Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 13.91%
Vermont 8 5.30%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.50%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.65%
New York 29 19.21%
Michigan 3 1.99%
Wisconsin 2 1.32%
Minnesota 43 28.48%
North Dakota 3 1.99%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The other New England states (i.e. Mass) are too small and 'unique' to represent a catergorical definition that describes a large and diverse region of the country.
That makes sense. New York captures elements of the Midwest, Mid Atlantic and New England.

Does the Lower Midwest also count as the "North"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Default The Quintessentially most NORTHERN state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd say Massachusetts without a doubt.

If you think about a state that's anti-Deep South in nearly every possible way, it has to be Mass. The South was heavily invested in chattel slavery and Massachusetts was the leader in the ideological battle against slavery (William Lloyd Garrison, Henry David Thoreau, etc.). It's also the most educated state and one of the most affluent states. It's also the most economically and socially liberal state by an extremely wide margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
this!!!!!
Ok, this is not 1860 - being "anti-South" does necessarily not make a state the most quintessentially Northern! If the question is being most "anti-South", maybe I would say Massachusetts as well but that is not what the OP is asking.

Quintessential - Quintessential - definition of quintessential by The Free Dictionary
Of, relating to, or having the nature of a quintessence; being the most typical.

Is Massachusetts really the most typical Northern state and has the most qualities of the other Northern states? For example, is Massachusetts really a good example of a Rust Belt state? Or is Massachusetts a good example of a Great Lakes state?

I think it comes down to the word quintessential which can be confusing.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Alaska = north of the Wall...
Winter is here.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this. While Michigan Minnesota and Wisconsin are all very northern , it's in a midwestern kinda way. "The North" brings to mind New England or even New York, where real Yankees live. The Midwest is just to different to consider them quintessential Northern.
What the hell does this even mean? What makes the Northeast more "Yankee"? I know the Yankees first settled there. I am talking right NOW

Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Ok, this is not 1860 - being "anti-South" does necessarily not make a state the most quintessentially Northern! If the question is being most "anti-South", maybe I would say Massachusetts as well but that is not what the OP is asking.

Quintessential - Quintessential - definition of quintessential by The Free Dictionary
Of, relating to, or having the nature of a quintessence; being the most typical.

Is Massachusetts really the most typical Northern state and has the most qualities of the other Northern states? For example, is Massachusetts really a good example of a Rust Belt state? Or is Massachusetts a good example of a Great Lakes state?

I think it comes down to the word quintessential which can be confusing.
I already said that that perspective makes sense in my post above. But when we people call Mississippi "quintessentially Southern," do they really mean it is the typical Southern state? "Quintessential" is often defined as the "pure and essential essence of something," which is presumably why so many people consider Alabama or Mississippi to be the "quintessential" Southern states. I think a similar argument (only the reverse) could be made for Massachusetts along the same lines.

I think we also need to be clear on what is "Northern." It seems the Lower Midwest has been excluded even though it should technically be counted as "the North." If we are taking whole states into account, as opposed to certain portions of those states, then a good argument could be made for Pennsylvania since it has Midland, Mid-Atlantic, Rust Belt, and Yankeedom all wrapped into it.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
That makes sense. New York captures elements of the Midwest, Mid Atlantic and New England.

Does the Lower Midwest also count as the "North"?
I didn't include states that border the South for a reason. So no. For this discussion, Illinois or Indiana wouldn't fit as part of their state has some, even if minimal Southern influence.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I already said that that perspective makes sense in my post above. But when we people call Mississippi "quintessentially Southern," do they really mean it is the typical Southern state? "Quintessential" is often defined as the "pure and essential essence of something," which is presumably why so many people consider Alabama or Mississippi to be the "quintessential" Southern states. I think a similar argument (only the reverse) could be made for Massachusetts along the same lines.

