U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:17 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,850 times

Advertisements

St. Louis has the Gateway Arch. You can see for miles in both directions. Chicago has the Sears Tower and Hancock. New York has three: The Empire State Building, the World Trade Center, and the GE building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 08:30 AM

774 posts, read 841,779 times
DC also had the Old Post Office Building before Trump bought it and made it a hotel, but I visited this a couple times. It's only about 150 feet up, but you still get a nice view of the Mall/downtown due to the city's height limits along with the fact that only the Capitol dome and Washington Monument are taller than this building. It is currently closed indefinitely, and there was even a function where you could activate the bells and IMO is America's answer to Big Ben.

Another underrated spot to visit is from the Gaylord National Hotel at National Harbor by taking the elevator to the top floor and then looking out the window on one side where you get a view in addition to the Potomac River of Alexandria, Reagan National Airport where if you have binoculars you can see the airplanes taking off and landing, and some of the monuments from DC.

Baltimore of course has its own World Trade Center observation deck with a sweeping view of the harbor and the city.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,665,396 times
I dont think mine does.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 2,522 times
Philly From The Top is an amazing experience. I can see things that usually mark T-30-45 minutes to the city.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 PM

338 posts, read 304,236 times
Erie, PA has the Bicentennial Tower downtown on the bayfront. It gives great views of Lake Erie, Presque Isle and the city of Erie.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,673,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
DC also had the Old Post Office Building before Trump bought it and made it a hotel, but I visited this a couple times. It's only about 150 feet up, but you still get a nice view of the Mall/downtown due to the city's height limits along with the fact that only the Capitol dome and Washington Monument are taller than this building. It is currently closed indefinitely, and there was even a function where you could activate the bells and IMO is America's answer to Big Ben.

Another underrated spot to visit is from the Gaylord National Hotel at National Harbor by taking the elevator to the top floor and then looking out the window on one side where you get a view in addition to the Potomac River of Alexandria, Reagan National Airport where if you have binoculars you can see the airplanes taking off and landing, and some of the monuments from DC.

Baltimore of course has its own World Trade Center observation deck with a sweeping view of the harbor and the city.
The Old Post Office Pavilion closed??? I worked across the street from it for 9 years. I always took guests there for a great view of the city - plus you got to see the Washington Monument in the view! Can't believe it closed - what a bummer.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:05 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The Old Post Office Pavilion closed??? I worked across the street from it for 9 years. I always took guests there for a great view of the city - plus you got to see the Washington Monument in the view! Can't believe it closed - what a bummer.
Actually, it just opened on September 12 as the newest Trump International Hotel.

I think Ivanka Trump carried out most of the renovations and the best views of the Monument are now reserved for the priciest room.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:25 PM

93 posts, read 55,097 times
Chicago has the skydeck from the top of the Sears Tower:

and one from the Top of the John Hancock:

Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 PM

862 posts, read 750,951 times
As far as I know Denver doesn't have one but apparently they did back in the 1980s. The story I was told back in 1989 according to a friend of mine who in those days had worked for KWGN channel 2 was that somebody had tried to kill themselves on the top floor of the "cash register building" today's Wells Fargo Center so the city of Denver and the owners of the building decided to close the area to the public and more than likely it is still closed today.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,579 times
Dallas- Reunion Tower, Also the Chase- "Key Hole" Building Downtown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or