U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban big
University of Michigan 2 4.44%
Northwestern University 19 42.22%
Ohio State University 6 13.33%
Indiana University 0 0%
University of Iowa 0 0%
University of Illinois 0 0%
University of Minnesota 17 37.78%
Michigan State University 0 0%
University of Wisconsin 1 2.22%
Purdue University 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 PM

93 posts, read 55,123 times

Advertisements

Which Big Ten university has the most urban environment, in your opinion. While most of them are known for their rural setting, I wanted to know which ones have any sense of an urban environment.

Last edited by jrs2; 09-25-2016 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: forgot to add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
U Minn is downtown Minneapolis IIRC, on the banks of the Mississippi. That's the most urban of the big Ten that I've visited. After that maybe Ohio State. But I haven't visited all these schools.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,226,489 times
It's probably the University of Minnesota or Northwestern. As citylove101 pointed out, Minnesota is in Minneapolis proper. Northwestern's undergrad campus is in Evanston, but Evanston is rather urban even though it's a suburb, and it has access to multiple purple line L stations connecting it to Chicago. Northwestern's law school, medical school, and hospital are all located in downtown Chicago as well.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:12 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
Northwestern grad/professional schools are in downtown Chicago, but the main campus in Evanston is decidedly suburban IMO. YMMV.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:14 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs2 View Post
Which big ten university do you believe is the most urban? While most of them are known for their rural setting, I wanted to know which ones have any sense of an urban environment
I guess you're only considering the traditional Big Ten schools, and excluding the newest members (albeit geographically misplaced)- University of Maryland and Rutgers.

If those 2 are excluded, then Northwestern wins. If the new schools are included, Rutgers main campus (New Brunswick) is pretty darn urban, so it would be a toss up between Rutgers and Northwestern with Univ of Maryland College Park (a few miles outside of DC) not very far behind.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,461,419 times
College Park, MD??? The only other B1G campus I've visited is E. Lansing, I'm not to familiar since the Terps just joined the B1G. How urban is the area around Northwestern?

I'd imagine Madison since its in the capital and for that matter Columbus now that I think about it...

Old 09-26-2016, 04:35 AM

6,862 posts, read 6,194,424 times
U of Minnesota is the most urban environment as it is across the river from downtown Minneapolis. Ohio State would be second. Northwestern third.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 AM

6,862 posts, read 6,194,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I guess you're only considering the traditional Big Ten schools, and excluding the newest members (albeit geographically misplaced)- University of Maryland and Rutgers.

If those 2 are excluded, then Northwestern wins. If the new schools are included, Rutgers main campus (New Brunswick) is pretty darn urban, so it would be a toss up between Rutgers and Northwestern with Univ of Maryland College Park (a few miles outside of DC) not very far behind.
I don't see how any school besides Minnesota could be considered here as it is located across the river from downtown Minneapolis.

Ohio State is just a mile or so from downtown Columbus.

Rutgers is in New Brunswick which is in the middle of New Jersey. Not really all that close to Philly or Urban New Jersey.

College Park/U Maryland and Evanston./NWestern are both suburban albeit inner ring suburbs Not really urban.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:29 AM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
University of Michigan is spread across a pretty urban environment in Ann Arbor, but I don't know if I'd say that it is in the most urban environment.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 AM

3,300 posts, read 1,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
College Park, MD??? The only other B1G campus I've visited is E. Lansing, I'm not to familiar since the Terps just joined the B1G. How urban is the area around Northwestern?

I'd imagine Madison since its in the capital and for that matter Columbus now that I think about it...
The casual Big Ten student has no idea that Maryland and Rutgers are part of the Big Ten. A lot of traditionalists still aren't happy that they joined the conference and don't fully embrace them. The OP has a poll on the same topic but they aren't included. It will take a long time for them to be recognized as Big Ten. Rutgers main campus would be right up at the top IMO along with Northwestern, but it's been well over a decade since I visited New Brunswick. I remember it being really outside the immediate campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or