U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You're not saying things I don't agree with. You're saying things that no one agrees with.

There's a difference.

And I posted the video because reading your commentary immediately made me think of it. You're delusional beyond belief.

Anyways, I'm done with it. Homers are gonna homer. Toodles!
i don't think 3 or 4 people on this website represents everybody in this country. I believe you and the other are just nashville / TN homers.

it is amazing that you feel compelled to call me delusional because I think a school with more STEM majors and students is better than a small liberal arts program that does not even have a business school. You are so competitive but it does not appear you even attended Vanderbilt. You are doing marketing for them for free. I wouldn't be touting Clemson if I didn't attend it. I would want to get paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 06:06 PM

22,120 posts, read 23,642,005 times
There are separate rubrics going on in this topic--one that takes heavily into consideration roi and tuition costs and one that puts less of an emphasis on it. If the former is that great of a concern, then it should also be mentioned on a practical level that private universities generally have much larger endowments and are often more generous when it comes to need-based scholarships.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:21 PM

5,012 posts, read 4,715,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are separate rubrics going on in this topic--one that takes heavily into consideration roi and tuition costs and one that puts less of an emphasis on it. If the former is that great of a concern, then it should also be mentioned on a practical level that private universities generally have much larger endowments and are often more generous when it comes to need-based scholarships.
True. And most of the top 25 schools (including Vandy) have need-blind admissions and commit to meeting all demonstrated need of the students admitted.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 PM

This is the college ranking that matters most.

Business Insider's 30 most fun colleges The 30 most fun colleges in America - Business Insider

The top ten schools listed were University of Illinois, Tulane University, Iowa University, Kansas State University, Clemson University, Syracuse University, West Virginia University, Penn State University, Claremont McKenna College and the University of Dayton.

So Clemson at no. 5, Vandy at no. 14. And these rankings did not even account for fact is Clemson campus is right next to a lake and it has its own lake beach, and it is near the Blue Ridge mountains.

onece you factor those things in and the warm winters in Clemson, i think Clemson has to be considered no. 1 most fun college. it is like going to college at a mountain lake resort. and obviously schools like Vandy and WM and Rice and Emory and DUke can't give a student the football game atmosphere and competitivness that Clemson can.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,043,534 times
I prefer to put schools in general tiers. So IMO:

Tier 1: Duke, Vandy, Rice
Tier 2: UNC, GA Tech, Univ. of Texas, Wake Forest, UF, Emory, Washington & Lee, William & Mary, UVA, Tulane, Davidson, Sewanee.
Tier 3: UGA, Clemson, Auburn, SMU, Texas A&M, Baylor, VA Tech.
Tier 4: Most of the other SEC schools, FSU, Houston, NC State, etc.

Probably missing some, but the south stacks up better than expected in the higher education department. I think it probably beats any region that isn't the northeast.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:37 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
This is the college ranking that matters most.

Business Insider's 30 most fun colleges The 30 most fun colleges in America - Business Insider

The top ten schools listed were University of Illinois, Tulane University, Iowa University, Kansas State University, Clemson University, Syracuse University, West Virginia University, Penn State University, Claremont McKenna College and the University of Dayton.

So Clemson at no. 5, Vandy at no. 14. And these rankings did not even account for fact is Clemson campus is right next to a lake and it has its own lake beach, and it is near the Blue Ridge mountains.

onece you factor those things in and the warm winters in Clemson, i think Clemson has to be considered no. 1 most fun college. it is like going to college at a mountain lake resort. and obviously schools like Vandy and WM and Rice and Emory and DUke can't give a student the football game atmosphere and competitivness that Clemson can.
Those are crap rankings. Colleges aren't measured by how fun they are. Vanderbilt handily tops Clemson in terms of quality of education. First you can't accept South Carolina is part of the Deep South. Next you compare Clemson to one of the Ivy League level colleges of the South. You need serious help.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 PM

so you want to refute the ranking of most fun colleges. ok then. seems valid to me and as i pointed out, the ranking sold Clemson short by not factoring in the lake and mountains.

you dont' know anything about Clemson. you live in St. Louis, and you didn't specifically refute anything that I said that makes Clemson better, such as it has a business school, Vandy does not. Clemson has more STEM majors and STEM students, etc.

in my view, a university that does not have an undergraduate business school is not even in the top 300. that is weird to me. i guess they are literally anti-business, that fits my impression of these 'elite' private universities in general.

i also dont' see how UNC is ranked so high at undergrad level with no engineering programs, most flagships have an engineering college. there are probably a lot of NC STEM students who would like to go to NC's flagship university but can't because they want to major in engineering. Chapel Hill is considered one of the best college towns in the country but these STEM students can't even apply there even though they could get accepted if UNC had engineering and architecture programs.

you previously claimed SC has more in common with Louisiana than NC, a state it shares a name and border with. i'm not sure how you can attack my credibility. there is no Cajun culture, Mardis Gras, etc in SC.

i think Clemson is better than Ivy League schools, because it is STEM oriented, they are basically liberal arts colleges plus their tuition is a ripoff. if a person wants to live in SC, a degree from Clemson is much more useful than one from an Ivy League. A Clemson degree opens a lot of doors in SC. I know a lot of you think Charleston is best city in SC, and Charleston is the most represented in state metro in the Clemson student and alumni network so Clemson degree is gold when trying to get a job in Charleston. A Vandy degree would probalby be an advantage in Nashville but i'd rather have a degree that would help me get a job in a city at the beach in SC than one that can help me get a job in a landlocked city that has a big emphasis on country music.

i know that if I was in a hiring manager role, i would not even itnerview a person with a degree from Ivy League school and Ivy wannabes like Duke and Vandy. I would interview people with degrees from large state schools. i know there are a lot of other anti-Ivy League people like me out there. ivy league just seems like rich people country club stuff. if you consider Bush, Obama, Gore, Kerry etc went to these ivy league schools, and in my view none of them are that bright, obviously they aren't that challenging and it is just about connections. Many people used to mock Bush for not even being able to say the word nuclear and other mispronuciations and bad grammar while speaking. I believe Obama transferred to Columbia or Harvard from Occidental College which isn't ranked that high in US News. if i had tried to transfer from Clemson, i probably get rejected because I don't have the connections.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-01-2016 at 12:16 AM..

Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post

Tier 2: UNC, GA Tech, Univ. of Texas, Wake Forest, UF, Emory, Washington & Lee, William & Mary, UVA, Tulane, Davidson, Sewanee.

Probably missing some, but the south stacks up better than expected in the higher education department. I think it probably beats any region that isn't the northeast.
More like; Tier 1: Duke, Vandy, Rice, Emory

Old 10-01-2016, 06:18 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,043,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
More like; Tier 1: Duke, Vandy, Rice, Emory
Why do you say that?

I doubt many outside Atlanta view Emory as on par with the other three. At least as far as admission criteria is concerned, Emory is a lot more like my tier 2 schools.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:47 AM

3,955 posts, read 3,272,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post

As someone who has degrees from institutions in both your Tier 2 and Tier 3, I generally agree, although I will say I think A&M is a better school than the peer institutions in Tier 3 you have listed, but that's splitting hairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or