U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
D.C. is a great city but its summers are brutal
With urban heat index numbers they can be brutal. Winters are not really mild in my opinion either in DC either like just 3 or 4 hours further south, winter can be miserable in DC at times. Snow averages arent high but arent that far off from parts of the midwest like kansas city or st louis. we got hammered last year with 24 inches . DC ,Philly,Baltimore and NYC really gets the worst of both worlds at time, surprisingly hot and humid summers and cold dead winters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
NYC may not be the worst, but it is definitely up there. All Northeast cities are.

But I'm going to go with Minneapolis or Milwaukee or something around there, because of their even more extreme winters.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 AM

425 posts, read 293,281 times
I always found the weather just east of Cleveland to be horrible, especially in the Winter. The area is called the "Snowbelt" due to significant Lake Effect Snow Storms that can easily dump 12-20"+ snow in a single storm. On top of that it is very cloudy and gray most days during Fall, Winter and Spring. Gets depressing after a while. One of the reasons I moved. Some people love the Cool, mild Summers, but I found that to be bad as well because you would usually need to pack a sweatshirt in the middle of July for cool evenings. No thanks!

Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM

2,696 posts, read 986,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I kind of agree. I generally think city trumps weather. My two favorite US cities are New York and Chicago, but I won't pretend they don't get miserable. You don't think about it when you're not experiencing it, but when you're sweating on that subway platform, dressed for the office, it sucks.
You're always on the money gladhands. NYC's weather is probably not even that bad compared to other northeast cities, but it's the way that you're forced to experience it that's killer. The hot sweaty subway experience, the stinking streets caused by the smell of hot trash wafting through the air, or by contrast in the winter when you have to step through big nasty puddles and snow turns to brown mush that you have to get around. Like you said though...people don't move here for the weather.

Nice to see this acknowledged given all the NYC-jerking that goes on in these forums.

My guess is a Mid West city takes this one, but I can only speak from my personal experience, which is basically living in NYC and LA.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 PM

594 posts, read 486,382 times
Default Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lol Phoenix and Orlando have the best climate? Ok...
3 months of winter........9 months of the best weather in the USA.

And that 3 months of winter (June, July & August ) comprises of pool parties, gigantic waterparks, tubing down rivers, fishing, beautiful women dressed for the weather.....and when the sun goes down, sitting poolside with your beverage of choice with no bugs.
And that's WINTERTIME. Imagine what the next 9 months going to be like.9 MONTHS.

Now you know why everyone and their uncle is moving to Arizona.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,032,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
It would be Minneapolis St Paul area for me because I hate the cold.I love hot summers but hey thats just me
-WT
This, I totally concur!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:29 AM

65 posts, read 38,287 times
I think Buffalo, NY has the worst weather for a major city in America.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:16 PM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
3 months of winter........9 months of the best weather in the USA.

And that 3 months of winter (June, July & August ) comprises of pool parties, gigantic waterparks, tubing down rivers, fishing, beautiful women dressed for the weather.....and when the sun goes down, sitting poolside with your beverage of choice with no bugs.
And that's WINTERTIME. Imagine what the next 9 months going to be like.9 MONTHS.

Now you know why everyone and their uncle is moving to Arizona.
I'm so confused right now. I think we live in alternative universes. The winter I know in the United States occurs December, January and February. Summer is usually June, July, and August in my world. What world do you live in?

Old 10-01-2016, 04:30 PM

594 posts, read 486,382 times
Default My world is the beautiful Sonoran Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm so confused right now. I think we live in alternative universes. The winter I know in the United States occurs December, January and February. Summer is usually June, July, and August in my world. What world do you live in?
In cold weather climates wintertime is synonymous with your harshest weather conditions.
In the desert our harshest weather conditions occur in June, July and August.
Hense in Arizona our wintertime is exactly the opposite of cold weather climates.
Once the rest of the country figured that out , Phoenix has to the sixth largest ( Soon to be 5th ) city in these United Sates of Amaaaica...

Old 10-01-2016, 05:54 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Miami, Tampa, and New Orleans. All far too hot with a latitude that is far too low, resulting in a brutal sun angle with a harshness that never goes away. No thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.