Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 02:16 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you can keep your reputation without rushing to judgement and allowing the justice system to do its job first. in truth they damaged their reputation with their lynch mob approach. Coach K was the only Duke person who seemed to have any honor and supports the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

This reminds me of the UNC scandal where they had fake classes for atheletes to keep them eligible. But if I say Georgia tech is better than UNC, that upsets people who go by the rankings. A school that had fake classes did not drop big time in these college rankings. that is a magic trick.
C'mon man, every college in the entire US, hell even some HS were doing that. UNC simply got caught, you are kidding yourself if you think UNC was alone in doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
C'mon man, every college in the entire US, hell even some HS were doing that. UNC simply got caught, you are kidding yourself if you think UNC was alone in doing that.
i believe in making assertions based on evidence, not conjecture. A school that is touted as an elite college should not be doing that. No college should be doing it. Alleged multiple wrongs don't make a right.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
i believe in making assertions based on evidence, not conjecture. A school that is touted as an elite college should not be doing that. Alleged multiple wrongs don't make a right.
You be naive if you want, and nobody said it was right, just said that is what is happening all over.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:25 PM

it is not naive to expect universities to be ethical. it means i care about ethics. i am sure other colleges have had fake classes but I don't believe it is most colleges. your logic is basically if somebody steals, everybody steals. not true though. most people don't steal. you are selling people short.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
it is not naive to expect universities to be ethical. it means i care about ethics. i am sure other colleges have had fake classes but I don't believe it is most colleges. your logic is basically if somebody steals, everybody steals. not true though. most people don't steal. you are selling people short.
That's not what I said, this is a known problem between universities and athletes, and not just a few, but many all over the country. This is even a known issue when it comes to High School athletics. UNC was simply caught. I'm just agree to disagree on this, everybody is allowed their opinion, taking this back on topic. The same raking(roi) site that put Duke and Vandy over Clemson, Tenn, UGA also put GA Tech in the top 8(in state), 20(out of state) over all when it comes to ROI and it was the only school in the south that was even in the top 20. So there is a strong argument that many of us have down played it.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:57 PM

401 posts, read 536,235 times
Quote:

If you didn't attend the school, you don't know much about it. being recruited, etc isn't giving you in depth knowledge of the school.

i know Clemson is higher ranked than Auburn and Bama.

i don't think it is bragging for me to say Clemson is as good as Vanderbilt, and I pointed out that most land grant universities have great engineering programs. this appears to be the exact opposite of bragging.
Suspend belief when it's convenient.

It's the internet and people can say whatever they'd like, but rest assured that I am overly familiar with Clemson. I applied and was accepted to Clemson. I've taken two official football visits to the campus. I've visited my cousin and the Cawoods multiple times over the years at Clemson.

But let us focus on your next two sentences, which is where you're having trouble. Clemson IS indeed ranked higher than Alabama and Auburn academically. Academically. Factoring in the totality of ALL majors, curriculums, fields, departments, etc - Clemson IS indeed a better academic school than AU or UA. Just as Vandy, Duke, UF, UGA, and about 20 other southern schools ARE better academic schools than Clemson. ON THE WHOLE. THE WHOLE. THE ENTIRE ACADEMIC LANDSCAPE TAKEN IN TOTALITY.

But you keep pointing to Clemon's engineering -- but one department / college in a university containing dozens of disciplines -- and treating it as the benchmark by which it is measured, and all other institutions measured against it. Again, this is NOT a "Best Engineering School in the South" thread. The question was which schools have the best academics ON THE WHOLE. BEYOND solely engineering. That is an unbelievably simply distinction, and the fact you continue to offend it is frightening. I don't think I would want to walk across a bridge you designed.

But EVEN IF we were purely discussing engineering programs, again there are many Southern schools which best Clemson in that field, Vandy included. So we've heard you. We know where you went to school. We know you're proud. But it's reached the point of psychobabble, and honestly the point of hubris. Clemson is a great school. It's an exceptional engineering school. But there are better schools in the South. There are better engineering programs in the South. Period.

It's the equivalent of me saying that Bama is just as good a school academically as UGA, because we have a better law school. That is ridiculous.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
That's not what I said, this is a known problem between universities and athletes, and not just a few, but many all over the country. This is even a known issue when it comes to High School athletics. UNC was simply caught. I'm just agree to disagree on this, everybody is allowed their opinion, taking this back on topic. The same raking(roi) site that put Duke and Vandy over Clemson, Tenn, UGA also put GA Tech in the top 8(in state), 20(out of state) over all when it comes to ROI and it was the only school in the south that was even in the top 20. So there is a strong argument that many of us have down played it.
i don't buy Duke has a better ROI, unless they are talking about the medical school. its tuition is a total ripoff. to believe it has better ROI at the undergrad level, you have to believe the graduates make 4 or 5 times as much as NC State, Clemson, etc students. that doesn't happen.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Washington and Lee, William and Marry, UVA, UNC Chaple Hill, Emory, Rice, Vanderbilt, Tulane... Everything else is just a trade school

Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Suspend belief when it's convenient.

It's the internet and people can say whatever they'd like, but rest assured that I am overly familiar with Clemson. I applied and was accepted to Clemson. I've taken two official football visits to the campus. I've visited my cousin and the Cawoods multiple times over the years at Clemson.

But let us focus on your next two sentences, which is where you're having trouble. Clemson IS indeed ranked higher than Alabama and Auburn academically. Academically. Factoring in the totality of ALL majors, curriculums, fields, departments, etc - Clemson IS indeed a better academic school than AU or UA. Just as Vandy, Duke, UF, UGA, and about 20 other southern schools ARE better academic schools than Clemson. ON THE WHOLE. THE WHOLE. THE ENTIRE ACADEMIC LANDSCAPE TAKEN IN TOTALITY.

But you keep pointing to Clemon's engineering -- but one department / college in a university containing dozens of disciplines -- and treating it as the benchmark by which it is measured, and all other institutions measured against it. Again, this is NOT a "Best Engineering School in the South" thread. The question was which schools have the best academics ON THE WHOLE. BEYOND solely engineering. That is an unbelievably simply distinction, and the fact you continue to offend it is frightening. I don't think I would want to walk across a bridge you designed.

But EVEN IF we were purely discussing engineering programs, again there are many Southern schools which best Clemson in that field, Vandy included. So we've heard you. We know where you went to school. We know you're proud. But it's reached the point of psychobabble, and honestly the point of hubris. Clemson is a great school. It's an exceptional engineering school. But there are better schools in the South. There are better engineering programs in the South. Period.

It's the equivalent of me saying that Bama is just as good a school academically as UGA, because we have a better law school. That is ridiculous.
ok. I repeat, you have never attended Clemson and you haven't attended these other schools. you are doing a comparison with no indepedent knowledge of the schools you are comparing. Period. I'm not sure why you are SHOUTING on this topic.

I don't think Clemson is only as good as Vandy in engineering. That is your wild inference. I think Clemson stacks up well with Vanderbilt and other universities across the board. you have not provided on specific example of what Vanderbilt and UNC and other colleges do that is better than Clemson.

taking visits to Clemson doesn't make you an expert on its academics and how it is perceived by employers. i cannot believe you are making that assertion. and it isn't believable you have Dabo on speed dial and even if you did, it doesn't mean you are an expert on Clemson academics.

i don't know how a non-engineer knows Vandy bests Clemson in engineering. talk about hubris, along with your bragging and tall telling about having Dabo on your speed dial,

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-30-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 03:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Rice, Tulane, UNC, Emory, Vanderbelt, and William and Mary leap to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.