U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Are you aware that NY is an agricultural state? There are more farms in NY than in all of New England plus Jersey combined.

Most of upstate NY is more like PA than it is New Jersey. Where I live in NY is so far from NYC that its influence is limited to down-staters who visit in the summer, and so far from New England that the connection is still limited to tourists.

Sounds like you don't know much about NY outside of famous assumptions. Which, unfortunately, seems to be a rampant form of misunderstanding in this country.

Politically and culturally you'd be surprised at how many New Englanders think upstate NY is "backwards" when they come here.

If you were to ask me what New York and West Virginia have in common, I would tell you it's the overwhelming ignorance America has about what they are really like. Throw California into that pile as well, actually.
Interesting, that California is the leading agricultural state. People just want to feel smug and better than, but, problem is, we're smart enough to not buy it. I can go on Google Maps, and find ALL sorts of towns in New England states, that look no different than small towns in the Midwest. It's really kind of funny, though...those posters try so hard to convince us they're better. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:59 AM

626 posts, read 574,773 times
Quote:
Are you aware that NY is an agricultural state? There are more farms in NY than in all of New England plus Jersey combined.

Most of upstate NY is more like PA than it is New Jersey. Where I live in NY is so far from NYC that its influence is limited to down-staters who visit in the summer, and so far from New England that the connection is still limited to tourists.

Sounds like you don't know much about NY outside of famous assumptions. Which, unfortunately, seems to be a rampant form of misunderstanding in this country.

Politically and culturally you'd be surprised at how many New Englanders think upstate NY is "backwards" when they come here.

If you were to ask me what New York and West Virginia have in common, I would tell you it's the overwhelming ignorance America has about what they are really like. Throw California into that pile as well, actually.
I think most places suffer from this. Many people for example think New England is nothing but rich snooty snobby white people. Such perception can be seen on this very thread.

Last edited by A.J240; 02-02-2018 at 02:07 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 04:31 AM

7,812 posts, read 12,316,247 times
How was New Jersey not included here?

Old 02-02-2018, 04:36 AM

7,812 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I'm going to say Ohio because it has a good mix of traits of the Midwest and Northeast, both of which combines make up the North.
Southern Ohio has a slight Southern influence coming from West Virginia and Kentucky while other Northern states don't have this influence.

I said New Jersey which isn't on this poll. Overwhelmingly fast paced, crowded, liberal politics, unfriendly, terrible traffic and a declining economy. Its an entirely metropolitan state with every county either in the NYC or Philadelphia metro areas. For me the typical Yankee comes from New Jersey or the New York City area. Since New Jersey isn't on here I had to choose New York though I don't think upstate New York is as stereotypically northern as NYC.

I know most people in the South also live in urban areas but the North just has a more urban image.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:57 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Tom Lennon 70,

Indiana around Louisville is more Southern than any part of Ohio.Missouri's bootheel is more Southern than some parts of the South. Although Missouri can be considered not "the North" and I didn't include it in here.

Ohio in contrast has city Cincinnati culture and therefore the more dominant culture in that part of Kentucky is Midwestern. Covington for example could just be another Cincinnati neighborhood. Once you start to get around the bottom 275 loop it becomes more Southern but North of that people don't even have discernible accents or even preferences for sweet tea. They serve it but it isn't necessarily ingrained. Skyline is very popular there.

Though Cincinnati seems more Midwestern for sure. I feel like North of the River it has a very Middle American feel. Nothing Southern really. The surnames range from German to Irish to English. Very Midwest combination. Though English surnames are more common because we got some New York and Pennsylvania settlers as some of the first people in the state. So Ohio has that Northeast influence of the English stock. I know the South has English stock but it is usually only upper classes and furthermore is more oriented to Northern English as opposed to Pennsylvania settlers from the West Country. So the accent is different. The surnames are different. Our English stock came from PA and NY.

Kentucky for example has English stock of people that migrated from Maryland. So even their ancestors are different. Though I will posit there is some West Country English in Kentucky as well because Maryland and Pennsylvania received a lot of West Country English arrivals. But my point stands is ours came from PA. So not Southern there.

We also have a lot of Bavarian descended people. In fact nobody here is really just one thing. It is like a mix of German/English/Irish BUT some of the German influence is still strong. A heavy amount of German surnames here. German and English usually. Then we have Irish. Now those I posit have Appalachian influence BUT Ohio's Appalachian influence ranges from the PA type of Appalachia to the West Virginia one. So in that way yes we have Southern influence. That and I have met a minority of people with English (not Irish) surnames who seem a bit more culturally Southern in places like Hamilton (Hamiltucky). And some are actually newer transplants from the South.

So I will say the Southern influence here is more leaning to placed around Cincinnati but not Cincinnati itself which honestly could be a small Northeastern country town. Anyone who has come through will notice that they are country people but not necessarily Southern. Most of Ohio is solidly Midwestern. Very small pockets feel any semblance of Southern. There are tales of a slight Southern influenced accent around places like Hamilton, Middletown, Springboro, South Lebanon, etc (basically towns on the way to Dayton) but once you actually get to Dayton people sound Midwestern again. So really I would say the closest "Southern" you get in Ohio is around there. Even around Ashland-Huntington the feel is more Midwestern.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Southern parts of Ohio definitely have some southern traits, especially the extreme southeastern parts around Ashland! Some of the accents down there sound very Southern, not just country!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 AM

I excluded Jersey the same I reason I excluded Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and other states.

These states may be in "the North" collectively, but if they border Southern states or even "border" states I can't possibly imagine how they could be representative of the North fully. Basically I excluded states at latitudes that are too far South. Some of these states are latitudinally in line with places in the south so it made no sense to include.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Southern parts of Ohio definitely have some southern traits, especially the extreme southeastern parts around Ashland! Some of the accents down there sound very Southern, not just country!
Perception. I don't think they sound super Southern at all. There is no universal rural accent anyway despite what some think.

They sound not too different from Cincinnati people IMO.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 PM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:

Yeah, I donít think people realize how much the state varies, to where you almost think it is just a small country within a country. Even in terms of small towns in the state, they can vary politically, demographically and in terms of industry.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I don’t think people realize how much the state varies, to where you almost think it is just a small country within a country. Even in terms of small towns in the state, they can vary politically, demographically and in terms of industry.
Aye.

I figure it has to do with the changing lay of the land, the human history, and the high population. The perfect storm to create, well, the feeling of a varied nation.

To assume NY is one thing or another in a monolithic fashion is such a disservice to the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or