Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

Gtech is def. not unsung. it is probably overrated compared to other universities with engineering programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 PM

401 posts, read 535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
engineers from G Tech and Texas AM getting paid a lot more on average than liberal arts majors from UNC and W/M. and engineering is more challening for most people due to the math and science. i do not undnerstand how you could mock me for my statement so I would pose your snarky statement to you. what are you on
Why are you acting like one department within an institution is the benchmark for its entire academic reputation? Go look at any ranking you wish. William & Mary and UNC are more prestigious and have a better academic reputation, on the whole, than GT.

That's such a widespread and accepted notion, I'm laughing to myself that you'd think otherwise.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:28 PM

[quote=Texas Ag 93;45658013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Private: Duke, Vandy, Emory, Wake Forest, Rice
Quote:

I'd add Tulane in New Orleans as well, though at a tier below the institutions mentioned above.

You right. Forgot Tulane.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Private: Duke, Vandy, Emory, Wake Forest, Rice

Public: UTexas, UGA, UVA, UFlorida, UNC, William and Mary

To a lesser extent: Texas A&M, GT, SMU, Tulane
Good list. I would add Miami to the lesser extent portion.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Why are you acting like one department within an institution is the benchmark for its entire academic reputation? Go look at any ranking you wish. William & Mary and UNC are more prestigious and have a better academic reputation, on the whole, than GT.

That's such a widespread and accepted notion, I'm laughing to myself that you'd think otherwise.
so because US News says UNC is better, it must be. obviously it isn't better for engineering, it doesn't offer engineering. G Tech also offers architecture and UNC and W/M do not. i think a college that has more majors at undergrad level, especially ones that lead to high paying jobs, is by default a better college.

i know a ton of people who will say Georgia Tech is more challenging than UNC.

engineering isn't one department. it is numerous departments within a college of engineering.

it is funny to me how seriously you and other people taking college rankings. it is like nobody can question them. i kind of doubt a person living in Birmingham is an expert on William and Mary and UNC.

William and Mary is a tiny school: 6,301 undergraduates and 2,183 graduate students

i think people are much better off going to large universities with large alumni networks, that helps when looking for a job.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-29-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 07:55 PM

unc, w&m, and G Tech are ranked 4th, 5th, and 6th public universities respectively in the latest US News rankings, but he says 'what are you smoking' when I say G Tech is better. you'd think G Tech would be like 300th in the rankings given his snarky comment.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ies/top-public

Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Geez Sally, sorry I hurt your feelings.

Doesn't change the fact that UNC and W&M are a tier above GT.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Good list. I would add Miami to the lesser extent portion.
Agreed. Miami has strong academics.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Geez Sally, sorry I hurt your feelings.

Doesn't change the fact that UNC and W&M are a tier above GT.
what college did you go to?

do you have any independent knowledge of the universities? do you know a single professor, student or alumni at any of them?

how is a college with less majors and no engineering / architecture programs better than one that has more majors and engineering / architecture? do you have an answer to this that does not involve 3rd party rankings?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
There are also some quite well-respected liberal arts colleges that bear mentioning. Some that jump to mind: Davidson; Washington & Lee; Richmond; Furman; Sewanee; Rollins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.