U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:40 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times

Advertisements

OKC gets my vote. Cold winters, hot, humid summers, wildly varying temps and weather, including ridiculous hail and of course... tornados.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Fargo North dakota

Awful cold and high winds , blizzards Even flooding in some springs when the snow melts

Buffalo. Syracuse Rochester Youngstown

Juneau Alaska

Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Fargo North dakota

Awful cold and high winds , blizzards Even flooding in some springs when the snow melts

Buffalo. Syracuse Rochester Youngstown

Juneau Alaska
Florida is just as bad as those places. Actually, I'll take extreme cold over extreme hot/humid anytime.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:33 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Florida is just as bad as those places. Actually, I'll take extreme cold over extreme hot/humid anytime.
I wish the millions and millions of people retiring down south shared your view, a much less crowded state and region. Unfortunately , very few people do.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:04 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,299,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
First let me explain my criteria. Freezing cold windy winters with lots of snow, Scorching hot and humid summers with frequent thunderstorms, short springs and falls, minimal nice 75 degree sunny days, on average substantially more cloudy days a year than sunny days. Without looking up weather data I'm just going to take a random guess and say Des Moines Iowa?????
Des Moines, and most of the Midwest never has "scorching" summers. I checked the August 2016 weather in Des Moines and the hottest temperature was 92, with most days in the mid 80s. However, you might have a few days of hot temperatures. Winters are definitely cold, but not terrible. You may have some days in the negatives, but those temps don't stick around like they would in Alaska. The Midwest is a great place for people who want four distinct seasons.

Texas (most of the state) has some of the worst weather in the country. I'm not sure why people say the weather here is great. There are awful humid summer temperatures of at least 90 degrees mid-May through mid-October. July and August will have several weeks of 100 degrees or more where it's impossible to do anything outside without risking your life. You'll get a month or two of spring weather, but with very little blooming. Fall weather is the same as spring, but with no color change. Winter in Texas feels like fall in the Midwest. Every day in Texas looks the same, no matter the season.

Florida has similar weather to Texas, but at least parts of Florida have beautiful beaches and resort style appearances.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,103,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Between Dallas and OKC, I think OKC must be worse. The summer is as scorching as Dallas but winter is colder the the ice snow storms happen much more frequently.
Dallas, while they do get tornadoes, is under the gun much less frequently compared to OKC.

There really isn't a lot of redeeming qualities about the climate in OKC and I think it is the worst climate in the country. Other places like Texas, Arizona, and Florida may have miserably hot summers but they don't have the other negatives that OKC has.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:44 PM

104 posts, read 90,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
OKC has a LOT of winter days with highs in the 20s&30s, it is only because of other days with highs in the 60s&sometimes 70s that gives them that 50 "average"
My brother studied in Norman for a year and hated the climate, saying it was only pleasant for one month in October. He said that the cold winds made November – with a perfect-on-paper mean maximum of 63.1° F or 17.3° C – felt bitterly cold and windy and that he had snow. He also said that the days with tops of around 70° F (21.1° C) but lows near freezing were “fundamentally cold” although I think of cold nights as not a bad thing because I often have problems with sleep at minima above 60° F or 16° C, whilst to me 70 degrees Fahrenheit is firmly within “shorts territory”.

In response to what my brother had said about November (also applying to March) in Oklahoma where the average maxima look utterly perfect, I had a look at nearly Dodge City in southwestern Kansas, and was a little shocked to see that under certain conditions (e.g. during late winter 1903/1904) can regularly swing from morning to afternoon from near freezing to the 80s Fahrenheit (high 20s Celsius)! Presumably, based upon what I read in other sources, when it heats up like that it also gets really windy as it does during classic chinooks or warm fronts further north.

Along with hot summers, if my brother’s experience is any guide OKC must have an uncomfortable climate with tornadoes (which made my mother and I worry) and the summer heat.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:46 PM

292 posts, read 202,990 times
I can't speak for the rest of the Great Lakes, but in the past 5 years Chicago doesn't get as cold anymore. Chicago used to be more cold, snowy and bitter sunny days. Now Chicago in the past 5 years looks more like Seattle in the winter. More mild, really really really overcast, wet.

I am not saying Chicago winters suck, but I have really seen a difference in the past 5 years.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:35 PM

6,960 posts, read 14,091,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the Great Lakes, but in the past 5 years Chicago doesn't get as cold anymore. Chicago used to be more cold, snowy and bitter sunny days. Now Chicago in the past 5 years looks more like Seattle in the winter. More mild, really really really overcast, wet.

I am not saying Chicago winters suck, but I have really seen a difference in the past 5 years.
I was there this past December to celebrate being done with finals just before the holidays. I wore a short sleeve shirt to the bars because it was so warm. Just checked. It must have been December 13, 2015 because the high was 64 and it was raining on that day. I do remember it raining a bit while I was there, and I remember not having to pack a winter coat. As for wearing a short sleeve shirt to the bars, I'm always hot and I hate wearing long sleeve shirts in bars and being a bit chilly for a few minutes is better than carrying around a jacket in a club/bar IMO.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:26 PM

292 posts, read 202,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I was there this past December to celebrate being done with finals just before the holidays. I wore a short sleeve shirt to the bars because it was so warm. Just checked. It must have been December 13, 2015 because the high was 64 and it was raining on that day. I do remember it raining a bit while I was there, and I remember not having to pack a winter coat. As for wearing a short sleeve shirt to the bars, I'm always hot and I hate wearing long sleeve shirts in bars and being a bit chilly for a few minutes is better than carrying around a jacket in a club/bar IMO.
The past 5 years really have been different when it comes to Chicago winter. Much much milder, but also much gloomier and rainy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.