U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:25 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,404,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
If you take a closer look at that list, you will observe that all of the states listed, sans New Mexico, are predominately white non-Hispanic and, sans Utah, are very economically depressed overall.
lol except Ohio's unemployment rate is below the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 11:32 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,513,232 times
Surprised Florida isn't on the list. My home town in Florida has been ravaged by the opiate epidemic. Seems to mostly effect young white males.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:52 AM

972 posts, read 738,961 times
Geez America has so much substance abuse. Drugs, Painkilers, alcohol, and Marijuana. Why is this? I thinks it's because our culture. Lack of family values, when you have a strong family you have a better support system, and it's proven having kids is good for you mentally. If young people were getting married, working and having families would this be such a problem? I also think some people think drugs are "cool". That needs to stop. And I also believe they need to do crack downs, especially starting at one of our borders, and our doctors needs to not proscribe drugs so easily.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:49 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,611,706 times
Drugs don't kill people. People choosing to abuse drugs kill themselves.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,611,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Geez America has so much substance abuse. Drugs, Painkilers, alcohol, and Marijuana. Why is this? I thinks it's because our culture. Lack of family values, when you have a strong family you have a better support system, and it's proven having kids is good for you mentally. If young people were getting married, working and having families would this be such a problem? I also think some people think drugs are "cool". That needs to stop. And I also believe they need to do crack downs, especially starting at one of our borders, and our doctors needs to not proscribe drugs so easily.

Totally agree. Most drug addicts have (or had) a "badass" personality type.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,244,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
What does that even mean?

Old 10-01-2016, 02:20 PM

13,421 posts, read 16,973,844 times
Quote:
Typical response from somebody on the outside looking in who has NO knowledge whatsoever about the psychological reasons that people turn to drugs and alcohol. Addiction is a DISEASE that affects people of ALL races, backgrounds, social status, financial situation and family upbringing. Some of the most Godly, privileged and educated people I know have fallen victim to the ravages of drugs and alcohol.

And your notion that "if only more young people got married and had kids ...." Do you have any idea how many THOUSANDS of children are abused and die each year at the hands of parents who are addicted and never EVER should have had children in the first place?

Old 10-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
People with pre-dispositions to abusive drug habits, the last thing they need to be doing is having kids. A relative of mine is a victim of the current opiate epidemic, and he has fathered at least one child that I know of. That child is being raised by the mother and another man who has adopted the child. And that situation is MUCH better for the child than being around my relative.

I know that when the doctors prescribing the drugs get cracked down on the addicts go to the street to get their fix. Usually sharing needles and injecting drugs far less clean that prescription opiates. I'm not sure what the answer is here but these people having kids is not it.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
None of the addicts I know are like that. The addicts I know (some have died from their abuse) are/were very nice people, quick to humor, never had a "bad-ass" personality. I have hope in my mind that if they can just get into a situation where they can be freed from bad influences they may be able to defeat this demon and thrive.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:49 PM

1,052 posts, read 481,589 times
Exclamation Horrific Results......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Ohio is being ravaged by heroin, really sad actually.
Every time I hear about a Heroin/Meth crisis, it breaks my heart into pieces, because many of these addicts are mothers, or become pregnant in the process of it. There is nothing more devastating to the mind, than seeing a Heroin baby born......the anguish that little baby goes through has made me very, very angry toward life in general, even though I try not to. ......

In many states the laws are very lax, and the mother can get custody, if she enters treatment, which many do. However, any problem of every day life, can catapult them back into drugs again, then, if there is no deep family involvement, the child gets mistreated. left to fend for itself, abused, not feed, or cared for.....until family intervenes, if there is family.......

It is very, very disheartening.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or