Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:21 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
what college did you go to?

do you have any independent knowledge of the universities? do you know a single professor, student or alumni at any of them?

how is a college with less majors and no engineering / architecture programs better than one that has more majors and engineering / architecture? do you have an answer to this that does not involve 3rd party rankings?
There is bioengineering and computer science programs at UNC, and my department at NC State collaborates with UNC. I'm not saying you are wrong that GT is a good school that should be in the argument just saying you are really down playing UNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:29 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
There is bioengineering and computer science programs at UNC, and my department at NC State collaborates with UNC. I'm not saying you are wrong that GT is a good school that should be in the argument just saying you are really down playing UNC.
where have i downplayed UNC. i said i think G Tech and other universities that offer engineering and architecture are better options. UNC doesn't have the traditional engineering programs which is quite rare for a flagship school.

why is a NC State person touting UNC.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Geez Sally, sorry I hurt your feelings.

Doesn't change the fact that UNC and W&M are a tier above GT.
1 or 2 places in a ranking of hundreds does not constitute a tier.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:34 AM

www.popecenter.org/acrobat/pope_articles/collegeranking-inquiry17.pdf

here is a good in depth criticism of the US NEws rankings criteria.

they mention UNC in it:

It is also true that selective institutions may have weak curricula and non-selective ones may have strong curricula.
Within the UNC system, a Pope Center study found in 2003, the most selective institution, UNC-Chapel
Hill, has the weakest core curriculum requirements, allowing students to choose among a vast assortment of
course offerings, many of them narrow or trendy. On the contrary, Elizabeth City State University, a non-selective
school, has a strong core curriculum requiring all students to take an array of courses that constitute a firm
educational foundation.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
where have i downplayed UNC. i said i think G Tech and other universities that offer engineering and architecture are better options. UNC doesn't have the traditional engineering programs which is quite rare for a flagship school.
UNC and NC State are the two largest institutions of the same system. Many decades ago, the NC General Assembly assigned programs/colleges to each of the universities in order to not put them in competition with each other for funding and to concentrate the resources and talent for the programs into a single (at that time) institution. NC State received the Engineering programs in that process. Given the proximity of the two universities to each other, the academic collaboration between the two universities has been strong.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 AM

i understand all that, but that doesn't change the fact that it is difficult for people to argue UNC is better than G Tech, Clemson, etc if they have challenging programs at the undergrad level that UNC does not. engineering programs are not easy and they bring a lot of nerds to the university.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:55 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
Quote:

why is a NC State person touting UNC.
chill man, it isn't that serious, I only mentioned State because when others posted about UNC you starting drilling them about what connection do they have to the University, etc etc. If you say you aren't down playing UNC fine, all I've been saying is it is one of the best, that doesn't mean GT isn't either.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:58 AM

i never said this was serious. you are making an incorrect inference.

you obviously didn't read the conversation. a person in Alabama mocked me when I saiid I think G Tech and Texas AM are better colleges than UNC and WM, and he asserted that those two colleges are far superior. i then asked him if he had any independent knowledge of the universities, their professors, students, alumni. i think it is a good question. it is clear his entire basis for his assertion comes straight from US News which has an obviously flawed ranking criteria.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:04 AM

597 posts, read 666,749 times
If we simply go by rankings, why even ask the question?

Any insiders have views on actual academic quality - professors, administrators, students, alums who have actually gone to these schools; HR people, business owners, managers/supervisors, employees who hire and/or work with grads of specific schools.

I'm always amazed how much people (including sometimes myself) are often slaves to USNWR rankings. Not that they're necessarily "wrong" in every instance, but they're not gospel. It's a ranking that plugs in criteria and spits out a number; a ranking that has been continually revised with suggestions from college administrators.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:08 AM

the US News rankings are based on numerous flawed assumptions, such as a person with a PhD degree is a better teacher than a person with only a B.S, or that a university that is more selective in admissions has a more rigorous curriculum than less selective universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.