U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban big
University of Michigan 2 4.44%
Northwestern University 19 42.22%
Ohio State University 6 13.33%
Indiana University 0 0%
University of Iowa 0 0%
University of Illinois 0 0%
University of Minnesota 17 37.78%
Michigan State University 0 0%
University of Wisconsin 1 2.22%
Purdue University 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:30 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,463,127 times

Advertisements

Ohio State doesn't seem very urban to me. Penn State actually seems more urban than OSU, even though PSU is in a pretty small town. But it's not on this poll. I haven't been to the other ones (except Maryland and Rutgers). I'd probably vote for Rutgers based on what I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 03:57 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,303,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
U Minn is downtown Minneapolis IIRC, on the banks of the Mississippi. That's the most urban of the big Ten that I've visited. After that maybe Ohio State. But I haven't visited all these schools.
I agree. It's actually one reason I decided against attending for grad school. I was looking for a college town atmosphere.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,477,680 times
Not saying it's the most urban by any stretch, but the University of Illinois is surprisingly urban. A lot of people picture it as this lone building in a sea of corn, but Champaign and Urbana are both quite urban and historic.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 PM

35 posts, read 70,852 times
The University of Nebraska is also missing from the list.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,043,961 times
I went to Minnesota for undergrad, partly because I loved the urban environment. I think it's the winner here with Northwestern, Ohio State, and Rutgers competing for second.

The campus is getting even more urban. Lots of new, big, urban apartment buildings going in. Light rail line that runs through the heart of campus on the way to St. Paul. I also happen to think it's an underrated college in terms of beauty/setting, but I'm biased.

Don't know how people are saying Maryland...it's in a big metro, but it's very suburban.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:57 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Judging from Google Maps, the University of Michigan seems to have the most urban environment immediately adjacent to the campus. The other universities might be in more urban cities, but that isn't as true for what is right next to the main campus (which is excluding things like Evanston's downtown Chicago campus).

Old 09-28-2016, 03:11 PM

597 posts, read 400,598 times
Another poll where we've gotten ahead of ourselves.

What do we mean by "urban"? Walkability, density, urban "feel" (which I'd argue is an actual thing), transit options, proximity to city center. What factor is most important or do they all count equally. And, as others have pointed out - are we just talking about the main campus, or other campuses as well (i.e., Northwestern's graduate and professional programs which are right off Michigan Avenue downtown Chicago).

I agree with all the contenders - MN, Northwestern, Rutgers. Maryland is within a major metro area and is quick train ride into the city, but the immediate area of the main campus doesn't feel THAT urban. Not that it's a some bucolic rural place either. Don't know about OSU's location in Columbus. I now Columbus has a grown a lot in the past two decades and is a fairly major city, but, again, have never been to OSU campus.

I went to Northwestern and I'm torn. Evanston, IMO, is a suburban/urban hybrid. The areas around many of the train stops feel fairly urban and could easily be a Chicago neighborhood character-wise. Plus downtown Evanston has had all that new high rise construction, good density, major transportation hubs, and often a lot of people out and about on the streets. Yet, not far from campus are also more traditional suburban-feel parts of Evanston. Obviously including the grad/professional programs downtown Chicago increases NWU's urban quotient a lot.

Minnesota is right in the City and I'd say it felt even more urban in the past. Adjoining neighborhoods had more urban "grit" and edge than in the past (some still are still gritty). Haven't been there in a while, but I've read that some of the area around campus has been semi-gentrified and looks a little better than from when I knew it (80s through mid 90s).

Rutgers has some density and definitely some urban grit and "feel." Have only been there once so can't remember a lot of the specifics.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
College Park, MD??? The only other B1G campus I've visited is E. Lansing, I'm not to familiar since the Terps just joined the B1G. How urban is the area around Northwestern?

I'd imagine Madison since its in the capital and for that matter Columbus now that I think about it...
It's a Chicago suburb. It's pretty urban.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:09 AM

6,315 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
I went to Northwestern and I'm torn. Evanston, IMO, is a suburban/urban hybrid. The areas around many of the train stops feel fairly urban and could easily be a Chicago neighborhood character-wise. Plus downtown Evanston has had all that new high rise construction, good density, major transportation hubs, and often a lot of people out and about on the streets.
Your sentiment is one that has been shared a couple times in this thread and I'm a little confused because it sounds like you're separating Northwestern from the urban areas of Evanston. Perhaps that's because of our experience. I was a piano grad student and most of my friends lived in the grad student housing which is in a high-rise adjacent to the Foster St station. I also spent most of my time on the southeast edge of campus which at that time housed the music administration building including all piano and vocal studios, the piano/vocal recital hall, and the auxiliary practice rooms building. In my mind that part of campus was just one or two blocks from the heart of downtown. So I decided to look up the city's designated boundaries of downtown. Turns out that entire part of campus is PART OF downtown. See page 9: http://www.cityofevanston.org/assets...ntown-Plan.pdf

My personal Northwestern experience was entrenched with downtown Evanston.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:48 AM

597 posts, read 400,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Your sentiment is one that has been shared a couple times in this thread and I'm a little confused because it sounds like you're separating Northwestern from the urban areas of Evanston. Perhaps that's because of our experience. I was a piano grad student and most of my friends lived in the grad student housing which is in a high-rise adjacent to the Foster St station. I also spent most of my time on the southeast edge of campus which at that time housed the music administration building including all piano and vocal studios, the piano/vocal recital hall, and the auxiliary practice rooms building. In my mind that part of campus was just one or two blocks from the heart of downtown. So I decided to look up the city's designated boundaries of downtown. Turns out that entire part of campus is PART OF downtown. See page 9: http://www.cityofevanston.org/assets...ntown-Plan.pdf

My personal Northwestern experience was entrenched with downtown Evanston.
So was mine for the most part, even though my programs weren't located as close to downtown. So, yeah - NU essentially abuts downtown Evanston, and part of it IS in downtown Evanston - certainly Rebecca Crown center, McManus on Orrington, music admin and practice, Englehart, anything on Clark Street (the bursar's office was there when I went to school). Those areas felt fairly urban when I was in school (graduated 1996), know even more so with all of the development downtown in the past two decades. NU is in Evanston; Evanston has a fairly urban core; thus NU (overall) is fairly urban. On a side note, what's really surprised me in terms of Evanston's urbanization, isn't downtown, but everything that's been built on Chicago Ave and around the Dempster and Main and South Blvd "L" stops

I was just pointing out that from some other vantage points, NU is less urban. I used to go running straight from campus west on Lincoln or Noyes, north on Sheridan Road and was quickly within leafy, suburban neighborhoods; same running on the lakefront and then down through the southern Evanston neighborhoods east of Hinman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or