U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,703,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I had an acquaintance years ago that referred to SF as "The City". That's been the only time I've heard it used as such aside from NYC.
Really? I've heard SF referred to as the city a lot. There are even warriors hats and shirts with the SF skyline on it that say "the city" on it. I have never called it the city though, the only places I've ever referred to as "the city" is NYC and DC (whenever i'm in the Nova suburbs and referring to DC in conversation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM

7,730 posts, read 4,578,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Really? I've heard SF referred to as the city a lot. There are even warriors hats and shirts with the SF skyline on it that say "the city" on it. I have never called it the city though, the only places I've ever referred to as "the city" is NYC and DC (whenever i'm in the Nova suburbs and referring to DC in conversation).
DC is usually "the district", not "the city".

Old 09-21-2016, 10:31 AM

9,069 posts, read 4,132,457 times
Dallas.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:39 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,415,389 times
I guess the question is, how common is it for people to refer to the primary city of their metro as "the city"? I've only known that to be true for NYC.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 AM

12,439 posts, read 11,941,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess the question is, how common is it for people to refer to the primary city of their metro as "the city"? I've only known that to be true for NYC.
I may have placed too much emphasis on "the city" as a distinct term. The idea for the thread was spurred by this...

Quote:
You're taking "City" literally. Normally when that word is in caps it's a whopping red flag.

It wouldn't matter if it's in a different state. Growing urban sprawl doesn't stop at a border. Unless there's physical geography blocking it.

'NYC' is in three states at least. About 50% of 'Mexico City' is outside the DF.

The Memphis metro area is one recognizable city. The urban area of Memphis is always given at around a million.
This was, to me, such an alien way of looking at things. By my standards Memphis, TN has very broad city limits, with relatively few (arguably no) intact residential neighborhoods which look particularly urban, and the overwhelming majority of the city composed of suburbs. Yet by this standard the person in question is arguing that the "City" part of Memphis is even larger, presumably extending even into the suburbs in Mississippi and Arkansas.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:06 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,228,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
In Chicago places like Evanston and Oak Park would potentially qualify, but you have to cross too many areas of decreasing density to get there I once walked from Lakeview to Chinatown -- it was quite a walk, but I never left a genuinely urban area. Nobody's going to walk from Lakeview to Evanston even though it's approximately the same distance.
How are you getting to Evanston from Lakeview?

If you head north from Lakeview via Lake Shore to its end at Hollywood and Sheridan, and then take Sheridan north bound into Evanston, you don't run into a drop off in density. Edgewater, which you would pass through on the way, is the densest neighborhood in Chicago in terms of population density. In terms of your built environment, there can be quite a bit of drop off when leaving Rogers Park and entering Evanston. The lots become substantially bigger, and you have to travel through a sea of mansions on your approach to downtown Evanston.

As for Chicago, I agree with Chicago60614. It aligns with the city limits. People will be quick to tell someone from Evanston that they are not from the city, even though Evanston is more urban than parts of Chicago. Chicagoans are protective of the city limits.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,703,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
DC is usually "the district", not "the city".
Yeah, ik it's commonly the district but I would say things like "we're driving into the city today", "I'll be in the city most of the day", or "is the conference in the city or Virginia" maybe that's just me though lol. On the other hand, If I lived in the LA suburbs and had to commute to DTLA or something, I would never say "I'm driving into the city"...go figures.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:39 AM

909 posts, read 668,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
For example, I've seen people on this forum claim that DC and Baltimore, which share a CSA, are in fact the "same city" when if you live in one you pretty clearly live your life largely separated from the other.
Did you mean to say DC and Baltimore are two different cities instead of the "same city"? Nobody would ever say they are the same city. If you don't live in the overlapping suburbs, you can largely live your life unaffected by the other city in the CSA.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,395,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And it is usually just Manhattan that is "the city" not the other boroughs.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 PM

29,945 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I may have placed too much emphasis on "the city" as a distinct term. The idea for the thread was spurred by this...

This was, to me, such an alien way of looking at things. By my standards Memphis, TN has very broad city limits, with relatively few (arguably no) intact residential neighborhoods which look particularly urban, and the overwhelming majority of the city composed of suburbs. Yet by this standard the person in question is arguing that the "City" part of Memphis is even larger, presumably extending even into the suburbs in Mississippi and Arkansas.
I think that person was just getting at the fact that we tend to use the terms "city" and "metro" interchangeably in many instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or