U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 AM

566 posts, read 566,162 times

Advertisements

Salida, CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM

56,762 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Salida, CO
Does it have a college?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:28 PM

158 posts, read 112,791 times
Thanks everyone for the input! Hubby threw me a wrench today saying he would really prefer more sun (in favor of CO). I just find it hard to believe we will find better COL anywhere that we love in CO. I have been looking through the MN/WI areas, New England, and New York. Surprisinglym to me anyway, WI/MN has areas that could add 20-30 days of sun/yr.

ckhthankgod- Are you familiar with PNW weather? How would you compare the sun (or lack there of) in areas around the finger lakes? Looking on these city compare sites it seems the # of sunny days are relatively the same. I think we have been discussing it long enough now that we are beginning to add in secondary 'wants'. Not to say people don't have SAD, but we are PNW born and raised and it really hasn't been an issue until our conversation today. I guess that's why its good to take time with these things.

I think we are narrowing it down to areas around Minneapolis (Red Wing or similar), Finger lakes area/Ithaca/Syracuse, still have a romantic notion of VT - Burlington, Montpelier, Woodstock (COL to high though), CO near Boulder or Durango (again COL too high).

Old 09-28-2016, 11:18 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,045,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Burlington, VT is a college town with a smaller population and an average of 75" of snow. Having said that, it's not particularly cheap...
Beautiful photo.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabf View Post
Thanks everyone for the input! Hubby threw me a wrench today saying he would really prefer more sun (in favor of CO). I just find it hard to believe we will find better COL anywhere that we love in CO. I have been looking through the MN/WI areas, New England, and New York. Surprisinglym to me anyway, WI/MN has areas that could add 20-30 days of sun/yr.

ckhthankgod- Are you familiar with PNW weather? How would you compare the sun (or lack there of) in areas around the finger lakes? Looking on these city compare sites it seems the # of sunny days are relatively the same. I think we have been discussing it long enough now that we are beginning to add in secondary 'wants'. Not to say people don't have SAD, but we are PNW born and raised and it really hasn't been an issue until our conversation today. I guess that's why its good to take time with these things.

I think we are narrowing it down to areas around Minneapolis (Red Wing or similar), Finger lakes area/Ithaca/Syracuse, still have a romantic notion of VT - Burlington, Montpelier, Woodstock (COL to high though), CO near Boulder or Durango (again COL too high).
In the Finger Lakes, I think the lack of sun is more of an issue during the Winter and into the Spring in recent years. Weather can change quite a bit in a day or week. So, that is something to consider.

Syracuse is bigger than Bellingham, but you do have smaller cities and towns in the area like Oswego(SUNY), Cazenovia(Cazenovia College) and Hamilton(Colgate) that have colleges in/near a walkable community. Geneva(Hobart/William Smith) and Geneseo(SUNY) are a couple of Finger Lakes communities that also have 4 year colleges in the immediate area/community.

Also, keep in mind that Plattsburgh is literally across Lake Champlain from VT. So, you could live in that area and still head over to VT whenever you want to. It is so close that Plattsburgh and Burlington share a TV market. Plattsburgh also gets its share of Canadians for shopping, using its airport, etc., similar to Bellingham as well. Plattsburgh's overall cost of living is just under to on par with the national average as well.

Also, when you say you want snow, do you want a lot or just more than what you get where you currently live?

Old 09-29-2016, 12:02 PM

158 posts, read 112,791 times
ckhthankgod I don't think we would go to Syracuse proper but the surrounding small villages, like you mentioned. Also I do notice in that region there are a significant amount of run down homes. Here that's very telling of drugs, crime, and poor employment. What do you make of it in that region?

As for snow, I could go with more than we get or a lot more. Id like snow at least Dec/Jan. If a lot more prefer an area on top of the roads. To combat some heating cost we'd like a wood stove. I'm sure the romance of the snow will wear off eventually but I have always loved snow. I have driven the passes out here without issue (in fwd) and we have had a few storms. I'm sure that they were nothing compared to Upstate NY. But also our services, such as road plows, I expect are much worse. Also we would upgrade to 4X4 or AWD- which doesn't mean you can drive like an idiot, but helps.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabf View Post
ckhthankgod I don't think we would go to Syracuse proper but the surrounding small villages, like you mentioned. Also I do notice in that region there are a significant amount of run down homes. Here that's very telling of drugs, crime, and poor employment. What do you make of it in that region?

As for snow, I could go with more than we get or a lot more. Id like snow at least Dec/Jan. If a lot more prefer an area on top of the roads. To combat some heating cost we'd like a wood stove. I'm sure the romance of the snow will wear off eventually but I have always loved snow. I have driven the passes out here without issue (in fwd) and we have had a few storms. I'm sure that they were nothing compared to Upstate NY. But also our services, such as road plows, I expect are much worse. Also we would upgrade to 4X4 or AWD- which doesn't mean you can drive like an idiot, but helps.
Where specifically? Homes, while generally affordable, aren't necessarily dirt cheap, unless you are looking in poorer areas or specifically run down homes. Economy could play a part, but also homes tend to be older due to when the area was developed. Cazenovia is generally and relatively affluent. Hamilton is pretty solid as well. Oswego will have a mix. It isn't dangerous in terms of crime, but there is some degree of drug issues in the area. What is your budget? That will also help to determine what to look for. Here are some listings in Plattsburgh: Plattsburgh, NY Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Plattsburgh, NY Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

You can search here for specific parts of the Syracuse area: Property Search - Syracuse / Central / Auburn

Some listings from a few other the communities with a college in the area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Yes, there is more in place in order to clear snow in a relatively timely manner. You may get the heavy storm that will take a little bit longer to clear, but that is generally in the snow belts, like the Southtowns south of Buffalo/east of Lake Erie or the areas north of Syracuse/east of Lake Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or