U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:14 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,299,438 times

Advertisements

Here's a comparison of the 2015 map to the 2014 map, so that changes are more easily visible:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 AM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Missouri and Maryland are quite bad. I'm guessing St. Louis and Baltimore have something to do with it.
I'm guessing all the murder rates would be much lower if you don't count the low-income urban and suburban areas.

Affluent places in America have very low crime. That even goes for DC.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
I remember the first time I saw murder rates back in the 70s, I saw the list in a World Almanac. Louisiana was #1 then and still #1 40 years later. A constant in an ever changing world.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:23 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I remember the first time I saw murder rates back in the 70s, I saw the list in a World Almanac. Louisiana was #1 then and still #1 40 years later. A constant in an ever changing world.
Those folks are crazy there. New Orleans and Baton Rouge really drive those numbers up for that state. I love New Orleans but there's no way I'd live there again.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 AM

972 posts, read 737,878 times
I can't help but notice this map and map of percentage of whites it's eerily similar... Not exactly but it follows it pretty closely.
I believe there is a correlation.

States with high black population have higher murder rates, same with Hispanics but to a lesser extent.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_2012.svg.png

Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I can't help but notice this map and map of percentage of whites it's eerily similar... Not exactly but it follows it pretty closely.

States with high black population have higher murder rates, same with Hispanics but to a lesser extent.
There is a pretty strong correlation between black population and high murder rates within the U.S. This is not the case for Latinos however. Many Latino-majority cities (such as El Paso) have very low violent crime rates. IIRC studies have suggested that once you correct for income differences (compare low income whites and Latinos, and high income whites and Latinos) any evidence of Latino areas having higher crime rates completely evaporates.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:06 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is a pretty strong correlation between black population and high murder rates within the U.S. This is not the case for Latinos however. Many Latino-majority cities (such as El Paso) have very low violent crime rates. IIRC studies have suggested that once you correct for income differences (compare low income whites and Latinos, and high income whites and Latinos) any evidence of Latino areas having higher crime rates completely evaporates.
I find this easy to believe. I live in Texas and Texas is about 40 percent Latino. Some of our cities are majority Latino. White folks are actually less than 50 percent of the population in the state of Texas and Latinos are the next largest demographic group.

Personally I think they are an asset to our state and to our communities.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 AM

48,061 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post

Alaska and Missouri are among the most murderous states in the USA. Alaska has a small Black population and Missouri's Black population is close to the national average. Virginia, however, has a lower murder rate than either and Blacks make up 20% of the population there. Nevada has a Black population around 8% and has a high murder rate. How do you explain Oklahoma vs Texas? Oklahoma has a lower Black and Hispanic population than Texas, but has a higher murder rate.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 AM

48,061 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm guessing all the murder rates would be much lower if you don't count the low-income urban and suburban areas.

Affluent places in America have very low crime. That even goes for DC.
DC is close to 50% Black, and has a murder rate lower than St. Louis, which has a slightly lower percentage of Blacks than DC. DC and St. Louis are different places.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:14 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
DC is close to 50% Black, and has a murder rate lower than St. Louis, which has a slightly lower percentage of Blacks than DC. DC and St. Louis are different places.

The fact remains blacks are a large part of the reason why the US has such a high murder rate. FBI 2015 crime stats show blacks committed 37.8% of all US murders. Their population in 2015 is estimated at 13.3% of total US population, and yet account for three times that in US murders. Do you believe poverty alone is the reason?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._race_2015.xls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or