U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times

Advertisements

I vote New York.

The northern version of everything urban and rural, midwestern and northeastern and even a little New England can be found here. No corner of this state is exactly like the opposite end.

NY even harbors rural elements often mis-aligned as being southern, when in fact they are more generally American.

NY has a high Amish and an even higher Mennonite population too, which PA and OH are the kings of. So even that can be found here.

NY is a cross-roads of northern cultures and eastern American regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM

7,370 posts, read 10,062,586 times
Well I went a completely different direction. As a native Georgian who thinks of the north and the full northerness of the north, I have to limit myself to New York, New Jersey and New England. Midwestern states have a bigger connection to the land and agrarian values to be that much different from the south.

To be REALLY northern in my southern mind, you need to be a Yankee. And good Yankees come from Jersey north and east lol. So which of these states got my vote? The one smack dab in the middle of this that isn't the direct home of one of the major metropolitan areas (nixing NY and MA), has a good bit of rural but is still urban to a degree (nixing Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont). So, I'm left with CT, RI and NJ. NJ is too connected with either NYC or Philly, and Rhode Island is just Connecticut East. So my vote went to Connecticut.

Perhaps the Twain book a 'Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' has implanted in my memory banks that CT is the quintessential northern state. Oh well, just one of two votes for the state, so what do I know?

Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Well I went a completely different direction. As a native Georgian who thinks of the north and the full northerness of the north, I have to limit myself to New York, New Jersey and New England. Midwestern states have a bigger connection to the land and agrarian values to be that much different from the south.

To be REALLY northern in my southern mind, you need to be a Yankee. And good Yankees come from Jersey north and east lol. So which of these states got my vote? The one smack dab in the middle of this that isn't the direct home of one of the major metropolitan areas (nixing NY and MA), has a good bit of rural but is still urban to a degree (nixing Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont). So, I'm left with CT, RI and NJ. NJ is too connected with either NYC or Philly, and Rhode Island is just Connecticut East. So my vote went to Connecticut.

Perhaps the Twain book a 'Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' has implanted in my memory banks that CT is the quintessential northern state. Oh well, just one of two votes for the state, so what do I know?
Careful.....I made a similar argument to yours and it was not popular with some posters. However I do agree with you completely. The “North” during the civil war was a union of two distinct regions (Midwest and northeast) against one (the south). This does not mean the North is one cultural region, in my opinion it is not. When people talk about the North they usually mean New England, New York or New Jersey. The Midwest IMO is quite distinct from those quintessential Yankee states.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
The thread is "Northern" state, of which some of the Midwest states qualify. I can't imagine that WI, MN, and MI are not considered "Northern". If they were any farther north, they would be in Canada.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The thread is "Northern" state, of which some of the Midwest states qualify. I can't imagine that WI, MN, and MI are not considered "Northern". If they were any farther north, they would be in Canada.
Yes but this discussion has been somewhat about what is culturally northern. Wi, Mi, and Mn are geographically far north but they are culturally very Midwestern. It’s similar to the argument about Florida and the South. Florida is geographically southern but not culturally southern. Northern culture is typically deemed to be Yankee northeastern in nature. The Midwest does not fit the bill. Funny no one has brought up the PNW or Alaska.seems no one sees those far northern places as quintessential northern either. Proof that this argument is about culture and not geography.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:38 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes but this discussion has been somewhat about what is culturally northern. Wi, Mi, and Mn are geographically far north but they are culturally very Midwestern. It’s similar to the argument about Florida and the South. Florida is geographically southern but not culturally southern. Northern culture is typically deemed to be Yankee northeastern in nature. The Midwest does not fit the bill. Funny no one has brought up the PNW or Alaska.seems no one sees those far northern places as quintessential northern either. Proof that this argument is about culture and not geography.
WI, MI and MN were included in the poll.............

Old 02-01-2018, 07:03 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Quote:
Lol

Because Midwest culture came from whom again?

Yankees.

Go read the 11 Nations and educate thyself or please go.

New England, New York, and Jersey don't even have the same culture. Lol @ people who believe this. New England has its own unique culture within the Northeast so even no place is truly "Yankee" in the way you guys TRY and define but fail miserably.

There is no singular Northeast culture nor Midwest culture. Boston isn't Philly and Cincinnati isn't Minneapolis and if you are ignorant enough to group Cincinnati or St. Louis with Minneapolis you might have no idea what you are talking about.

Minnesota isn't Ohio and Pennsylvania isn't Vermont nor Maine. And Jersey sure as hell isn't New York and Massachusetts surely isn't New York either. You guys are moving goalposts arbitrarily and make no sense. At least define a region like New England but don't arbitrarily take states or regions with the word "new" and try to argue that way. Culturally, New Netherland, New Sweden, and of course New England were separate cultural entities and still are.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Careful.....I made a similar argument to yours and it was not popular with some posters. However I do agree with you completely. The “North” during the civil war was a union of two distinct regions (Midwest and northeast) against one (the south). This does not mean the North is one cultural region, in my opinion it is not. When people talk about the North they usually mean New England, New York or New Jersey. The Midwest IMO is quite distinct from those quintessential Yankee states.
Nice anecdote. When everyone "I know" talks about the North, they mean everything in them Yankee places like Detroit or Boston. They don't care to differentiate between New England or even the Great Lakes. Are you from New England? Because few care about you as a region to the level you think they do. Ask many Southerners where New England begins and some will say Virginia (true story).

Just lol @ thinking your average person pays this much mind to this subject to even define "Northern culture" as the Northeast.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 PM

For those claiming it exists (and since it is on topic), define Midwest culture.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Are you aware that NY is an agricultural state? There are more farms in NY than in all of New England plus Jersey combined.

Most of upstate NY is more like PA than it is New Jersey. Where I live in NY is so far from NYC that its influence is limited to down-staters who visit in the summer, and so far from New England that the connection is still limited to tourists.

Sounds like you don't know much about NY outside of famous assumptions. Which, unfortunately, seems to be a rampant form of misunderstanding in this country.

Politically and culturally you'd be surprised at how many New Englanders think upstate NY is "backwards" when they come here.

If you were to ask me what New York and West Virginia have in common, I would tell you it's the overwhelming ignorance America has about what they are really like. Throw California into that pile as well, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or