U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 03:04 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Any state that has extremes for long periods of time.

Minneapolis might suck for some people because of the brutally cold winters for almost half the year. But Texas might suck for others because of the scorching hot summers for half the year.

The best climate for me? Probably a place like Maryland. You get 4 distinct seasons with weather that's never to extreme in any season.
Maryland isn't safe from extreme weather. Thought it isn't as bad as the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Buffalo wrong hardly any snow this year!! 85 degrees today warmer than Charlotte!!
One mild winter hardly makes for a good climate. By any standard Buffalo's climate is rigorous. And not only snowy usually but cloudy, damp, unpredictable. Spring is gloomy much of the time.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Miami.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:25 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've lived in Cleveland and Chicago, as long as Mpls, and I didn't find the climates to be ideal in either of those places to Mpls. Mpls is colder in the winter, yes, but it's also drier and sunnier (esp. vs. Cleveland), so it doesn't chill you to your core like wet cold air can. Also, the ice and snow make winter more resourceful where it's prevalent. However, I agree that Detroit's climate is surprisingly mild in comparison. I think Mpls' latest climate zone/plant hardiness rating is like 5b or 5c. Summers in all 3 cites (4, incl. Detroit, are almost identical, though Chicago can/does get worse heat waves).
Lol, there is no 5C zone. Minneapolis is zone 4B.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,699,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
One mild winter hardly makes for a good climate. By any standard Buffalo's climate is rigorous. And not only snowy usually but cloudy, damp, unpredictable. Spring is gloomy much of the time.
Totally untrue! You don't even live there.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 846 times
I live in Rockford, Illinois, which is about an hour and a half west of Chicago. Our summers get pretty nasty -- frequent days peaking close to 100 degrees with heat index, severe weather constantly, the threat of tornadoes on a weekly basis. And that's the good part of the calendar year.

Late spring and early autumn are the only tolerable times -- the weather hovers in 58 - 70 range and pretty much sticks there, with a little rain here and there and some nice sun. But once you've crossed over into October for Fall, or if it's earlier than May, then it's pretty much all bets off and you can go into normal winter weather for other states.

Now then, OUR winter weather is pretty merciless. We've been known to have wind chills well below zero, with one particularly memorable recent year dipping down to 30 below zero. More normally, it hovers around -10 to above 10 for two or three months. We'll have a weird warm day or two here or there, just to mess with our heads, but apart from that it's usually pretty frozen.

Although lately we've been getting more and more weird days -- like we had a warm stretch in January a few years back that produced a tornado in a nearby town. Life is strange.

Anyway, I'd volunteer my neck of the woods as worst weather city any time.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM

18,928 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Fairplay, CO

Subpolar (really is, not hyperbole) hole with 8-9 month winters, and the summers are like late September-mid October in the NE.

For example, today (May 10th)

Normal High 56F
Normal Low 27F

Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 PM

71 posts, read 55,727 times
If you like the sun Pittsburgh is one of, if not the worst, city in the nation for that.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,796,503 times
Minneapolis

Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Any state that has extremes for long periods of time.

Minneapolis might suck for some people because of the brutally cold winters for almost half the year. But Texas might suck for others because of the scorching hot summers for half the year.

The best climate for me? Probably a place like Maryland. You get 4 distinct seasons with weather that's never to extreme in any season.
Have you ever spent a summer in D.C.? Dear lord the humidity is atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.