U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With which region is the Midwest more alike?
Northeast (New England, Mid-Atlantic) 11 31.43%
Great Plains 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Which region is the Midwest more like: the northeast or the Great Plains?

Culturally, I'm thinking of areas that are not "southern" in the sense that they were ever slave states.

So I will, for purpose of definition, I am listing the following states as Midwest (all but one on the Great Lakes): MN, IA, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH

for the Great Plains, I'm including: ND, SD, NE, KS, OK

and the northeast would be a combo of the Mid-Atlantic and New England: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA

I'm pretty much thinking across the board on this: urbanization, culture, life style, politics, climate, topography, demographics, etc.
I'm not even sure where to begin. Oklahoma may technically bet part of the Great Plains, but the cultural similarities are minimal. Oklahoma should not be on the list at all. Next, those other Great Plains states listed are part of the Midwest. The northeast is not part of the Midwest. So the question is not answerable. The Great Plains states on your list are in the Midwest. Missouri is part of the Midwest as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 11:32 AM

8,984 posts, read 4,107,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm not even sure where to begin. Oklahoma may technically bet part of the Great Plains, but the cultural similarities are minimal. Oklahoma should not be on the list at all. Next, those other Great Plains states listed are part of the Midwest. The northeast is not part of the Midwest. So the question is not answerable. The Great Plains states on your list are in the Midwest. Missouri is part of the Midwest as well.
I've always said, Oklahoma is culturally closer to Alabama than Nebraska.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I've always said, Oklahoma is culturally closer to Alabama than Nebraska.
And that's true. Oklahoma has far more in common with Southern states than the states to the north of it. Oklahoma is not the Midwest at all. Culturally, linguistically, and demographically Oklahoma is a Southern state.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:41 PM

6,854 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
And that's true. Oklahoma has far more in common with Southern states than the states to the north of it. Oklahoma is not the Midwest at all. Culturally, linguistically, and demographically Oklahoma is a Southern state.
Except for NW Oklahoma which has a lot in common with western Kansas and Nebraska.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:45 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,938,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Alas, not all of OK is southern. Several areas definitely feel Midwestern, and even some areas feel Southwestern. Most of OK feels Southern, but not the whole state.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Alas, not all of OK is southern. Several areas definitely feel Midwestern, and even some areas feel Southwestern. Most of OK feels Southern, but not the whole state.
All of Oklahoma is southern in latitude and climate, although more prone to extreme temperature swings compared to the Southeast. No areas of Oklahoma are the Midwest, some areas like Tulsa had a large infusion of eastern money due to energy wealth during the earlier portion of the 20th century, that is one reason why that city has a few more differences compared to the rest of the state, but the difference now is mostly due to old money.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Except for NW Oklahoma which has a lot in common with western Kansas and Nebraska.
And they would have commonalities with the western US, not really anything like the Midwest at all. The 100 degree longitude line is a commonly agreed upon dividing line between the more agrarian settled regions of the Midwest and the semi-arid open ranching lands of the western US common west of that line.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 AM

443 posts, read 1,050,332 times
Upper North Ohio is more NE we sound nothing like Southern Ohio..ie Cincinnati...has a TWANG accent

Old 09-28-2016, 07:17 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
There wasn't a tremendous difference between living in Iowa and living in Indiana. Would definitely say it's more like the plains, outside of Chicago, than the urban northeast.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:20 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Upper North Ohio is more NE we sound nothing like Southern Ohio..ie Cincinnati...has a TWANG accent

Cincinnati does not have a twang accent they are solidly in the Midwest. Northern Ohio is not the NE either it's the the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or