Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 2,987 times

Advertisements

Hi my wife is American born in Georgia and our 3 children and I are canadian she has been wanting to move back for years as I am a contractor and real estate investor I see great potential to make money in real estate in america. She also has NO family here so it is hard for her, for me all of my family live in one city just outside of toronto where I was born and raised and where we still live. She can easily obtain a job through her father's company where she has worked in the past and I would invest in real estate. Easier said then done. I would have to leave my family and friends and everything I know to go to the unknown. As much as I research and visit I can never be fully prepared and not sure if I can just take the plunge and just GO.

Any personnel experiences or knowledge is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:34 PM

173 posts, read 181,839 times
I don't have any personal experience. But hubby and I are considering moving far from our home towns. I have been researching for about a year and we will be compiling our short list and traveling soon. From my perspective its never something you're ready for. Anytime you move there are pros and cons just like there are pros and cons to where you are now, if not for you for your wife. I think you just have to evaluate if you can afford the change (income, moving expenses, etc.), do you enjoy the culture, will your kids be in similar or better schools, safe area, etc. Then compare to where you are now. If its similar then perhaps do an extended stay in the area you are interested in.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 2,987 times
Thank you for the insight I feel financially it would benefit us as canada is highly taxed and makes if hard to obtain several mortgages... and there's the weather ofcourse lol

Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM

I'm of the mindset to try things. Life is short and there are so many experiences to have, if all and all its accommodating to your familys needs, then I say go for it. There is no time like the present.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:20 PM

@Verbatty

Not everywhere in the states is dangerous. I am not familiar with Georgia so I cannot speak to the safety there. But you're painting a pretty wide brush. I'm sure overall CAN wins safety, but the community they are in now should be compared to community they will be considering.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
How old are your kids? If they're still in school, I dunno.

Plus, if you have 3 kids, your wife has been living in Canada for quite a few years now. It seems like a lot to ask, to uproot everyone - you, your kids, take you all away from your family and the grandparents - which she signed on for by marrying you and living there.

And with no guarantee of income. I'm assuming you are earning a decent living where you are?

Real estate is so iffy. It honestly sounds like a bad idea all the way around to me.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 AM

65 posts, read 55,045 times
I love my country but if I were you I would stay put for a couple years and see how things develop here. The US is showing lots of signs of possibly becoming a very unstable first world country in the near future. We are struggling with some major issues and widespread political corruption. If the situation improves or is the same two years from now come down, but it really could take a turn for the worse and I don't think you would want to be here if that happens.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 AM

65 posts, read 55,045 times
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. Most of the US is very safe.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I'll share two random thoughts.

You can plan on a temporary move and see how it plays out. Find out how the whole family would view that...maybe it would be exciting and positive. I'm in a similarish situation and we are planning to do a temporary 2-3 year "move." Of course I have every intention of returning to the states after that, and it's not totally the same because our work is very fluid and even when we "move" to Asia I'd imagine I'll be in the US close to half the year anyway.

Also, regarding real estate investing, my wife and I run a business managing real estate investment for clients/partners all over the world. Two of our investors are from Toronto and we've had many other inquiries from there as well. Jacksonville, FL has been a terrific place for rental yield at low price points...totally different marketplace from Toronto. Increasing prices have changed the equation a bit over the years but it's still very good in comparison. Of course, y'all have the opportunity to see hundreds of thousands in appreciation in just a few years, we'll never get that. Not sure where exactly your wife's family is but Jacksonville is right at the GA border.

Good luck!!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:52 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I'm going to say no on this one. Reason being your wife must be in Canada quite some time now . Since there are 3 kids involved and I imagine it would be a permanent move. Do you think these kids would want to remain in the states? Would they want American citizenship? I agree with the other poster, and I can't stress enough. The USA has become very unstable. Many living here are not able to admit that has happened. Remember you would be giving up the Ontario Health Insurance, for your entire family. What we have here and the outrageous cost and problems with health care. WelI it would be enough for me to say Canada makes more sense.

I don't know Sir but things seem much more stable for you in Canada. Moving to this mess down here with 3 kids, and all that's involved is alot to ask. If it were just you and your wife, and she was new in Canada. Then I'd say go for it, but that's not the case here. I think when she married you and had 3 kids, then her life is in Canada not here. I think she has to accept that fact. I just feel the entire scenario would be very disruptive, and could very easily cause financial and other problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.