U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM

3,773 posts, read 2,584,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
engineers from G Tech and Texas AM getting paid a lot more on average than liberal arts majors from UNC and W/M. and engineering is more challening for most people due to the math and science. i do not undnerstand how you could mock me for my statement so I would pose your snarky statement to you. what are you on
If a liberal arts degree was all anyone ever got from UNC your point might hold merit....but the medical school, dental school, law school, school of education, school of public health, and school of government churn out far more in the post-ba/bs level than A/T schools.

Also if you want to be taken seriously in online discussions it would serve you well to learn correct punctuation, capitalization, and sentence structure. Any University at any tier should help with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
the way that I write on an interent forum is different than how i write at work and I'm often typing upside down whilst on my back on my bed. T

there is also no reason for you to capitalize university unless you are referring to a specific university, so perhaps you should take your own advice.

i never denied UNC has those post grad programs but students who did their undergrad degrees at other schools in NC end up in those programs because there are only so many of them. MUSC and USC's medical school and pharmacy schools have a ton of Clemson students. i was only discussing undergrad levels but obviously Clemson has graduate programs in engineering and architecture and other progrmas that UNC does not offer.

i think something that is more important than spelling, punctuation, etc is good people skills.

i have nothing against UNC but I often see people say it is best public uni in south or one of the best , and those kind of generalizations are not accurate in my view.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-31-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 10:36 AM

5,712 posts, read 8,780,439 times
I realize you are saying Clemson has a good alumni support network, that is something I'd never thought about - is it something they cultivate? I don't consider it the most important aspect of a school. I'm not sure having a reputation for being a party school is helpful in a job search.

As a disinterested observer I will say that Vandy, Duke, and Emory carry more prestige. Being selective helps, I'm sure.

One thing we haven't talked about is the cities/towns located beside/around the schools. By your own admission Clemson students have to go to Greenville for anything beyond minimal shopping and dining. Other than Western Carolina in Culowee, are there any other large state schools with fewer commercial and culinary amenities? Shouldn't that count for something?

SV, I do find your homerism disturbing. I originally thought you were a teenager and would grow out of it. Consider this: I prefer Knoxville to Nashville (as does my friend who lives in Franklin TN) but I don't go on and on about it. Guess what, Sometimes I feel Greenville is preferable to Knoxville, especially when I'm returning from the beach! But it doesn't bother me at all that others don't share my personal opinion. Promoting Greenville is one thing, but putting down other cities to do it is not necessary. Claiming that Greenville is better for tourists than Asheville and Charleston is the most blatant example.

I sincerely hope you will look into this and see if it is part of a larger problem.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 AM

most Clemson students don't go to Greenville that often for shopping, they typically would do that when they go home for the weekend, wherever home may be. many students don't have unlimited money. Anderson has a mall and most big box stores and it is only 12 minutes or so from Clemson. you say by my 'own admission' but i never said anythign about students at Clemson going to Greenville for shopping. I said it is an option, only being 40 minutes away. if Clemson studetns were big shoppers, why did they decide to attend Clemson. I think the appeal of Clemson is it doesn't have all the big box stores, it is like a lake resort. You are making it a big deal but obviously they don't, so why do you care? Clemson has more than enough restaurants for college students and Anderson and Seneca are not far away with even more. you obviously not familiar with Clemson. most students have a meal plan at the cafeteria and they have to eat certain number of meals in a week or they lose them and waste their money.

i don't think Vandy, Duke and Emory have more prestige with employers in engineering and architecture, or more prestige in SC. Vandy and I think Duke don't even have undergraduate business programs. Clemson has a lot more undergraduate programs and majors than these smaller private schools especialy STEM majors and business majors as mentioned. you did not attended these private schools so comparing them to Clemson, a school you also did not attend, is analogous to comparing restaurants you've never been to.

Schools like Vandy have more prestige with publications like US News which is where most people get their notion it is more prestigious. the liberal arts people at US News don't do the hiring of engineers, architects, etc. i've posted in the past on why the US News rankings are silly. Employers make their own decisions about who universities and who to hire.

I've never put down other cities. that your false narrative. If I say Greenville has certain advantages or is as good as other cities in certain areas, you construe it as a putdown. you think that you have the right to rank cities for everybody.

i'm not 'promoting' Greenville on here, I simply like living here and I mention it as a place to consider and given reasons for it. I can't force anybody to move here and you act like i'm going to lose sleep if people don't move here. it is an absurd inference.

i've never 'gone on and on' about Nashville such I think it is too far from the beach for me, which isn't a controversial statement. i'm made a one or two comments about it on two threads. you like to mischaracterize things i say. this is like the 5th time you've made this exact same post, that's I am a homer, etc.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-31-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 11:34 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,811,969 times
Cheers to those who mentioned The University of the South (Sewanee).

Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I've never put down other cities.
You have put down Asheville and Charleston repeatedly.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
studies have shown that the campus and city of the college is a major factor in where a kid goes to school. it may be the most important factor.
Interesting that you said this on another thread.

I get that the mountains and lakes north of Clemson are beautiful. I'll take your word that the campus itself is beautiful. What I have a real hard time with is the idea that Clemson as a town offers anything close to the cities containing other major universities in the eastern SE. (not too familiar with Miss & AL)

Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Interesting that you said this on another thread.

I get that the mountains and lakes north of Clemson are beautiful. I'll take your word that the campus itself is beautiful. What I have a real hard time with is the idea that Clemson as a town offers anything close to the cities containing other major universities in the eastern SE. (not too familiar with Miss & AL)
ok, nobody is forcing anybody to go to Clemson and I'm not trying to convince you it is better than any other university. everybody gets to decide that for themselves. Clemson is for Clemson students. Clemson is obviously a small town so i don't why you need to keep stating that. why would a student go to Clemson if he or she has a problem living in small towns. It has like the 10th highest out of state tuition in the country for a public unviersity so obviously there is a big demand by students to attend the school.

not everybody is a big shopper like you appear to be. Anderson is not far away for shopping, and Clemson has a good number of restaurants.

Clemson is much better for outdoor activities than most places, it is near the mountains, numerous waterfalls, one of the best whitewate rivers in the country, it has numerous mountain biking trailsin the huge research forest, a golf course on campus, and a lake right next to campus.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You have put down Asheville and Charleston repeatedly.
this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread which is the 'best university in the south'. you are off topic. you like to rehash discussions on other threads.

you can't provide any quote of mine that can be construed as putting down these two cities. i've expressed that i like Greenville better and given specific valid reasons for why i like it better, and i think those two tourist cities tend to be overhyped. you appear to be a big fan of those two cities and don't like it if somebody doesn't 'rank' them above Greenville. you then hypocritically accuse me of being a 'homer'. i've also said that I prefer those cities to many other places.

it appears to me you are eager to bicker. you also appear to put a lot of importance on things that I say on here. i'm one person with an opinion.

i've rarely posted about those two cities on here. if my goal was to beat up on these two cities, why don't i have many posts in the forums for those two cities. most of my posts are about Greenville because that is where i live.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:51 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,706,962 times
Duke, Vanderbilt, University of Virginia, Rice, Emory, UT Austin, UNC....possibly Tulane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or