U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 PM

108 posts, read 59,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
BS.. all these have wonderful weather now, especially Tampa, Miami and NO.. clear days low 60s-upper 70s..it will remain like that until April-May.. hardly the worst weather in the country.
Exactly, Houston, New Orleans have nothing but 60s and 70s in the forecast, with Tampa and Miami having 70s and 80s, and Phoenix having 70s. The rest of the country outside the West Coast and coastal SE gets too cold in winter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:40 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,138 posts, read 3,429,651 times
People often don't realize that my native Boston has the highest avg wind speed among major cities, even worse than Chicago. So you get five months of cold, ice, snow that takes forever to melt, and nasty winds. After this, it has the slowest onset of Spring in the U.S.. Even Minnesota is warmer in April and May. So many Spring days marked by "wind swept rain" with temps struggling to break out of the 40s. Especially nice when it happens a week before Memorial Day.

Love Boston, but the climate is impossible.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:05 AM

6,958 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
People often don't realize that my native Boston has the highest avg wind speed among major cities, even worse than Chicago. So you get five months of cold, ice, snow that takes forever to melt, and nasty winds. After this, it has the slowest onset of Spring in the U.S.. Even Minnesota is warmer in April and May. So many Spring days marked by "wind swept rain" with temps struggling to break out of the 40s. Especially nice when it happens a week before Memorial Day.

Love Boston, but the climate is impossible.
Yeah but then in summer, Boston seems to escape the brunt of the heatwaves. It gets hot there, but normally not even close to the temperatures that people suffer from DC all the way up through NYC.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 AM

7,701 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah but then in summer, Boston seems to escape the brunt of the heatwaves. It gets hot there, but normally not even close to the temperatures that people suffer from DC all the way up through NYC.
I have to agree with this. Places with blistering cold winters AND sweltering summers are the worst of both worlds.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I have to agree with this. Places with blistering cold winters AND sweltering summers are the worst of both worlds.
Those are all my favorite cities. DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC. But it's for the urbanness and the culture and the architecture and the people. Yes, I like Philly and NYC people haha. I will be the first to admit they have HORRIBLE climates though. This past summer, the heat index read 128 a few days on Weather Underground by my place in South Philly. And we all know this region of the country gets hit by massive snow storms also. If those cities didn't have so much history and culture, they would not be the size they are with that climate.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:39 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
LOL it's so funny how people on here are labeling western and southern cities i.e. Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Tampa, ect. as cities with the worst climate. Just shows you how big of an east coast bias this forum contains.

The climate in Phoenix this week :
69/51
72/52
75/52
77/53
73/49
64/43
62/44
62/44
Climate in Dallas this week:
71/53
67/45
71/51
64/47
67/53
72/59
65/47/64/43

Climate in Minneapolis:
34/32(snow)
36/29 (snow)
35/30
35/27
44/33
43/38
41/20
36/28 (snow)
Climate in Syracuse:
32/24(snow)
35/27
35/55
42/31
36/26

I mean seriously???? and this is only november....

While it gets hotter than hell in a lot of southwestern cities and hot and humid as hell in a lot of southern cities, as other posters have said, many of these cities get 7 months of great weather. For me the cities with the worst climates are those who experience the extremes on both ends i.e. cold winters and humid summers (I guess one could make an argument that Dallas fits this catagory. My friend moved from Phoenix to Chicago and said that the summers in Chicago can be "disgusting feeling" as he put it. I've also been to Minnesota in the summer and found it to be way more humid than I had expected it to be. Having said that I'd take a very hot 4 month summer in the pool surrounded by palm trees over a bone chilling cold 5 month winter full of snow, high winds, grey skies and barren trees.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:12 PM

It's not an east coast bias. It's a preference. I personally love bundling up in winter. I can't wait for it to snow!! I love the leaves falling. I like the chill in the air. I like seeing my breath. The highs in the 50s and 60s are, IMO, annoying. Neither hot nor cold. I like the varying temperatures. It's all personal preference though.

To me, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Phoenix are all top cities for worst climate. Because I don't like extremely high temperatures. I'd rather have 80s with humidity than 110* dry heat. It's till 110 no matter what you say. And Houston with its near 100* temperatures plus insane humidity sounds absolutely miserable. I'd rather have 110* dry in Phoenix than 100* humid in Houston.

I understand people hate cold weather though. It's all personal opinion. Nobody can be WRONG. If there was a wrong answer to this, we'd either all be living in border/Gulf Coast states or hugging the Great Lakes and Atlantic Coast.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:15 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Houston seems too hot and Minneapolis seems too cold. Phoenix is obviously the hottest, but that dry heat is much different than humid heat. Same way the 52 degrees I felt Saturday with wind was much more brutal than the 52 degrees with no wind I felt yesterday.

I've always wondered, how did Minneapolis-Saint Paul get so big with such brutal temps? How on Earth do people tolerate this? Lol.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:20 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's not an east coast bias. It's a preference. I personally love bundling up in winter. I can't wait for it to snow!! I love the leaves falling. I like the chill in the air. I like seeing my breath. The highs in the 50s and 60s are, IMO, annoying. Neither hot nor cold. I like the varying temperatures. It's all personal preference though.

To me, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Phoenix are all top cities for worst climate. Because I don't like extremely high temperatures. I'd rather have 80s with humidity than 110* dry heat. It's till 110 no matter what you say. And Houston with its near 100* temperatures plus insane humidity sounds absolutely miserable. I'd rather have 110* dry in Phoenix than 100* humid in Houston.

I understand people hate cold weather though. It's all personal opinion. Nobody can be WRONG. If there was a wrong answer to this, we'd either all be living in border/Gulf Coast states or hugging the Great Lakes and Atlantic Coast.
Bais/preference... yeah, I guess you could say a lot of ppl are just comfortable with the climates they are used to so for an east coast person, the climate of Columbus, Ohio seems more preferable than the climate of Austin, TX.

Weather preference is an interesting thing, for example I'm definitly not a fan of the climate in LA even though a large chunk of the country views LA's climate as extremely desirable.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:35 PM

970 posts, read 1,639,581 times
My climate preferences are really the only preferences and perfectly and absolutely match my city. If your stated preferences differ from my universal preferences, you're just bein a homer and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.