U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 14.09%
Vermont 8 5.37%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.83%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.68%
New York 29 19.46%
Michigan 3 2.01%
Wisconsin 2 1.34%
Minnesota 41 27.52%
North Dakota 3 2.01%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:41 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,871,388 times

Advertisements

Let's all be honest, if it's between MN and New England, then Minnesota wins. How do we know? Because New Englanders come here and complain about the weather like a bunch of Southern wussies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 03:43 PM

240 posts, read 117,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
All of these things are not limited to the North. Many of them are found in California for instance.
No, California does not really have the last four criterion.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
The thread about quintessence not stereotypes

Minnesota also fits your criteria quite well fyi
But Northern quintessence is rooted in those stereotypes. Minnesota does not fit my criteria that well, also. A state like NY, NJ, MA, or CT does much better.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:57 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,845,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Let's all be honest, if it's between MN and New England, then Minnesota wins. How do we know? Because New Englanders come here and complain about the weather like a bunch of Southern wussies.
https://media.giphy.com/media/cbG9wtoO8QScw/giphy.gif

Old 02-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
But Northern quintessence is rooted in those stereotypes. Minnesota does not fit my criteria that well, also. A state like NY, NJ, MA, or CT does much better.
Minnesota is colder than Jersey and New York. Is that even a debate? California has no ethnic Whites? Lol it's one of the few states not in New England where significant Portuguese people are found. Hell California OWNS the market on ethnic Whites. Not just Portuguese but Iberians like Spaniards (Californios), and Armenians. If "ethnic Whites" wanted a safe haven California would be it for any of them to fit in.

Again, your criteria is not limited to the Tri State area at all.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
First off, duh! I live in the Tri-state area; I would never do that LOL. I was just saying they are more like New Entlanders than they think they are.

And secondly, that is the point. The point of this debate is to play off the stereotypes and have fun for once. I am trying to describe the northern stereotype and find a state that fits that. I know it’s not the reality, although the coastal Northeast is like that (which is where most Northerners live).
Rebuttal the first:

I believe this thread is about what state in the northern US exemplifies the north as a whole, best. In reality. Realistically. IE, not stereo-typically.

Quoth the raven, "The Quintessentially most NORTHERN state?" Nothing here in this title implies this thread is about "having fun for once". Besides, it is possible to have fun and be honest about something at the same time. Hence the opening lines of your above reply and my comment to which it replies.

Rebuttal the second:

"Most" northerners do not live on the coast. While a lot of people do reside on the northeastern coast, they are, in fact, out-numbered by the collective population inland. Unless you mean to suggest that the Midwest is not part of the north, to which I would reply that such a notion is foolish.

I find I should also point out here that if you live 50+ miles inland, I do not consider that to be coastal. I am aware that the regional term coastal has a very literal title but a more figurative definition, but it needs some kind of boundary even then.

General note for multiple people:

I'm finding it kind of disappointing that calling people out on misguided perceptions and correcting false information seems to be taken as an act of hostility here. No matter how it is worded. I'm not crushing anybody beneath my feet here, I'm just doing what anybody should do in a discussion that involves more than opinion. Presenting facts.

Is nobody able to be corrected or challenged without taking it as a personal insult or an attempt to rain on the parade these days?

I've been proven wrong many a time on this very website. A good portion of my years-old posts are no longer how I feel. Being edified does not offend me, nor should it anybody. It's also due to this site that I have been able to keep a level head more often in a debate that is not going well for my initial position.

The key is not to take it as an act of virtual war. I guarantee you'd find I'm entirely different to speak to outside of a discussion of facts. This is not personal.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM

1,016 posts, read 641,403 times
Quote:
Minnesota is colder than Jersey and New York. Is that even a debate? California has no ethnic Whites? Lol it's one of the few states not in New England where significant Portuguese people are found. Hell California OWNS the market on ethnic Whites. Not just Portuguese but Iberians like Spaniards (Californios), and Armenians. If "ethnic Whites" wanted a safe haven California would be it for any of them to fit in.

Again, your criteria is not limited to the Tri State area at all.
For what it's worth, most non-Hispanic whites in the San Francisco Bay Area are either Italian and/or Irish-American.

