U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 11:16 AM

74 posts, read 40,752 times

Advertisements

Anyone not saying Syracuse needs to be enlightened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 23 days ago)

8,713 posts, read 10,850,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTalk View Post
Anyone not saying Syracuse needs to be enlightened.
Lots of that Lake Effect Snow makes it especially, well, snowy! But, the cloud cover, wow, intense. I lived there for a very short time. At night, the sky was so white, so cloudy, never saw that anywhere else. Takes a special person to adapt to some of these climates. I think a drizzly, rainy place is difficult, too. And places w/ intense heat like Phoenix. Dry heat, ha, like an oven for many months.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 PM

74 posts, read 40,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Lots of that Lake Effect Snow makes it especially, well, snowy! But, the cloud cover, wow, intense. I lived there for a very short time. At night, the sky was so white, so cloudy, never saw that anywhere else. Takes a special person to adapt to some of these climates. I think a drizzly, rainy place is difficult, too. And places w/ intense heat like Phoenix. Dry heat, ha, like an oven for many months.

Yep, Syracuse had a warm and dry winter last year (2015-2016), with record low snowfall, but it usually averages 120" a year.

Summertime was the hottest on record as well. Droughts and 90+ days dominated the summer. It's really, both extremes.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 PM

721 posts, read 300,544 times
Minneapolis. Hands down worst weather.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:11 PM

189 posts, read 109,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
To me, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Phoenix are all top cities for worst climate. Because I don't like extremely high temperatures. I'd rather have 80s with humidity than 110* dry heat. It's till 110 no matter what you say. And Houston with its near 100* temperatures plus insane humidity sounds absolutely miserable. I'd rather have 110* dry in Phoenix than 100* humid in Houston.
Average summer highs in Houston, like the rest of the coastal SE US, are no higher than the low 90s during the hottest month. Humidity suppresses summer temps (as it is moisture in the air), so with the normal high amounts, temps don't go higher than 95F on most summer days in these cities; whenever you see triple digit temps in these cities, the air is much drier than normal, without much of the high moisture that would keep the temps down. Because of this inverse relationship with temperature vs humidity, it is practically impossible to see both 100F heat AND high humidity.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:28 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,888,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
Average summer highs in Houston, like the rest of the coastal SE US, are no higher than the low 90s during the hottest month. Humidity suppresses summer temps (as it is moisture in the air), so with the normal high amounts, temps don't go higher than 95F on most summer days in these cities; whenever you see triple digit temps in these cities, the air is much drier than normal, without much of the high moisture that would keep the temps down. Because of this inverse relationship with temperature vs humidity, it is practically impossible to see both 100F heat AND high humidity.
I was in DC over the summer and there were strings of days with over 100F heat index. The humidity is what drives it that high.

You're right that its tough to have both very high, but indexes can still easily climb over 100 with real temps only in the 80's.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:55 PM

737 posts, read 1,413,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The same way it's hard for me to tolerate 110 degree heat index in the summer, I don't understand how people tolerate -20 degree wind chill. Even with the brutal winters, Minneapolis still has over 3 million people and is growing faster other, "warmer" Midwestern cities, so I was just curious on what you guys to do manage.

There was no attitude, your winters are brutal. I wanted to know how you get through it. I'd ask the same thing about people in Alaska and Buffalo. I've never experienced that lifestyle, so I wanted to know what it's like.
As a kid who grew up in SC and lived the last 7 years in Minneapolis, the best answer for me is you get used to it. The majority of winter in Minnesota isn't spent with wind chills that low. The only time the rest of the country pays attention to the area is when a large winter storm comes thru. Without a doubt most of winter is cold but its quite tolerable with the proper clothing (down jacket, gloves, scarf, hat), so much so that even a South Carolina Sandlapper could manage it. The worst months are usually late Dec, Jan, and Feb. People there embrace winter. Its a part of the culture and its celebrated with many festivals (outdoor), winter sports, and other activities.

As stated earlier the worst part of winter is the darkness. I found adapting to the cold easier than anticipated, it was the darkness that wears on you. I was so happy each year when Dec 21 hit because I knew the sun was making a comeback!

The area largely grew to its size with the help of big agriculture, the mills that feed the nation breakfast every morning, and all of the fortune 500s in the metro. The strong economy begat the strong and stable growth.

Last edited by sandlapper; 11-26-2016 at 12:16 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 12:57 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
The worst part of winter is standing outside scraping the car first thing every morning, or worse if you don't drive, waiting on public transportation. Otherwise it's really not that bad, and kinda nice on your days off when you have an excuse to stay inside and drink a hot beverage all day long.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:29 AM

3,571 posts, read 2,588,087 times
Minneapolis

Old 11-26-2016, 01:30 AM

3,571 posts, read 2,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The worst part of winter is standing outside scraping the car first thing every morning, or worse if you don't drive, waiting on public transportation. Otherwise it's really not that bad, and kinda nice on your days off when you have an excuse to stay inside and drink a hot beverage all day long.
LoL that sounds awful. California winter is so much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.