I think we also need to be clear on what is "Northern." It seems the Lower Midwest has been excluded even though it should technically be counted as "the North." If we are taking whole states into account, as opposed to certain portions of those states, then a good argument could be made for Pennsylvania since it has Midland, Mid-Atlantic, Rust Belt, and Yankeedom all wrapped into it.
Then if Pennsylvania makes the cut then so would Ohio. It does have all those elements as well, even some similarities to the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I came in here to say Minnesota, but having read the thread, I think I'll change my opinion to New York.

If I could pick three, I would say New York, Minnesota, and Maine. The other New England states (i.e. Mass) are too small and 'unique' to represent a catergorical definition that describes a large and diverse region of the country.
That is what I am saying, Massachusetts is actually unique in a way. I would say (in fact I have said it on other threads) that Massachusetts is the most quintessential New England State. She literally has everything that the other 5 New England states have, although she is a little short on large scale public lands like the GMNF in Vermont or the WMNF in New Hampshire.

But I would not say Massachusetts is most quintessentially Northern - especially if like the OP the North includes the vast Midwest.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Massachusetts - hands down.

Strong union base
blue collar presence
North East Liberal Intellectuals.
Rust Belt status - declining mill towns, old industrial cities (Springfield, Fall River, Worcester)
White ethnics
White WASP
Muslims
Jews
All those elite universities - and most lean liberal
Lots of ethnic food
Lots of old Yankee food
leans liberal
Berkshires, and Atlantic Coast
Christians are not fanatical church attenders - many Catholics, Unitarians, (they are more Christian there, just don't ascribe to the Trinity) United Church of Christ, American Baptist (the one that broke with Southern Baptist over abolition)
Strong abolition state.
Boston - a big city
a rural presence
Norman Rockwell was from there and took his Americana illustrations from MA life.
Immigrants still coming in.
Little love or identification with the South.
(kind of the Anti-South)

Why NOT NEW YORK?
Most of NY is NOT the NYC METRO AREA.
Strong rural agricultural presence
Except for the New York metro area - hunting is very popular
upstate New York is staid and Conservative.
Unlike Massachusetts STRONG EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN PRESENCE - not only upstate, but on Long Island. Remember the Massapequa Tabernacle Scandal - with Jessica Hahn, Jim Bakker, Pastor Profeta?
Methodist Churches are every where
4 H Club popular up state NY and on Eastern Long Island
Beauty Pageants are Popular on Eastern Long Island and Up State NY
Upstate NY and Eastern Long Island have much in common with the South
Colleges in upstate NY lean more traditional - Hamilton, Colgate, Elmira, St. Lawrence, Roberts Wesleyan, Wells, Hobart and William Smith, RPI, RIT, Houghton College, The Kings College, many former Aggie Tech Colleges(Agricultural and Technical Colleges) because of Rural Base. And traditional non activist State Schools.
Love of Pick Up Trucks - again upstate NY and Eastern Long Island
Love of Guns.
High School Sports important.
Display of Confederate Flag.
Affectionate towards the South, and admiration of Southern Values
MANY people from NYS move to the South - and not only Florida - North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. Some maintain dual residences.

In fact, with the exception of Lower Westchester, NYC and boroughs, and Nassau County, LI, NY - much of NY is a lot like the South with snow.

Love of Southern Food.

New York State - the non NYC areas - "Up State" (which is most of the state) and Suffolk County (Eastern LI -except the Hamptons) are a lot like the South.

Friendly people

Rodeos

Western Riding, Dude Ranches

Appalachian Culture and Mountains.

MASSACHUSETTS in the STATE. ( 2nd place -Minnesota)

Good Lord--rodeos, dude ranches, Methodist Church, agricultural base, evangelical base, etc, etc.

So incredibly off the mark, not even close.

This is awful.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Bah, I did not notice that the lower states were excluded. Pennsylvania and Ohio definitely should be contenders.

Yeah, another problem is the word "quintessential". On one hand it means most pure but it also means most typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.