U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 02:59 PM

686 posts, read 399,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
That's just about being inland or on the shoreline. Inland areas of South Florida aren't seeing strong sea-breeze, but coastal areas of Central Florida do.
yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,728,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
First let me explain my criteria. Freezing cold windy winters with lots of snow, Scorching hot and humid summers with frequent thunderstorms, short springs and falls, minimal nice 75 degree sunny days, on average substantially more cloudy days a year than sunny days. Without looking up weather data I'm just going to take a random guess and say Des Moines Iowa?????
I would consider that an ideal climate, not a "worst" one.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,470 times
I know this may be hard to believe, but Summers can get pretty hot and humid in the Poconos in Pennsylvania and then of course you have the long grey gloomy snowy Winters.
There's really not that many sunny days here. In fact, when the weatherman says it's going to be partly sunny, really what he means is a lighter shade of grey.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:07 PM

105 posts, read 59,550 times
Only people from the Pacific Northwest and Upstate NY can ***** about gloomy weather. They really know what it's like to live in it.

It's on another level than what Chicago, or the Eastern seaboard ***** about.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Pittsburgh has my vote.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:24 AM

124 posts, read 97,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This sounds like Detroit, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Green Bay or Milwaulkee. You described these Midwestern towns down to a tee.
Ummm no, Detroit has a rather pleasant climate in zone 6b it's actually similar to Tennessee's climate and the same as Boston's, you get the normal seasonal climate. Hardly bad at all, spring is absolutely stunning in the city.

Worst climate by far is in the PNW and Minnesota.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
I think upstate cities in New York--particularly Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Utica-- have the worst climates. Mostly because of the long snowy winters and bleak springs. Syracuse has one of the highest snowfall totals of any city in North America.

But summers aren't too bad. Somewhat cloudy, occasional humidity, and thunderstorms. But quite tolerable.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,292,432 times
I'd say Oklahoma City, just because an F5 comes roaring through there every couple of years.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,699,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I think upstate cities in New York--particularly Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Utica-- have the worst climates. Mostly because of the long snowy winters and bleak springs. Syracuse has one of the highest snowfall totals of any city in North America.

But summers aren't too bad. Somewhat cloudy, occasional humidity, and thunderstorms. But quite tolerable.
Buffalo wrong hardly any snow this year!! 85 degrees today warmer than Charlotte!!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Ummm no, Detroit has a rather pleasant climate in zone 6b it's actually similar to Tennessee's climate and the same as Boston's, you get the normal seasonal climate. Hardly bad at all, spring is absolutely stunning in the city.

Worst climate by far is in the PNW and Minnesota.
I've lived in Cleveland and Chicago, as long as Mpls, and I didn't find the climates to be ideal in either of those places to Mpls. Mpls is colder in the winter, yes, but it's also drier and sunnier (esp. vs. Cleveland), so it doesn't chill you to your core like wet cold air can. Also, the ice and snow make winter more resourceful where it's prevalent. However, I agree that Detroit's climate is surprisingly mild in comparison. I think Mpls' latest climate zone/plant hardiness rating is like 5b or 5c. Summers in all 3 cites (4, incl. Detroit, are almost identical, though Chicago can/does get worse heat waves).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.