U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 18,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Summers are very nice in Seattle. Mostly Sunny all summer long and usually not hot. Also, Seattle is warm in the Winter considering how far North it is.
Seattle summers are nice but that's only for a couple of months. The rest of the year it's awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 04:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,281,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
For having both cold winter and hot summers...Probably OKC, Omaha, Dallas
There is a difference between actually being cold vs having certain occurrences of cold in winter. While Dallas can get potent arctic blasts during winter, it can hardly be described as being truly cold that season.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:24 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Penhold View Post
Agree about Seattle. Lousy weather- and yes it does rain a lot, plus even when it doesn't rain it's always cloudy. The Weather Channel called Seattle the cloudiest city in America. And it's true.

https://weather.com/news/weather/vid...ajor-us-cities
Many areas of Europe have far less sunlight hours than Seattle. I can't stand most climates of the US because of the oppressive sun angle combined with low latitude. Seattle has a pleasant mild climate compared to many areas of the US, and I don't mind clouds if it means little excessive heat and humidity. Unfortunately, few climates in the US are a match compared to most of Europe, and I have mostly northern European ancestry. The UP of Michigan is a snowier version of southern Scandinavia with warmer summer high temperatures, and I do like that area quite a bit.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 PM

406 posts, read 288,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
First let me explain my criteria. Freezing cold windy winters with lots of snow, Scorching hot and humid summers with frequent thunderstorms, short springs and falls, minimal nice 75 degree sunny days, on average substantially more cloudy days a year than sunny days. Without looking up weather data I'm just going to take a random guess and say Des Moines Iowa?????
New York fits your criteria pretty well.

Firstly, the winters here, if you are like me and don't like the cold, are MISERABLE. Windy, dark, blizzards, horrible traffic/roads, good amount of days that get below 20 and feel like negative temps with the wind chill.

The summers, though not as bad as most southern cities, can be very bad if you don't like humidity. They are similar in a way to FL summers because of the occasional heat rain storms that occur around the middle of the day. This type of weather doesn't bother me though, as I hate the cold.

The city can get pretty smoggy in the summer, pollution is bad and, IMO, the city smells awful during the summer. One time I was walking through lower Manhattan and honestly had to take out my inhaler thats how bad it was.

Spring here is good and bad. Decent temperatures from 60s-mid 70s, not that humid. However, it's short, usually only lasting middle of March-May and if you have allergies, you are in for it. This past allergy season was a killer.

Fall is very comfortable for the most part. Cool temps during the day, and night can get cold. However, the majority of September can be hot, as it is still considered summer.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:50 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
First let me explain my criteria. Freezing cold windy winters with lots of snow, Scorching hot and humid summers with frequent thunderstorms, short springs and falls, minimal nice 75 degree sunny days, on average substantially more cloudy days a year than sunny days. Without looking up weather data I'm just going to take a random guess and say Des Moines Iowa?????
Des Moines goes from the middle of March to the Middle of November with average highs between 50 and 86 degrees. It can get hot during that period, but honestly April through October are great in that city, and that's over half the year. Really only December to February are freezing cold on average, and even then it's perfectly normal to have large numbers of days well above freezing.

I guess it's all your taste as well, as I LOVE thunderstorms and snowstorms.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
This winter has been crazy in Chicago. Started off freezing with snow in early December....then nothing. We had 13 days in February with temps in the 50's to 70's. It's still February now and I have all my windows open.

This is set to go down as the first winter EVER that the city has had NO snow from December 21st to March 21st. It's now been 73 day since we had that one snowfall in mid December.

Looking at the next 15 days:

2 days in the 30's
2 days in the 40's
7 days in the 50's
4 days in the 60's.

The average high right now is barely into the low 40's.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 2,766 times
Personally, I love snowy winters and strongly prefer cold weather to hot (you can always wear layers on a cold day, but you could be nude on a hot day and still sweat profusely), so my criteria for horrible weather diverge from the OP's. My ideal climate would consist of Chicago/Northeastern winters (granted, I don't drive ) and San Francisco summers.

That said, I've visited New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Beaumont, TX, and I'm no fan of the climate of the South: hot, humid, and prone to hurricanes (near the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Ocean) or tornadoes (farther inland). I also probably would not tolerate Phoenix (or the entire Southwestern United States, for that matter) very well.

Last edited by 60616; 02-28-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,941,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60616 View Post
Personally, I love snowy winters and strongly prefer cold weather to hot (you can always wear layers on a cold day, but you could be nude on a hot day and still sweat profusely), so my criteria for horrible weather diverge from the OP's. My ideal climate would consist of Chicago/Northeastern winters (granted, I don't drive ) and San Francisco summers.

That said, I've visited New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Beaumont, TX, and I'm no fan of the climate of the South: hot, humid, and prone to hurricanes (near the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Ocean) or tornadoes (farther inland). I also probably would not tolerate Phoenix (or the entire Southwestern United States, for that matter) very well.
You are aware that most of the SW is quite cold in the winter, and many areas are colder and far snowier than Chicago, right? Its only the very low lying areas of the SW that are "warm" in the winter. And even then, theyre not as warm as you think. And during the summer, those same areas are extremely tolerable due to their high altitudes. Places like Flagstaff have about a nice of a summer as you can imagine. Head 2 hours south to Phoenix, though, and you have some of the hottest temps on Earth.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
South Florida with its miserable, stifling humidity for most of the year.

Tampa gets just as bad but for 4-5 months. The rest of the year is tolerable to beautiful.
Orlando trumps South Florida for worst as at least much of South Florida gets a breeze off the water.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,281,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando trumps South Florida for worst as at least much of South Florida gets a breeze off the water.
That's just about being inland or on the shoreline. Inland areas of South Florida aren't seeing strong sea-breeze, but coastal areas of Central Florida do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.