U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM

12,443 posts, read 11,944,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that person was just getting at the fact that we tend to use the terms "city" and "metro" interchangeably in many instances.
Maybe that's a Sun Belt thing? I have never lived somewhere where that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Maybe that's a Sun Belt thing? I have never lived somewhere where that is the case.
We do that all the time on here. When we talk about most educated cities or fastest-growing cities or cities with the largest economies, we're really talking about metro areas.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,256,952 times
Outside of this website, I usually use/hear "the city" to refer to metropolitan area. Just a few months ago, I was visiting Natchitoches and people would say I was from "the city" when I told them I was from "a suburb of Dallas."

Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
Quote:
I guess the question is, how common is it for people to refer to the primary city of their metro as "the city"? I've only known that to be true for NYC.
Well as stated it's the common definition within the Chicago area. "the city" means one thing, within the city limits of Chicago, it's extremely common and most everyone who lives here will automatically know what you're saying. My suburban friends always say this and my coworkers always refer to "the city".

Apparently it's used in San Fran as well.

Realistically I just assumed everywhere referred to the central city as "the city" to differentiate it from the suburbs, but maybe this is more just an NYC and Chicago (and San Fran) kinda thing.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,229,673 times
Quote:
I guess the question is, how common is it for people to refer to the primary city of their metro as "the city"? I've only known that to be true for NYC.
I've heard it used most places that I've visited that have one primary city in its metro area. I grew up in the St. Louis area, and "the city" referred to St. Louis proper. Additionally "the county" was in reference to St. Louis' suburbs in St. Louis County since St. Louis is an independent city.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,405,651 times
Growing up in NJ "the city" is Manhattan.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
And it is usually just Manhattan that is "the city" not the other boroughs.
As someone who grew up in New York State, that always bugged me how only Manhattan was called "The City" as if Brooklyn and the Bronx are suburbs or something You could make a case for Staten Island since it's much less dense than the other 4 boroughs and is not connected to the subway either

As for where I currently live, in Phoenix, I consider the inner 150-200sq mi's that are in the Phoenix Union High School District to be the true city, and almost everything outside of that in the city limits is much more suburban. I just moved half a mile outside that boundary a couple weeks ago, still in the city of Phoenix, but within Glendale Union's boundaries now, and it is a bit more suburban, though on the light rail line at least

Old 09-21-2016, 06:50 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,873,863 times
Here in the Twin Cities, it is "the cities" (city limits of STP or MPLS). Neither Minneapolis or St. Paul are ever referred to as "the city".

Old 09-21-2016, 07:01 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,676,994 times
I always describe "the city" to people from my metro as just the city proper, while if I mention "St. Louis" to an outsider I also include the rest of the metro.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I've heard it used most places that I've visited that have one primary city in its metro area. I grew up in the St. Louis area, and "the city" referred to St. Louis proper. Additionally "the county" was in reference to St. Louis' suburbs in St. Louis County since St. Louis is an independent city.
Interesting. I've lived in four major metros and in none of them do people say "the city" to refer to the primary city of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or