U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2016, 08:35 AM
 
7,778 posts, read 4,642,758 times
Reputation: 8507

Advertisements

Neighborhood; not city, town or county. Predominantly, not plurality.

Fort Greene, Brooklyn used to be my favorite predominantly black neighborhood, but it's no longer predominantly black. I've never been particularly fond of Harlem, possibly because I spent most of my childhood there, during some of the worst years.

Right now, I'd have to say that Chicago's Kenwood neighborhood is my favorite predominantly black neighborhood. Dense, urban, walkable with beautiful single-family homes and apartment buildings. Good access to parks and Lake Michigan. The only thing I don't like is that it's on the Metra, not the El.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 AM
 
30,125 posts, read 27,665,276 times
Reputation: 18713
This thread won't end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 09:35 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
1,198 posts, read 678,793 times
Reputation: 1783
Well there aren't many options unfortunately. Harlem can be a pretty interesting place, but its only interesting now because its diverse and an interesting mix of old school and new gentrification. I sure wouldn't be singing the same tune in the 80s or even 90s.

Point Breeze in Philadelphia is another interesting one, as long as you don't walk too deep into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 AM
 
7,778 posts, read 4,642,758 times
Reputation: 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Well there aren't many options unfortunately. Harlem can be a pretty interesting place, but its only interesting now because its diverse and an interesting mix of old school and new gentrification. I sure wouldn't be singing the same tune in the 80s or even 90s.

Point Breeze in Philadelphia is another interesting one, as long as you don't walk too deep into it.
On the contrary, there are lots of options. The only criteria I put forward are "favorite" and "black".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,889 posts, read 10,452,973 times
Reputation: 8056
The one where I live-Germantown, Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 AM
 
57,118 posts, read 81,546,892 times
Reputation: 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This thread won't end well.
I think it could, as long as people are reasonable in regards to answering the question.

Also, people may have multiple neighborhoods that they like. So, picking a definitive favorite neighborhood may be the hard part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,720,695 times
Reputation: 1742
My favorite is Shaw, Washington DC. I think until very recently it was over 50 percent black, now it's just on the cusp of being 50%.

https://goo.gl/maps/mMk6GADCP5G2

https://goo.gl/maps/HKoi5n8aJnL2

https://goo.gl/maps/3D9nj82tq6q

https://goo.gl/maps/wnLXHFbv1sD2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,721 posts, read 1,420,189 times
Reputation: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
My favorite is Shaw, Washington DC. I think until very recently it was over 50 percent black, now it's just on the cusp of being 50%.

https://goo.gl/maps/mMk6GADCP5G2

https://goo.gl/maps/HKoi5n8aJnL2

https://goo.gl/maps/3D9nj82tq6q

https://goo.gl/maps/wnLXHFbv1sD2
Interesting. I always thought of Shaw as a "gayborhood" and never connected that it had a large African-American population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 12:51 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,484 posts, read 2,248,484 times
Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Neighborhood; not city, town or county. Predominantly, not plurality.

Fort Greene, Brooklyn used to be my favorite predominantly black neighborhood, but it's no longer predominantly black. I've never been particularly fond of Harlem, possibly because I spent most of my childhood there, during some of the worst years.

Right now, I'd have to say that Chicago's Kenwood neighborhood is my favorite predominantly black neighborhood. Dense, urban, walkable with beautiful single-family homes and apartment buildings. Good access to parks and Lake Michigan. The only thing I don't like is that it's on the Metra, not the El.
The Obamas' Chicago home is located there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,720,695 times
Reputation: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Interesting. I always thought of Shaw as a "gayborhood" and never connected that it had a large African-American population.
Yeah, Shaw is also a gayborhood. It's up there with Logan, Dupont, Noma, U-street, ect. but it's definitely very much so an African American neighborhood, at least historically. It's home to Howard, which is arguably one of the most well-known HBCU's. While it's not majority black it still is largely black (plurality):
Non- Hispanic Black : 45%
non-Hispanic white: 32%
Hispanic: 9%
Asian: 8%
Mixed race: 2%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top