U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 PM

22 posts, read 26,982 times

Advertisements

Has anyone met many Australians in the US, is there an Australian community here, etc?

It's interesting, because you find all kinds of people in America, but there really aren't many Australians, whether tourists or immigrants. And I'm from CA which is the closest state aside from Hawaii to Australia, yet I've probably seen/heard one or two Australians here in my whole life. Of course aside from many Mexican/Latino, Asian, and some African immigrants, there are some Europeans, mostly in big cities. You can meet people from all around the world, but meeting an Australian seems rare here. Of course I could have heard people who I thought were speaking in Australian accent, but were from England, which I hear every once in a while, but still uncommon outside touristy places.

Of course Australia is one among dozens of developed, nice countries, and of course not many would move all the way to the US unless it was a really good reason. But even then, at my school, there are some international students, but never have I heard or met Australians there. There are people from Europe, but no Australians.

And sometimes I've had conversations regarding Australia with people, which is uncommon but when it gets brought up I may ask if they've met a person from there and it seems like none have met any or just have met one. I'm sure there are places where there's a lot going to to visit, but I've never seen it.

It's interesting because Australia is a pretty well known country but few people from there are heard around here. I'd like to learn more about the country but I rarely get the opportunity to meet people from the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,702,681 times
I have met a ton of Australians in the Santa Monica/Venice area. Both vacationers and permanent residents.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 PM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Almost every time I take a long trip on Amtrak I run into Australians on vacation.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:07 AM

571 posts, read 391,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Almost every time I take a long trip on Amtrak I run into Australians on vacation.

True. I have met Australians, Germans, and Brits on Amtrak too. I also ran into a group of Australians a couple of years ago while I was on vacation in Dallas.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 AM

198 posts, read 497,792 times
I work for a large law firm and we have a few Australian expats who work for us in LA and New York. Other than them, the last Australian living in the US that I met was a classmate in junior high in the 70's.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM

153 posts, read 116,948 times
I'm an Australian who became a US permanent resident a few months ago.

Before moving to LA, I lived in New York City and I would hear Australian accents everywhere. Sometimes it would feel like I had never left Australia! Most of them were tourists but there a lot of them were working for banks or in the finance field.

Now I live in LA and I still hear Aussie accents but not as much. I was at Walgreen's yesterday and the guy who served me was actually Australian which caught me by surprise. And also I was at the vet on the weekend and an Australian guy was there with his cat. So I've had 2 Australian encounters in a week!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM

22 posts, read 26,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
I'm an Australian who became a US permanent resident a few months ago.

Before moving to LA, I lived in New York City and I would hear Australian accents everywhere. Sometimes it would feel like I had never left Australia! Most of them were tourists but there a lot of them were working for banks or in the finance field.

Now I live in LA and I still hear Aussie accents but not as much. I was at Walgreen's yesterday and the guy who served me was actually Australian which caught me by surprise. And also I was at the vet on the weekend and an Australian guy was there with his cat. So I've had 2 Australian encounters in a week!
I'm sure it's a lot more common in big cities like NY and LA to hear Australian accents, but where I live, an hour north of San Fran, it's very rare to hear one. Not that it's a problem of course, but it's an interesting accent, and Australia is an interesting country to many people here, and it'd be refreshing to meet people from there, which I never get to do

Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 4,744 times
What about on the East Coast? I’m not far from Washington DC and would love to make new Aussie friends. I am interested in hopefully someday meeting a great Aussie guy to spend quality time with. I went to Brisbane, Au where my then bf lived and had a wonderful time with him and his family. Ideally I’d love to move there but finding someone here would be a bit more practical. I’m open minded and do well in long distance relationships.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 12 days ago)

2,043 posts, read 1,995,600 times
When I was in Europe, Australians seemed to be everywhere. However, now that I’m back in New England I don’t know if I’ve met a single one. They might not travel up this way very often. I did meet an Australian in Montreal, which is at least pretty close.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 PM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Just had a few come into our little microbrewery in Bernalillo NM a while back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or