In Los Angeles County, there are significant concentrations of Armenian, Ashkenazi Jewish, Greek, Lebanese, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian and Russian ancestry among the non-Hispanic white population in addition to your usual culprits (i.e., German, Irish, Italian, etc.). Over time, many of these groups fanned out to Orange and Ventura Counties, which were historically WASP-y enclaves.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
For what it's worth, most non-Hispanic whites in the San Francisco Bay Area are either Italian and/or Irish-American.

In Los Angeles County, there are significant concentrations of Armenian, Ashkenazi Jewish, Greek, Lebanese, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian and Russian ancestry among the non-Hispanic white population in addition to your usual culprits (i.e., German, Irish, Italian, etc.). Over time, many of these groups fanned out to Orange and Ventura Counties, which were historically WASP-y enclaves.
Let's not forget the historic Russian settlements of California as well.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Rebuttal the first:

I believe this thread is about what state in the northern US exemplifies the north as a whole, best. In reality. Realistically. IE, not stereo-typically.

Quoth the raven, "The Quintessentially most NORTHERN state?" Nothing here in this title implies this thread is about "having fun for once". Besides, it is possible to have fun and be honest about something at the same time. Hence the opening lines of your above reply and my comment to which it replies.

Rebuttal the second:

"Most" northerners do not live on the coast. While a lot of people do reside on the northeastern coast, they are, in fact, out-numbered by the collective population inland. Unless you mean to suggest that the Midwest is not part of the north, to which I would reply that such a notion is foolish.

I find I should also point out here that if you live 50+ miles inland, I do not consider that to be coastal. I am aware that the regional term coastal has a very literal title but a more figurative definition, but it needs some kind of boundary even then.

General note for multiple people:

I'm finding it kind of disappointing that calling people out on misguided perceptions and correcting false information seems to be taken as an act of hostility here. No matter how it is worded. I'm not crushing anybody beneath my feet here, I'm just doing what anybody should do in a discussion that involves more than opinion. Presenting facts.

Is nobody able to be corrected or challenged without taking it as a personal insult or an attempt to rain on the parade these days?

I've been proven wrong many a time on this very website. A good portion of my years-old posts are no longer how I feel. Being edified does not offend me, nor should it anybody. It's also due to this site that I have been able to keep a level head more often in a debate that is not going well for my initial position.

The key is not to take it as an act of virtual war. I guarantee you'd find I'm entirely different to speak to outside of a discussion of facts. This is not personal.
I take quintessential to mean stereotypical and realistic. Stereotypes hold a lot of truth. The Northern stereotypes accurately represent the North (except the Midwest, which is Northern but in a different way). I have always interpreted Northern to first mean the Northeast and then the Midwest. Just like the South means the Southeast, period.

I disagree that coastal is 50 miles or closer to he coastal. I would broaden that to include 100 miles. 100 miles is a reasonable distance to travel to get to the beach. Also, there is no concentration of power, money, and population like he Northeast Corridor in the US. Even if the inland population is higher, the majority of the North’s history, culture, and power resides in the Corridor.

For the posters commenting on California: No, LA does not dominate on ethnic whites. That is very ignorant of you to make such a claim. California also cannot combine any of my criteria to beat a real Northern state.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:52 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
When you include phrases like "Sounds like you don't know much" and "overwhelming ignorance" in a direct reply to my comment on what is in essence, a parlor game... not an academic debate, then expect a little pushback. Doesn't have to be worthy of a moderator stepping in to be rude and condescending.

A previous poster gave a very amusing definition of the word "Yankee" and I responded with my experience of being called one while living in England because to the Brits, all Americans are Yanks. Of course I was using stereotypes in my selection. It's a freaking thread asking people's opinions in what I thought was a lighthearted discussion. No proofs to be made. Nobody is right or wrong.. This isn't Nobel Prize level research. Yes, Chill pill time.

Are you really this upset that I voted for Connecticut and not New York in this little poll? Did you miss in my final synopsis that the title of Mark Twain's book, "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" probably swayed me years ago to equate Connecticut with Yankeedom? I guess Twain was overwhelmingly ignorant to not make his character from Vermont.
Not to go to far off the topic but Mark Twain actually lived in Connecticut for a time. I wonder if that is why he chose someone from Connecticut to be his Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

Anyway, from Hartford, Twain would vacation in Upstate New York in Elmira. And he spent a lot of time in the New York City area where there are quite a number of buildings standing that he once visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or