U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:21 PM

979 posts, read 641,548 times

Advertisements

In Miami people refer to the city of Miami as "the city". But you also have a decent amount of people who consider Miami Beach "the city". Personally when i talk about Miami i just mean the jurisdiction (city limits) of Miami, i don't consider the entire metro as Miami because they're all independent cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:11 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,259,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Interesting. I've lived in four major metros and in none of them do people say "the city" to refer to the primary city of the region.
I've rarely heard people do that in DFW (I mean, which core city?). The only times I have it was people sarcastically referring to Dallas as "the city." I have heard people say "the Dallas" or something similar to clarify they mean the city of Dallas, not just the county, but that I'd not because the city and county share a name. Not a given for core cities.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 PM

1,565 posts, read 726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I was going to say pretty much exactly this, minus the part about Chicago (though I've lived there, too). But I want to elaborate: I really consider "the city" to be a contiguous urban area. In Boston there's no separation or significant decline in density between the city proper and Cambridge, Somerville and even Brookline, so all those places would be "the city."

In New York, Hoboken and Jersey City are very dense, but the fact that you have to cross a river from Manhattan and can't even get there via the subway (the PATH is too much of a niche line) keeps them from being "the city." Plus they don't really look like New York, which I find fascinating because they're right there.

In Chicago places like Evanston and Oak Park would potentially qualify, but you have to cross too many areas of decreasing density to get there. I once walked from Lakeview to Chinatown -- it was quite a walk, but I never left a genuinely urban area. Nobody's going to walk from Lakeview to Evanston even though it's approximately the same distance.
Huh? Some of the neighborhoods you'd pass on the way up to Evanston (Rogers Park, Edgewater, etc.) are among the most densely populated in the city, with lots of high-rises. I believe the single densest census tract in the US is in one of those neighborhoods.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:55 PM

6,801 posts, read 11,791,041 times
For Dallas:

"Dallas" refers to the actual city proper of Dallas

But DFW refers to the entire metro area (not just the city propers of Dallas and Fort Worth.. Denton, Arlington, Plano, etc. all are part of "DFW".)

Old 12-24-2017, 01:18 PM

9,400 posts, read 9,563,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
As a native New Yorker, I've used "The City" to mean Manhattan alone, as well as the city as a whole, but NOTHING outside the city limits.

When I lived in Chicago, "Chicago" meant city proper. Chicagoland was the metro.

Boston is the only city I've lived in where I truly believe that the metro is the "real city", but even then, I really only include Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville.
But in saying "Boston" or "the city" they often are talking the colonial borders, not the current city borders.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:07 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,843,955 times
Frequency of use varies, but:

--DC definitely also gets called "The City". It may not be more commonplace than "The District", but it's not foreign...
--in the Mid-South, Memphis is not foreign to being referred to as "the city"...
--Norfolk is considered "the city" in Hampton Roads. Richmond is "the city" in Central Virginia...
--very rarely, but I've heard both Buffalo and Rochester referred to as "the city" but rural Western New Yorkers...
--most def San Francisco. LA also...

Old 12-25-2017, 03:45 AM

998 posts, read 885,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I had an acquaintance years ago that referred to SF as "The City". That's been the only time I've heard it used as such aside from NYC.
Lived in the Bay Area for 20 years, EVERYONE called San Francisco "The City".

Old 12-25-2017, 07:50 AM

721 posts, read 301,661 times
Tampa is "the city" where I live, although downtown means downtown St Petersburg.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:01 AM

16,746 posts, read 23,195,525 times
As a native Connectican, “the city” was always New York, specifically Manhattan.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:32 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
In Louisiana we refer to New Orleans as the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or