U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:28 PM

8 posts, read 5,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I live in Bellingham and I'd say that this city fits the criteria for what you're looking for, to a tee. Fluffydelusions is right; "good" walking weather is subjective, but as someone coming from CO and NC prior to that, I can say that I've walked and biked in this region far more so than the other places I've lived.

Our biggest concern moving from CO was lack of sunshine, but I believe that concern is overblown. The amount of daylight (or lack of, in the winter) probably has a more noticeable effect. But with a moderate climate and a general lack of snow near the coast, I find myself on the trails quite often, even in the winter. It rains, but less than the east coast, and the drizzly times don't seem to keep anybody from doing anything, really. A nice waterproof shell is key.

NC is not bad, though it's a little muggy and hot in the summers for my tastes (outside of the mountains, which are lovely and cooler). But the dedication to hiking and biking as actual forms of transportation-and systems that connect with each other- isn't there yet, at least compared to Washington. But not a bad choice- I enjoyed my years there quite a bit.
Thank you, bartonizer! How would you compare Bellingham to cities like Asheville and Boone in terms of bugs (especially ticks) and windiness? Also, would you be concerned in either place to let a small dog run around in a unfenced yard due to coyotes and other predator animals (birds, bears, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:10 AM

1,292 posts, read 711,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrummy View Post
Thank you, bartonizer! How would you compare Bellingham to cities like Asheville and Boone in terms of bugs (especially ticks) and windiness? Also, would you be concerned in either place to let a small dog run around in a unfenced yard due to coyotes and other predator animals (birds, bears, etc.)?
I can't speak for any of those particular cities but I grew up in New England and also lived in NYC and NJ as well as being stationed in NC,SC, and FL. Currently in Olympia, WA and have have done quite a bit of hiking around here and the bugs are minimal here compared to the east coast. I was actually amazed at how few there are here. I never get bit by mosquitoes here or anything. Never saw a tick either. Got a bunch of them in New England however. Can't speak on the predator bit as I haven't been here very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or