U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
You've literally been doing the same thing throughout this thread. Prestige is premised on perception. People can take perceptive audits, on any subject, wherever they go. You're saying because one didn't go to Stanford, one cannot comment on its reputation, nor make comparisons thereto. You don't come off as Stanford material. Or Virginia College, for that matter. You certainly don't write like you went to any college.
you are the guy saying callow things like 'what you are smoking' and being contentious for no reason. You don't strike me as a person going to a top college. You think a tiny liberal arts college is better than Georgia Tech even though it has no engineering and architecture programs and little name recogition on national level. You asserted it is is a tier above Georgia Tech although Georgia tech was ranked 6th, 1 spot behind WM, in the rankings that are the basis of your opinion.

You are free to make comparisons and I'm free to point out that you are are only parroting 3rd party publications who used flawed assumptions in their rankings.

What college do you attend or did you attend? You claim you are smarter than me. I went to Clemson. If Clemson is ranked higher than your college, does that mean that I am smarter than you? that seems to be your logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
I'm guilty of it from time to time. Not at all the time.
Mutiny loves to insult people on here. I went to a higher ranked college he did though, Clemson University. He just said Emory which has no engineering or architecture programs is better than Clemson. Clemson is not in the same league, he said. Are we supposed to just accept that no questions asked because he went to Winthrop or Clinton College in Rock Hill? He is free to his opinion but he doesn't like it when people don't agree with him. He acts like he is the source authority on everything and you seem to have the same kind of personality. I do know more about Clemson than he does and how it is perceived in certain industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, AL
382 posts, read 359,951 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you are the guy saying callow things like 'what you are smoking' and being contentious for no reason. You don't strike me as a person going to a top college. You think a tiny liberal arts college is better than Georgia Tech even though it has no engineering and architecture programs and little name recogition on national level. You asserted it is is a tier above Georgia Tech although Georgia tech was ranked 6th, 1 spot behind WM, in the rankings that are the basis of your opinion.

You are free to make comparisons and I'm free to point out that you are are only parroting 3rd party publications who used flawed assumptions in their rankings.
If it will help you sleep at night, I'll capitulate by saying that GT is closer in prestige to UNC than I stated a few pages ago. You can unclinch. But as far your beliefs on UTenn, UGA, and Clemson having equal academic clout to Vandy, I nor anyone else can help you. But keep it up, it's giving us quite a show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Disagreeing with you does not mean that I'm uptight. You've been uptight that I disagreed with you. You've call me 'Sally' and been contentious in general. You said 'what am i smoking' when I said i think Georgia Tech is better than UNC because it has engineering and architecture programs which isn't a crazy opinion.

I'm a mechanical engineer. I think that I am a bright person. You have not done anything to prove that you are smarter than me or anybody else.

It is cool if you think Vandy is a better school. I disagree. I would say Clemson is at least as good as Vanderbilt. You haven't articulated specifically how it is better. I'm assuming your reason is because US News rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, AL
382 posts, read 359,951 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Mutiny loves to insult people on here. I went to a higher ranked college he did though, Clemson University. He just said Emory which has no engineering or architecture programs is better than Clemson. Clemson is not in the same league, he said. Are we supposed to just accept that no questions asked because he went to Winthrop or Clinton College in Rock Hill? He is free to his opinion but he doesn't like it when people don't agree with him.
If this were a "Best engineering school in the South" thread, then Clemson would be a fine answer. However, on the academic whole, it is quite inferior to many other schools listed. So is my undergraduate institution -- although I went to a highly ranked law school. That doesn't upset me in the least, nor should it upset any sane person. One doesn't have to go to Vanderbilt to get a fantastic education, with Vanderbilt co-existing as a comparatively better school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
If this were a "Best engineering school in the South" thread, then Clemson would be a fine answer. However, on the academic whole, it is quite inferior to many other schools listed. So is my undergraduate institution -- although I went to a highly ranked law school. That doesn't upset me in the least, nor should it upset any sane person. One doesn't have to go to Vanderbilt to get a fantastic education, with Vanderbilt co-existing as a comparatively better school.
you have no basis for this. do you know single professor, alumni, student at Clemson? there is noting wrong with me asking how it is you are an expert on a school you did not attend.

