U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is the best?
Baltimore 15 45.45%
Cincinnati 12 36.36%
St. Louis 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 PM

159 posts, read 168,427 times

Advertisements

I feel like these 3 cities have a lot in common while also remaining different. They are all near water, have some row homes and are trying to redevelop themselves after hard times. Which one of these 3 cities would you live in if given the choice and which do you think has the best chance to succeed in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 PM

159 posts, read 168,427 times
Sorry meant to post this in city vs city section, can a mod close this?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 PM

65 posts, read 38,287 times
I couldn't vote because all 3 cities are great cities with great culture and great food.
Cincinnati has those gorgeous hills and the Cincinnati chilli and it's in the Midwest but southern and country. St. Louis has arguably the best BBQ in the nation, and Baltimore has amazing seafood, a great waterfront and is only a few hours from many of Americas other premier cities

Old 09-30-2016, 01:14 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBellyBilly View Post
I couldn't vote because all 3 cities are great cities with great culture and great food.
Cincinnati has those gorgeous hills and the Cincinnati chilli and it's in the Midwest but southern and country. St. Louis has arguably the best BBQ in the nation, and Baltimore has amazing seafood, a great waterfront and is only a few hours from many of Americas other premier cities
St. Louis has good BBQ, but it's not the best in the nation. Cincinnati is not Southern and country at all. St. Louis is easily the biggest metro of the three so my vote goes to St. Louis.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,958,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
St. Louis is easily the biggest metro of the three so my vote goes to St. Louis.
...easily the biggest metro of the three?

St. Louis - 2,811,588 (+0.86% change, 2010/2015)
* Baltimore - 2,797,407 (+3.21% change, 2010/2015)

Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,032,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
...easily the biggest metro of the three?

St. Louis - 2,811,588 (+0.86% change, 2010/2015)
* Baltimore - 2,797,407 (+3.21% change, 2010/2015)
Perhaps U146 is actually saying that the St. Louis MSA covers three times as many square miles as Baltimore's. As someone from Baltimore, I don't get to say anything positive about my home region very often, but I think it is safe to say that Baltimore has a stronger metro than St. Louis. Of course, now that I have said something semi-positive about Baltimore, the DC crowd will come out of the woodwork and give Baltimore another good thrashing.

Of the three cities it is a very close race but I would have the say that Cincinnati is slightly ahead of Baltimore right now. Baltimore is getting new (and inevitably better) leadership soon, so it may be able to close the gap by the end of the decade.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:13 AM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Perhaps U146 is actually saying that the St. Louis MSA covers three times as many square miles as Baltimore's. As someone from Baltimore, I don't get to say anything positive about my home region very often, but I think it is safe to say that Baltimore has a stronger metro than St. Louis. Of course, now that I have said something semi-positive about Baltimore, the DC crowd will come out of the woodwork and give Baltimore another good thrashing.

Of the three cities it is a very close race but I would have the say that Cincinnati is slightly ahead of Baltimore right now. Baltimore is getting new (and inevitably better) leadership soon, so it may be able to close the gap by the end of the decade.
You can say something positive about Baltimore with impunity. Eventually their perception of Baltimore will be outdated, which is happening slowly but surely.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:47 PM

605 posts, read 466,961 times
Despite it's problems with crime, Baltimore probably has more development/infill projects currently taking place than both St. Louis or Cincinnati at the moment with Port Covington (Under Armor's new corporate campus), the Rotunda, 414 Light Street, and Harbor Point.

Port Covington | We Will Build It. Together.

The Rotunda | Baltimore's Premier Mixed-Use Community in Hampden

414 Light Street – SCB

Beatty Development :: Harbor Point

Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 PM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Despite it's problems with crime, Baltimore probably has more development/infill projects currently taking place than both St. Louis or Cincinnati at the moment with Port Covington (Under Armor's new corporate campus), the Rotunda, 414 Light Street, and Harbor Point.

Port Covington | We Will Build It. Together.

The Rotunda | Baltimore's Premier Mixed-Use Community in Hampden

414 Light Street – SCB

Beatty Development :: Harbor Point
Also:

Stadium Square

L on Liberty

Whatever they're trying to build in little Italy

Harbor Point

EBDI

The Development site at the former Mechanic Theatre (whenever the get thru the red tape about the garage that's currently below it)

There's another development right beside 414 light street that I don't really know much about, but there are cranes up currently.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 AM

637 posts, read 1,032,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
St. Louis has good BBQ, but it's not the best in the nation. Cincinnati is not Southern and country at all. St. Louis is easily the biggest metro of the three so my vote goes to St. Louis.
Not true at all. Cincinnati is Appalachian through and through. Many of the residents are from eastern Kentucky and Tennessee and the city is not very progressive at all. Although a diverse, worldly and educated population exists in decent numbers, they are not who steer the culture and ambiance of the city. This is slowly changing, but that slow/country element still exists, it's just not on the level of OKC or Memphis etc... Actually, all of these cities have country elements to them, but that doesn't mean they're flat-out country, just basic Rust Belt cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or