U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The South has defined the culture of the US more than any other region?
Yes it has 21 21.65%
No it hasn't 76 78.35%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,647 posts, read 3,700,783 times
Reputation: 12494

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you agree with this statement?


Might be true in terms of music but not so much else. Maybe unhealthy fried food.

Also, can you state why the Southern culture is more monolithic than other places.


This is something of a myth -- there is no monolithic "south" and never has been. Waco Texas is not Athens Georgia and Nashville Tennessee is not Charleston So. Carolina. Even Memphis and New Orleans are quite different. There are coastal, inland, mountain, urban, delta and backwoods cultures in what is commonly lumped together as "the South".


There are some very impressive cultural hotspots in the southern states but to say that they depend upon being from "the South" diminishes them...they stand on their own.


I suspect other regions may be more reluctant to admit how much influence the South has had.

I think many folks are stuck in the rut of projecting that myth of "the South". That alone will generate some friction among folks from other regions. Southern states have many assets but are not better or worse than any other region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2016, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Cbus
1,721 posts, read 1,409,183 times
Reputation: 2093
I think the south has contributed greatly to the culture of our country, however I don't know if I would say the south has defined our culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,827 posts, read 9,465,248 times
Reputation: 6186
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Are you talking about Washington and jefferson and all the early virginians influence on the formation of the country? In terms of contemporary culture, LA and Manhattan define the media and contemporary culture. dixieland ,jazzs,blues, etc are not the dominant form of music,etc and most of the media comes from Manhattan and LA
I'm talking about historically as well as now.

Jazz, country, blues, these art forms are popular the world over. Just because you listen to pop doesn't mean there aren't cultural afficionados the world over that don't appreciate these art forms. You could also say rock and roll was invented in the South (thanks Elvis).

As far as food, southern fried chicken is popular everywhere, iced tea is ubiquitous as is barbecue, as well as deserts like peach cobbler and pecan pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,827 posts, read 9,465,248 times
Reputation: 6186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think many folks are stuck in the rut of projecting that myth of "the South". That alone will generate some friction among folks from other regions. Southern states have many assets but are not better or worse than any other region.
You are assigning a value statement. I didn't. I didn't say they were better or worse, just that they have managed to produce cultural assets disproportional to the size and population of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,091,229 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You could also say rock and roll was invented in the South (thanks Elvis).
Are you trolling?Is this a troll thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,836,675 times
Reputation: 2858
I wish the South had more influence but it is NYC. Always has been, always will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,147 posts, read 1,529,997 times
Reputation: 1850
I've spoken to several foreigners who always make claims that America doesn't have "culture," or either they visit NYC and LA and come up with the assumption that America "steals" other people's culture. I tell them all the time, only if they would've went further South...

In actuality, The South is the only region in the US with cultural aspects developed within the country itself. The Cuisines, Music, Dance, AAVE, Carnival, Subcultures (Creoles, Gullah) and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,827 posts, read 9,465,248 times
Reputation: 6186
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I've spoken to several foreigners who always make claims that America doesn't have "culture," or either they visit NYC and LA and come up with the assumption that America "steals" other people's culture. I tell them all the time, only if they would've went further South...

In actuality, The South is the only region in the US with cultural aspects developed within the country itself. The Cuisines, Music, Dance, AAVE, Carnival, Subcultures (Creoles, Gullah) and etc.
Exactly. The culture in the South is so different than elsewhere in the world. If only those European tourists would visit New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, etc...

The "culture" of NYC is a mix of Italian/Irish/Puerto Rican and a lot of other ethnic groups. When they moved to NYC they brought their food and customs with them and it shaped the city.

The "culture" of LA is a mix of Anglican/Hispanic/Asian elements which influence LA not the other way around.

The culture of the South is an identity in an of itself. Jambalaya, gumbo, and cornbread are purely American culinary inventions and the the great music was invented in the South. The immigration was so small throughout the years that the immigrants were forced to assimilate, more or less, into the dominant culture there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,827 posts, read 9,465,248 times
Reputation: 6186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I wish the South had more influence but it is NYC. Always has been, always will be.
Spoken like a true provincial New Yorker who thinks everything west of the Hudson is a wasteland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,157 posts, read 36,355,190 times
Reputation: 63941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Exactly. The culture in the South is so different than elsewhere in the world. If only those European tourists would visit New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, etc...

The "culture" of NYC is a mix of Italian/Irish/Puerto Rican and a lot of other ethnic groups. When they moved to NYC they brought their food and customs with them and it shaped the city.

The "culture" of LA is a mix of Anglican/Hispanic/Asian elements which influence LA not the other way around.

The culture of the South is an identity in an of itself. Jambalaya, gumbo, and cornbread are purely American culinary inventions and the the great music was invented in the South. The immigration was so small throughout the years that the immigrants were forced to assimilate, more or less, into the dominant culture there.
We have some Belgian friends who discovered the American South and Southwest a few years ago and they absolutely LOVE Southern culture (and Tejano/Latino culture as well). They've been to other parts of the US but they always say how much they love the South and how it isn't a very well known region or tourist destination in central Europe. Their European friends are always surprised when they tell them they're going BACK to San Antonio, or New Orleans, or NC's Outer Banks, or the Ozarks or southern Appalachians.

But they totally groove on it. About ten years ago we greeted them with chicken and dumplings, cornbread, black eyed peas, turnip greens, iced tea and banana pudding and they are STILL talking about that meal - they loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top