U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:27 AM

6,992 posts, read 14,125,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise is actually more liberal and live and let live compared to SLC. I know because I have personal experience living in both cities. Boise is thriving as well as SLC. If I had to choose between the two, Boise wins hands down, it has a much more walkable downtown and its downtown is more vibrant at night compared to SLC's. SLC has to deal with the silly Zions Curtain. Boise is a more well kept city and park like when compared to SLC. The traffic in SLC is also something the OP would not find desirable.

The OP likes hiking, kayaking and rock climbing, all of which exist right in Boise city limits. Go out side of city limits and a person encounters the finest kayaking in the Lower 48.

Boise has a few hot weeks during the summer, but even when it is hot the nights cool down. The rest of the year, especially spring and fall are amazing.

The OP may find these photos interesting.

There are Violets in Your Eyes ~ Spring and Summer in Boise - SkyscraperPage Forum

The Fall Colors of Boise - SkyscraperPage Forum
Can't really argue with someone who's lived in both, so I'll let you handle that one. I got my experience because basically everyone I know from SLC has been quite accepting and liberal. Idk about being hippie/hipster level of SF/Berkeley or West LA and Silverlake/Los Feliz type liberal, but all were a bit alternative in that way and very very very accepting of gays and all minorities. Meanwhile, my conservative high school town loved moving to Boise because they felt it was just a bigger version of their hometown. The people from my conservative small town high school city continue moving to Boise for cheaper COL.

Still, I'll go with what you said and that's good to know! Just wanted to make it clear that my opinions on SLC and Boise weren't completely unfounded and biased opinions. Boise looks beautiful, just the people I knew moving from/to each city were quite different. And SLC having an out lesbian mayor made big news nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,165,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

And SLC having an out lesbian mayor made big news nationwide.
And Boise has voted in an openly lesbian state senator who served from 2004 to 2012. Boise City Hall fly's the Pride Flag each year during Pride Week, and this year the state capitol was lit up in pride colors and another interesting item is the mayor and city council are Democrats.

Boise and SLC are similar in that the cities are more liberal compared to the suburbs that surround each city. Both will have a different appeal to certain people and each city has their own distinct vibe.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 AM

6,992 posts, read 14,125,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
And Boise has voted in an openly lesbian state senator who served from 2004 to 2012. Boise City Hall fly's the Pride Flag each year during Pride Week, and this year the state capitol was lit up in pride colors and another interesting item is the mayor and city council are Democrats.

Boise and SLC are similar in that the cities are more liberal compared to the suburbs that surround each city. Both will have a different appeal to certain people. Both have their own distinct vibe.
Well, you learn something new every day haha. I had no idea about that and it totally changes my view on Boise. Thanks for proving me wrong

Old 09-29-2016, 11:47 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,165,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Well, you learn something new every day haha. I had no idea about that and it totally changes my view on Boise. Thanks for proving me wrong

Don't look at it as proving you wrong, but rather enlightening you. Boise and SLC are mysterious to a lot of people who aren't familiar with them.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:33 PM

6 posts, read 2,850 times
Thanks for all the input!

Arizona is a no go for me as its costly and lots of snow.

I've also heard Boise has a bit of a liberal feel, but not like San Fran. San Fran can be a bit too much for me, so something not overly liberal would be good.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:03 PM

605 posts, read 469,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja1233 View Post
Arizona is a no go for me as its costly and lots of snow.

Phoenix does not even get any snow (it's only the cities in the higher elevations such as Flaggstaff that get any snow), plus Arizona as a whole has a lower cost of living compared with the rest of the western US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or