Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State withLeast relevent Flagship School
NY 5 35.71%
MA 2 14.29%
RI 4 28.57%
Other 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 AM

14,004 posts, read 14,968,134 times

Advertisements

At least in RI, Providence College seems to be the most prominate school in regards to sports or general profile, as opposed to URI.
This may be because URI is out in the hinterlands, although that fact doesn't seem to hurt UConns pull over metro Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 04:00 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,530,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
At least in RI, Providence College seems to be the most prominate school in regards to sports or general profile, as opposed to URI.
This may be because URI is out in the hinterlands, although that fact doesn't seem to hurt UConns pull over metro Hartford.

Providence College has the most prominent profile in RI? That would certainly be news to Brown University.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,943,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, when I think UMass, I think of the main campus in Amherst. It is actually known for its sports program(Basketball in particular). There are people that are familiar with Dr. J and the Calipari coached teams in the 90's.
The state made a concerted effort to call that campus UMass Amherst some time around the turn of the 21st century. I remember reading articles from alumni who weren't happy about the change.

New York is actually the odd man out here, because it does not actually have a state flagship.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 PM

14,004 posts, read 14,968,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The state made a concerted effort to call that campus UMass Amherst some time around the turn of the 21st century. I remember reading articles from alumni who weren't happy about the change.

New York is actually the odd man out here, because it does not actually have a state flagship.
It has happened as UMass Lowell Tripled in size (and changed its name from ULowell), and Umass Boston grew as well. So it wasn't like they were trying to slight UMass Amherst, its just that it wasn't the only major UMass anymore.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,394,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

The state actually fairly recently passed a law legally naming the Amherst Campus the flagship campus.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,394,678 times
Quote:
Within the state is pretty much ignored. Within Mass, when saying Umass you generally say which one, particularly Lowell is almost a co-flagship. This is due to the fact there is a plethora of large Universities in Eastern Mass like Harvard, Tufts, Northeastern BC, BU, UMass Lowell, all with more pull and relevance than UMass Amherst over large areas of the State.
You won't find many Minutemen Fans in Haverhill Mass like you would find Spartan Fans in Grand Rapids or Buckeye Fans in Cleveland.
Lots of people go to Umass or URI or SUNY schools but not many have it as part of their identity like out west.
How is Lowell almost a co-flagship? Are there any credible rankings that have the Lowell or Boston campus anywhere near the Amherst campuses?

Old 09-28-2016, 02:35 AM

14,182 posts, read 22,697,172 times
Quote:
Which state has the least culturally relevant Flagship State University.
It would probably come down to URI, UMass Amherst, and SUNY Buffalo.
for example, you would never have to say Ohio State-Columbus, people just know.
Some schools are part of the cultural fabric and identity of the state they are in (Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon)
Some are in the middle (Cal, Illinois, Wisconsin, UGA)
NY, MA, RI, especially seem to have little regard for their public systems.
This is not "what state has the worst public university" but which is most ignored.
The University of Georgia is a big deal in Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, when I think UMass, I think of the main campus in Amherst. It is actually known for its sports program(Basketball in particular).
Unfortunately, UMass makes me think of Trigglypuff these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.