Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 11:55 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Yeah, Upstate NY sounds tragic
I live in Rochester NY and love the weather. Sure the winters are cold but I find that 10 mouths out of the year are very enjoyable minus Feb and March. April-June are are mixed with nice cool days and spring like weather. July-mid sept are nice and warm. Late sept - mid nov are nice fall days. Late nov- late January are nice winter days filled with snow.

I'm born and raised in GA. Give me upstate NY weather over heat and humidity any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If Philly can do it, Houston can do it. Many days this summer in Philly had highs in the mid 90s with high humidity. Several days had a heat index of over 100. During the worst heat wave, Weather Underground had the South Philly location with a heat index of 128. I have the screenshot on my phone to prove it.

So yeah, if Philly can have mid 90s and near 100 with high humidity, Houston easily can. Obviously that's not every single day, but it happens much more often the further south you go.
You are correct. I've lived in both cities and can assure you that Philly summers are a walk in the park compared with Houston's.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You are correct. I've lived in both cities and can assure you that Philly summers are a walk in the park compared with Houston's.
Thanks for confirming that I can't move to Houston. I was ready to melt this summer in Philly

Old 11-27-2016, 06:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
As a kid who grew up in SC and lived the last 7 years in Minneapolis, the best answer for me is you get used to it. The majority of winter in Minnesota isn't spent with wind chills that low. The only time the rest of the country pays attention to the area is when a large winter storm comes thru. Without a doubt most of winter is cold but its quite tolerable with the proper clothing (down jacket, gloves, scarf, hat), so much so that even a South Carolina Sandlapper could manage it. The worst months are usually late Dec, Jan, and Feb. People there embrace winter. Its a part of the culture and its celebrated with many festivals (outdoor), winter sports, and other activities.

As stated earlier the worst part of winter is the darkness. I found adapting to the cold easier than anticipated, it was the darkness that wears on you. I was so happy each year when Dec 21 hit because I knew the sun was making a comeback!

The area largely grew to its size with the help of big agriculture, the mills that feed the nation breakfast every morning, and all of the fortune 500s in the metro. The strong economy begat the strong and stable growth.
This is very informative. Thanks for this.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:34 PM

525 posts, read 718,499 times
I strongly dislike hot and humid summers.

I prefer the Upper Midwest, such as Minneapolis/St. Paul and Colorado.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:04 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
This thread is about the worst weather climates, not the best.
Best ?????
All of the Coastal California is boring and monotonous as hell in term of climate...

Old 11-28-2016, 05:04 PM

431 posts, read 521,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
It's bad for like 6-12 weeks depending on the year and your definition of 'bad'. Some winters we have 60 inches of snow. The last few we barely had any. Some years we get several weeks where temps are below 20. Some years it rarely hits negative.

This morning - first snow. 2 inches, wet and sticky. My daughters built snowmen. My dog ran through the woods eating snow and rolling around like she was on drugs. I shoveled then helped put carrots on snowmen for their noses.

Basically Jan-Feb are the real bad months. Dec and March can range from decent to tolerable. April and November you can play golf, mow your lawn, fish and play outside.

The most difficult part is the darkness. It gets dark in the winter months around 4:30 PM. Many people commute to and from work in low light or darkness. If you completely resettled the US tomorrow and there was no existing infrastructure, workforce, corporate jobs or family ties, it would be highly unlikely to have a metro area of more than 3 million in Minnesota. Yet by most objective metrics the Twin Cities and Minnesota in general are some of the best places to live in the country.

I grew up here and believe that dealing with winter weather and snow and learning how to deal with both heat and extreme cold challenge me and strengthen me at least a bit. I went to Europe in January in college and spent three days in Stockholm in January and I could enjoy the city because I wasn't paralyzed by the temperatures. I've also spent weeks in Phoenix in the summertime and lived part of my life in central Arizona. I would honestly say our winters are just as inconvenient as a Phoenix or Houston or Miami summer.
LMAO the weather in Minneapolis is not bad for only 6-12 weeks.
Also just wondering why you think a winter in MN is just as inconvenient as a summer in Phoenix/Houston/or Miami? While it might feel uncomfortable there is nothing SUPER inconvenient about a hot summer. You don't have to cancel school, traffic doesn't back up, you don't have to shovel snow, you also don't have to worry about power outages, damage, or being isolated due to harsh climates,ect. My aunt and her family moved to Phoenix and I've been to Florida in the summer. I honestly even think a Boston winter is more inconvenient than a southwestern summer. I'm sorry but I'd take a summer in AZ/TX/or FLA over a MN winter any day of the year....a lot of ppl would. I guess that's why there are so many midwesterners who have moved to Phoenix and Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up_jqEF2Kio

Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 PM

189 posts, read 166,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Best ?????
All of the Coastal California is boring and monotonous as hell in term of climate...
Exactly.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:54 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
For me personally, worse would be Portland, Seattle, and New Orleans. The constant damp/dreary/cloudy climate of the PNW would be depressing. Though heat and humidity generally doesn't bother me, it's just a bit too overwhelming in the NO area. Climate wise, the rest of the country I could handle with no problem.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:31 PM

189 posts, read 166,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
For me personally, worse would be Portland, Seattle, and New Orleans. The constant damp/dreary/cloudy climate of the PNW would be depressing. Though heat and humidity generally doesn't bother me, it's just a bit too overwhelming in the NO area. Climate wise, the rest of the country I could handle with no problem.
New Orleans isn't going to be much different than the rest of the coastal Southern US, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.