U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 974 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been living in Los Angeles most of my life. I've been searching for a city where I can begin studying my PhD in business, but I am clustered. I want to move because LA is a bit expensive and the weather is too HOT. I enjoy cold weather, I don't mind little rain and snow. I love the outdoors as well as going to diverse restaurants and socializing . I'm in my 20's, I do like a city that is friendly and welcoming.
Any ideas what city I should look into? Please share any thoughts or opinions you may have.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Are there any programs and cities you have looked into?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 PM

993 posts, read 596,953 times
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Indiana University-Bloomington
Ohio State University

All affordable, cooler/colder cities with nice universities that happen to be large.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 974 times
I've looked into Oregon, Seattle, and Sacramento. I heard Portland and Seattle becomes depressing, and Sacramento isn't an exciting city. Any big city would have my program, its just a matter of finding a city that have a good employment rate and is friendly (unlike LA).

Old 09-29-2016, 08:51 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Denver, but the cost of living can be off-putting depending on what you're used to.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:16 PM

93 posts, read 55,195 times
Chicago could be a good fit! There are enough top business programs to go around, the winters are (notoriously) cold, and the COL is much better than LA

Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Ohio State University

All affordable, cooler/colder cities with nice universities that happen to be large.
I guess you could add Michigan State's Eli Broad College of Business in East Lansing or the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

I know that Syracuse University's Whitman School of Management is pretty good, but I'm not sure if it would work for the OP. Same for the Simon Business School at the University of Rochester or U Buffalo's School of Management.

The Katz School of Business at Pitt(U of Pittsburgh) may be another school to look into.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:10 AM

65 posts, read 38,356 times
Quote:
Ohio State University

I second those choices, all fine towns and institutions, however Madison WI is VERY COLD in the winter. The first year there coming from LA will be a shocker. Columbus is my favorite out of the three. Love that city.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 AM

993 posts, read 596,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess you could add Michigan State's Eli Broad College of Business in East Lansing or the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

I know that Syracuse University's Whitman School of Management is pretty good, but I'm not sure if it would work for the OP. Same for the Simon Business School at the University of Rochester or U Buffalo's School of Management.

The Katz School of Business at Pitt(U of Pittsburgh) may be another school to look into.
I almost mentioned Syracuse, but from what I've heard the city isn't a nice place to live. I was trying to think of cities where the OP could settle, and, oh, there happens to be a big college business school there.

Ann-Arbor is very nice also, a tough get though without stellar credentials.

Nice call on Pitt. That definitely should be added.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I almost mentioned Syracuse, but from what I've heard the city isn't a nice place to live. I was trying to think of cities where the OP could settle, and, oh, there happens to be a big college business school there.

Ann-Arbor is very nice also, a tough get though without stellar credentials.

Nice call on Pitt. That definitely should be added.
Syracuse actually has areas of the city(only 25 square miles/5th biggest city in NYS) that would definitely fit like Westcott and the vast majority of the East Side, Tipperary Hill, Downtown, Eastwood, as well as other outer city (Court-Woodlawn, South Valley, parts of West End, Winkworth, Elmwood up the hill, etc.)and old money neighborhoods(Sedgwick, Strathmore, Scottholm). You also have nice, walkable suburban villages like Liverpool, Fayetteville and Manlius, among others. I just didn't know if it would be up for definite consideration by the OP.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-30-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.