Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

I think the most heavily latino city in the US is South Gate, CA (93% hispanic), but it is very high crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 01:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I can't claim to know how Cuban or Puerto Rican neighborhoods are, but Mexican and Hispano neighborhoods tend to (more often than not, unfortunately) have more of these bad things OP speak of.

I grew up in a Mexican (67.3%) neighborhood (74.6% Latino): http://www.city-data.com/city/Home-G...alifornia.html.

and we had high crime (burglary, theft, and many of the requisite bars on windows to prevent said things)
fat people
gang violence (shootings, drive-bys)
and people had a hard enough time finishing high school, let alone college

along with a lot of teen pregnancy, drug use, alcohol problems, poverty, language isolation, and a lack of services (unincorporated county area, e.g. no park to play in, no library until recently, all shopping in adjacent cities).

Many of these "bad things" are cultural. Vestiges of the old countries. Still a better life in America though, and the children of newly arrived immigrants don't always appreciate how good they have it. Education isn't always a priority, and things like crime, gang violence, and cyclical poverty sprout up out of that.

In urban California, Latinos who are better off don't segregate themselves into rich little Latino enclaves. They live where rich people of all kinds live. Which is how it should be tbh.

In California's Central Valley, and farm towns in Oregon and Washington, these places were founded on agriculture, and have little more to offer than farm towns in other states, and some of them turn out like the neighborhood I grew up in (but occasionally with less crime), but also contain no more upward mobility (again, cultural).

In Colorado and New Mexico, the Hispanic/Latino neighborhoods have less of an excuse. They more often than not are Americans, they more often speak English, but yet these places still have many of the same problems with achieving upward mobility. My hypothesis is cyclical poverty in many of the cases within these states.

Also, to a much greater extent than California, Colorado's Hispanic/Latinos do tend to segregate themselves more (both rich and poor), and if there is a "better to do" Hispanic/Latino community (as OP describes) within Colorado, it would be the northern half of the city of Thornton, and the surrounding area (Reunion, Dacono/Frederick/Firestone, Brighton, etc). This area is still not majority or plurality Hispanic/Latino, but is no less than 25%, and middle class+, but also not necessarily elite by any stretch of the imagination.
Hmm well here in NYC, the Mexican neighborhoods don't tend to be bad. They're immigrant heavy and lower income for the most part, but don't seem to have a lot of violent crime.

Although plenty of Mexicans also have moved into bad neighborhoods that were traditionally Puerto Rican and Black (East Harlem, Mott Haven), but they've gotten better over the years and I wouldn't blame any of these neighborhood's problems on Mexicans.

There are a lot of Mexicans in NYC, but there aren't any neighborhoods like Boyle Heights in Los Angeles that are 95% Mexican.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think the most heavily latino city in the US is South Gate, CA (93% hispanic), but it is very high crime
There are cities in Southern Texas that are even more heavily Latino. To my knowledge they aren't high crime.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:09 PM

515 posts, read 624,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To search for Hispanic cities that are NOT the "bad things" would suggest to me that the presumption is that majority/plurality Hispanic cities are presumed to be the bad things.
You're correct, that is the assumption. How many stand out on the good worldwide?

Old 10-05-2016, 05:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Hmm well here in NYC, the Mexican neighborhoods don't tend to be bad. They're immigrant heavy and lower income for the most part, but don't seem to have a lot of violent crime.

Although plenty of Mexicans also have moved into bad neighborhoods that were traditionally Puerto Rican and Black (East Harlem, Mott Haven), but they've gotten better over the years and I wouldn't blame any of these neighborhood's problems on Mexicans.

There are a lot of Mexicans in NYC, but there aren't any neighborhoods like Boyle Heights in Los Angeles that are 95% Mexican.
Yeah I think it all depends on neighborhoods. Here in Texas there are polished neighborhoods with many Mexicans, but you will also find others that are shady. This pretty much applies to all races now that I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.