Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 13.91%
Vermont 8 5.30%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.50%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.65%
New York 29 19.21%
Michigan 3 1.99%
Wisconsin 2 1.32%
Minnesota 43 28.48%
North Dakota 3 1.99%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
I chose Massachusetts. It embodies the spirit of the North well. It is very education-focused and part of New England. It has beaches, mountains, and cities, which are very characteristic of the North. It is very liberal, which is also characteristic of the North.

It could be New Jersey, too. It combines the urban north, suburban north, and rural north (it has mountains and farmland). Culturally, it is very Northern, and the politics resemble that.
Beaches, mountains, and cities.

"Characteristic of the North".

Quick.

Take Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia and move them to the North STAT.

DON'T FORGET CALIFORNIA TOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Definitely not just New England culture if the New York Yankees’ name actually means anything. It’s really supposed to just mean “American†but Southerners changed it to just apply to Northerners. I’m guessing that this happened around the time of the Civil War.
Sooooooo the Midwest is part of the North like I said earlier.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It has large amounts of Muslims and Arabs (and these groups are not associated with any other part of the country except the North)
I keep seeing this and I want clarification. From my limited understanding there is a large Muslim population in Southern Michigan (Kalamazoo) and there is a large Somalian population in Minneapolis. Where else is there a large muslim population up north? Also can someone give a historical context on this?

I do know there is a large Persian population out West in LA, those folks are mainly exiles from the Iranian revolution.

I have read about the Somalian population in Minneapolis. Some of it was due to various charities and word of mouth spread so that the community coalesced.

But I'd like some more explanations of why you claim this statement to be true and some historical context. Otherwise I'll just say this is an urban legend.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM

239 posts, read 231,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Beaches, mountains, and cities.

"Characteristic of the North".

Quick.

Take Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia and move them to the North STAT.

DON'T FORGET CALIFORNIA TOO
Ok, well, the rocky beaches are characteristic of the North. That is what I meant. Also, the summer beach culture is very characteristic of the North. Native Californians and Floridians do not go to the beach. No other region combined these three characteristics in such a small region. NYC, Boston, and Philly are all within an hour of the beach and two hours of the mountains. Very few other cities can say that. In addition, the urban cores of those cities are basically the best in the country. I was saying that none of those characteristics are exclusive of the North, but no other region combines them like that. No, California does not compare. And Seattle certainly does not. The south and Midwest have nothing comparable.

GA, SC, VA, and NC do not have mountains and each just an hour or two away from each other. Also, the coastline of those states is largely not beaches. The entire Jersey Shore is beaches. Same with Delaware and most of Massachusetts. Don't forget parts of Long Island and CT. It's just not the same.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Grow magnolias in Michigan? Not without a lot of protection. As far south as parts of California? Hard to believe that is true as well. Geographically the place is very northern.

What is northern depends on how you define northern. Most people think of northeast states. Midwest is different, so I would exclude Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin for that reason. Northern culture is Yankee culture, so that means the urban northeast and New England. I’d go with New York or Massachusetts.
Anyone from up north is a "yankee" that includes the Midwest. Yes I know that word originally referred to folks from New England, but hillbilly originally referred to Appalachian folks and now it's a wider definition.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Ok, well, the rocky beaches are characteristic of the North. That is what I meant. Also, the summer beach culture is very characteristic of the North. Native Californians and Floridians do not go to the beach. No other region combined these three characteristics in such a small region. NYC, Boston, and Philly are all within an hour of the beach and two hours of the mountains. Very few other cities can say that. In addition, the urban cores of those cities are basically the best in the country. I was saying that none of those characteristics are exclusive of the North, but no other region combines them like that. No, California does not compare. And Seattle certainly does not. The south and Midwest have nothing comparable.

GA, SC, VA, and NC do not have mountains and each just an hour or two away from each other. Also, the coastline of those states is largely not beaches. The entire Jersey Shore is beaches. Same with Delaware and most of Massachusetts. Don't forget parts of Long Island and CT. It's just not the same.
Native Californians don't go to the beach? Right so all those surfers with strong California accent are actually Ohioans and Pennsylvanians and as a Floridian that Florida beach comment is even funnier. No we don't go to the beach in Florida, only tourists do. Native Floridians would rather swim in the Everglades lol.

Beaches are a coastal thing, dude. Not exclusively northern at all. Aside from lake shores Minnesota doesn't really have beaches yet we are more northern than anywhere else. I would say lakes represent the north more than beaches.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:35 PM

239 posts, read 231,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Native Californians don't go to the beach? Right so all those surfers with strong California accent are actually Ohioans and Pennsylvanians and as a Floridian that Florida beach comment is even funnier. No we don't go to the beach in Florida, only tourists do. Native Floridians would rather swim in the Everglades lol.

Beaches are a coastal thing, dude. Not exclusively northern at all. Aside from lake shores Minnesota doesn't really have beaches yet we are more northern than anywhere else. I would say lakes represent the north more than beaches.
No! Native Floridians do not go the beach! At least not in South Florida. Same thing with californians. Northeasterners go to the beach in their respective areas regularly, oftentimes every weekend.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No! Native Floridians do not go the beach! At least not in South Florida. Same thing with californians. Northeasterners go to the beach in their respective areas regularly, oftentimes every weekend.
https://media1.tenor.com/images/949f...itemid=5245718

Old 01-25-2018, 04:27 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

He might mean cottage culture. Tons of people who are not even particularly wealthy have or regularly rent summer cottages in the same town year after year. These "summer residence" towns are less popular elsewhere. From what ive gathered people outside the Northeast tend to go on singular vacations rather than the same getaway every year, whether it be in the mountains or beach

Old 01-25-2018, 04:31 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
The North
https://www.wsj.com/articles/minneso...too-1516582494
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.