Clemson is one of the best engineering schools in the nation although there are plenty of others that are great. basically every land grant university engineering school is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 02:03 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 1,239,183 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
is that looking at undergrad ROI, or all the programs including the medical and law schools?

Duke is a ripoff, you are paying like 4 or 5 times as much for the same courses as Clemson, UVA and other universities. can you specifify how the education at Duke is 4 or 5 times better than these large public universities? even if somehow the ROI was higher, i personally could not pay 4 or 5 times more for a service. i'd rather take my chances with a large public university that has a much larger alumni network which helps to get a job.

Duke is the college with the faculty that rushed to find those Duke lacrosee players guilty of rape of that black woman, and they even fired the Duke lacrosse coacch , despite not having any evidence the atheletes were guilty. all that mattered to them was the skin color of the accuser and the accused.

I have no respect for the academic side of Duke. I do love Coach K and Duke basketball though.
I am no fan of duke what so ever, but damn you went back to the lacrosse case, haven't heard anybody talk about that in since the year it happened. I am pretty sure if the accuser was white it would have been the same result, duke cares about what other universities care about, keeping their reputation. Unfortunately there have been some women(black and white) who have lied in particularly on athletes, at the same time when it comes to rape, most people don't jump to the conclusion that accuser is lying. Don't know why that would make you not respect the academic side of Duke.

Will say that most private colleges are too damn expensive, and a lot of them are indeed rip offs. Don't know if you ever watched the documentary "Ivory Tower" but explains a lot of colleges(both public and private are so expensive). Schools are building 100 million dollar libraries, student unions complete with rocking climbing, zip-lining, spas, hot tubs, bowling alleys, multiple restaurants, hotels, athletic field expansions, etc etc etc. All of it equals higher tuition for students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
you can keep your reputation without rushing to judgement and allowing the justice system to do its job first. in truth they damaged their reputation with their lynch mob approach. Coach K was the only Duke person who seemed to have any honor and supports the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

This reminds me of the UNC scandal where they had fake classes for atheletes to keep them eligible. But if I say Georgia tech is better than UNC, that upsets people who go by the rankings. A school that had fake classes did not drop big time in these college rankings. that is a magic trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, AL
382 posts, read 359,951 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you have no basis for this. do you know single professor, alumni, student at Clemson? there is noting wrong with me asking how it is you are an expert on a school you did not attend.
All of the above, as it were, the most immediate being a family member. I'm very close friends with Mr. Cawood of Goodwyn, Mills, and Cawood -- I'm sure you've heard of his firm, being a Greenville resident. He's a heavy hitting CU alum. They hire more Auburn grads than CU. Moreover, I was recruited by Clemson football in high school. There was a time I could've called Dabo on his cell phone, and he would've answered ready to chat (he was a lowly QB coach at the time). I'm intimately familiar with CU, so you can spare any further godawful assumptions.

Anyhoo, might want to check current rankings on engineering schools. You puff about Clemson a little too proudly. Might want to work on outranking a few SEC engineering programs before you come poking your chest out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
I have a feeling you are making some things up. oh yeah you got Dabo on speed dial, and because you talk to Dabo, a football coach and not exactly an academic kind of person, you are uniquely qualified to know Vandervilt is better than Clemson academically. i guess Dabo talks down Clemson academics.

if you didn't attend the school, you don't know much about it. being recruited, etc isn't giving you in depth knowledge of the school. that makes no sense.

i know Clemson is higher ranked than Auburn and Bama.

i don't think it is bragging for me to say Clemson is as good as Vanderbilt, and I pointed out that most land grant universities have great engineering programs. this appears to be the exact opposite of bragging.

You were bragging about Vanderbilt, saying Clemson is it is not in its league, but you have a problem with me bragging, even though I am not. i love the lack of self awareness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top