U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 10,515,233 times

Advertisements

One of the things I like to do when visiting a new city (in America) is see if that city has an observation deck and go up there. Believe it or not, not every city does. So tell us about the observation deck that your city has or doesn't have. Is it in a historical building? Do tourists not know about it? Is it free?

I visit Los Angeles once a year and love their observation deck. It's in City Hall in Downtown LA. Most locals don't know about it. City Hall itself is a historical building, has nice architecture, and the observation deck is actually free. There is also a big room where you can learn about the former mayors of LA and the history of the city and stuff.

I visited Seattle in 2008 and back then went to the top of the Colombia Center...it was only 5 bucks and wasn't promoted heavily. Now they have a whole website dedicated to the observation deck and it's $14.75 to go up. Most people do the Space Needle, but you actually get a better view from Colombia.

What are some of your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 PM

543 posts, read 312,673 times
Cleveland has Terminal Tower that was built in 1930 by the Van Sweringen brothers. The brothers were in the railroad business and the tower was built as the Cleveland Union Terminal. When it opened in 1930 until 1964, it was the 2nd tallest building in North America. It stands on Cleveland's public square and contains the downtown station for Cleveland's rail system. (If you're coming from the airport, just hop on the red line and take it to downtown, the Tower City Station.)

There is an observation deck on the 42nd floor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

Old 09-24-2016, 01:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,242,969 times
LA also has the new observation deck in the Library tower (OUE Skyspace), and the new Wilshire Grand will also have an OD once complete.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
I've always felt they should be standard at suburban WalMarts in the South. Can you imagine the endless hours of entertainment value?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM

311 posts, read 218,408 times
Philly has two great options:
An observation deck at the top of City Hall ($5 admission I think) and "Philly from the Top." The latter opened just last November at the top of One Liberty Place, the city's second (soon to be third) tallest skyscraper.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
One of the things I like to do when visiting a new city (in America) is see if that city has an observation deck and go up there. Believe it or not, not every city does. So tell us about the observation deck that your city has or doesn't have. Is it in a historical building? Do tourists not know about it? Is it free?

I visit Los Angeles once a year and love their observation deck. It's in City Hall in Downtown LA. Most locals don't know about it. City Hall itself is a historical building, has nice architecture, and the observation deck is actually free. There is also a big room where you can learn about the former mayors of LA and the history of the city and stuff.

I visited Seattle in 2008 and back then went to the top of the Colombia Center...it was only 5 bucks and wasn't promoted heavily. Now they have a whole website dedicated to the observation deck and it's $14.75 to go up. Most people do the Space Needle, but you actually get a better view from Colombia.

What are some of your favorites?
Seattle also has the Smith Tower, with the deck probably around 400' in a building that dates to 1914. This was low-key until the inside recently opened as a bar.

Also, hilly cities and bay/river cities all have tons of observation points. Seattle, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, New York, etc. have many.

Even so, the Space Needle gets packed. You can wait over an hour in the summer even after the long line for a ticket.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:03 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
The Washington Monument

My favorite observation deck in the world is still the Empire State Building. I went up the Burj Khalifa last month and the view just doesn't compare.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,798,916 times
Huntsville Alabama doesn't have a skyscraper with an observation deck, however we do have an observation mountain (view from Monte Sano Mountain):

Old 09-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
Mine does.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Washington Monument

My favorite observation deck in the world is still the Empire State Building. I went up the Burj Khalifa last month and the view just doesn't compare.
The ESB has nostalgia, but I prefer the top of Rockefeller Center as I think you get better photos ops from where its positioned. It has a much better view of Central Park, and then when looking towards Lower Manhattan you get the ESB in your view as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or