Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 3,664 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Northern California my entire life and I am ready for a change. After not being able to find a one bedroom apartment for under $1100 in my area, I knew I needed to start thinking of a move.

As far as weather goes, I am looking for a city that has decent weather. I am ok with some snow and a few hot days in the summer is ok. I absolutely prefer cold weather to hot though. So I'm not going to Arizona or anything like that. I've never driven in snow though, so something that I would be comfortable learning in.

I am mainly leaving due to high cost of living, horrific traffic, and high crime/drug use. I would like to relocate somewhere that I could buy a home with an acre or at least a large backyard that gives some room between the neighbors at a reasonable price (like 300k or lower). I would also like an area that does not have traffic like California. I am ok with commuting as long as it's not in a ton of traffic. I have been hit twice within six months here because of the bumper to bumper traffic and I'm sick of it. Also, somewhere that has lower crime rates/drug use. I know there is no utopia, but I am looking for improvement, at least.

I am also a single female and would eventually like to settle down with a family, so an area that would be good for singles as well. Cities that I have been seriously looking at:

-Boise
-Colorado Springs

Open to more suggestions!

Thank you for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 12:47 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,713 times
Both Boise and Colorado Springs will be hot in the summer.
Driving in snow is easy if you have 4 wheel or All Wheel drive.
I'm drawing a blank at the moment but there's a big world out there beyond the CA border and with lots of options.
What does your budget allow re; rent?
Any more criteria in order to narrow things down a bit?

Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Are you trying to stay on the west coast/interior mountain west? I'm assuming if you're coming from NorCal and you're young, you're probably quite liberal also? Boise is not very liberal. Salt Lake City, thought surrounded by deep red Mormon politics, is very liberal. The downtown is thriving. They get snow and it gets hot in summer, but nothing unbearable. The mayor is lesbian even.

If you're open to anywhere in the country, more info is needed. What size city? Budget? What interests do you have? Etc.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:13 PM

I am ok with bearable heat unless they get in the hundreds frequently? And thanks for the tips on snow driving

Thanks for the replies! I am not super liberal, but not super conservative either. I love outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, rock climbing ect. I also like going out with friends to movies, good places to eat, shopping, etc. I really would like to do a lot of traveling so cutting my cost of living is pretty important in order to save for that. Budget for an apartment I would like to be below $700 for a one bedroom preferably. I could even do a studio.

I would like to stay on the west coast since it would be easier to visit family and friends, but if I find a perfect location I'm not against looking into something a bit farther. I would eventually like to live maybe like 15-20 mins outside of a main city, and preferably not too big/no crazy traffic commutes.

I basically want decent weather, safety, lower col, a place to find a job ( office work/education sector), and manageable traffic ( or no traffic but I know that's a lot to ask for lol)

Thanks so much!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 02:45 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja1233 View Post
I am ok with bearable heat unless they get in the hundreds frequently? And thanks for the tips on snow driving

Thanks for the replies! I am not super liberal, but not super conservative either. I love outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, rock climbing ect. I also like going out with friends to movies, good places to eat, shopping, etc. I really would like to do a lot of traveling so cutting my cost of living is pretty important in order to save for that. Budget for an apartment I would like to be below $700 for a one bedroom preferably. I could even do a studio.

I would like to stay on the west coast since it would be easier to visit family and friends, but if I find a perfect location I'm not against looking into something a bit farther. I would eventually like to live maybe like 15-20 mins outside of a main city, and preferably not too big/no crazy traffic commutes.

I basically want decent weather, safety, lower col, a place to find a job ( office work/education sector), and manageable traffic ( or no traffic but I know that's a lot to ask for lol)

Thanks so much!!!
Ok, stay with me a second because my recommendation could come off as somewhat crazed for you but would urge you to at least consider Cincinnati. It's a friendly city full of young single professionals many of whom are actually looking to settle down, offers plenty to do in terms of nightlife/shopping/sporting events, plenty of safe and affordable neighborhoods, has a cost of living at or below the national average, a sizable economy with job availability, has manageable commutes/isn't overly congested and as a major hub for Delta offers plenty of nonstop service to the west coast for you/friends and relatives.

About Cincinnati USA / CincyUSA.com

Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Very interesting! I will put it in my list to research! Thank you

Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 PM

251 posts, read 168,778 times
Flaggstaff Arizona

not cheap but the nicest town i've been to in a very longtime,

I just got back from colo springs and flaggstaff az is so much nicer.

Flaggstaff is not hot and its very green

good luck

Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
Flaggstaff Arizona

not cheap but the nicest town i've been to in a very longtime,

I just got back from colo springs and flaggstaff az is so much nicer.

Flaggstaff is not hot and its very green

good luck
Flagstaff gets a lot of snow. Like. A LOT.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Are you trying to stay on the west coast/interior mountain west? I'm assuming if you're coming from NorCal and you're young, you're probably quite liberal also? Boise is not very liberal. Salt Lake City, thought surrounded by deep red Mormon politics, is very liberal. The downtown is thriving. They get snow and it gets hot in summer, but nothing unbearable. The mayor is lesbian even.

If you're open to anywhere in the country, more info is needed. What size city? Budget? What interests do you have? Etc.
Boise is actually more liberal and live and let live compared to SLC. I know because I have personal experience living in both cities. Boise is thriving as well as SLC. If I had to choose between the two, Boise wins hands down, it has a much more walkable downtown and its downtown is more vibrant at night compared to SLC's. SLC has to deal with the silly Zions Curtain. Boise is a more well kept city and park like when compared to SLC. The traffic in SLC is also something the OP would not find desirable.

The OP likes hiking, kayaking and rock climbing, all of which exist right in Boise city limits. Go out side of city limits and a person encounters the finest kayaking in the Lower 48.

Boise has a few hot weeks during the summer, but even when it is hot the nights cool down. The rest of the year, especially spring and fall are amazing.

The OP may find these photos interesting.

There are Violets in Your Eyes ~ Spring and Summer in Boise - SkyscraperPage Forum

The Fall Colors of Boise - SkyscraperPage Forum

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-29-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 AM

65 posts, read 55,040 times
Colorado Springs and Denver are great towns. Tons of people from California already living there. Same with Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.