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that are on the Atlantic.

Out of those Maine, New Hampshire and New York border Canada, part of your criteria.

Out of the last three states, New York borders the Great Lakes and has rustbelt areas.

Last edited by LINative; 09-22-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or