U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The South has defined the culture of the US more than any other region?
Yes it has 21 21.65%
No it hasn't 76 78.35%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:05 AM

970 posts, read 1,642,927 times

Advertisements

The hotpocket was conceived in a laboratory in Hotpocket, CO by 100% American scientists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:20 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,570,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'm talking about historically as well as now.

Jazz, country, blues, these art forms are popular the world over. Just because you listen to pop doesn't mean there aren't cultural afficionados the world over that don't appreciate these art forms. You could also say rock and roll was invented in the South (thanks Elvis).

As far as food, southern fried chicken is popular everywhere, iced tea is ubiquitous as is barbecue, as well as deserts like peach cobbler and pecan pie.
I wasnt saying the hollywood/manhattan domination of the media was a good thing, i just said it has come to dominate popular culture. rock and rolll was regional music, a white kid from memphis and miss. like elvis,little richard from Georgia,jerry lee lewis and carl perkins from tennessee,james brown from south carolina,buddy holly from texas,chuck berry, bo diddley from Mississippi etc

Dixieland and Jazz, Country western,bluegrass, blues rock and roll were part of interesting regional cultures and nightclubs and came out of jazz and vaudeville, stuff like big joe turner etc. Todays pop music is just generic crap like katy perry,beyonce,taylor swift,lady gaga ,madonna with some big probably norwegian producer creating beats on computer and generic singing over it.

even in the 1980s and 1990s people still played their instruments and had talent, prince played every instrument on many of his albums but compare him to crap like kanye and taylor swift and beyonce and all this bland pop garbage out now

even food wise the south is various sub regions, fish is different in every region, florida has tons of variety of fish , you have gulf shrimp shrimp and grits, catfish, in maryland where I used to live our food was very southern but it was built around crab cakes. you have fried green tomatoes, bread pudding, bananas fosters,key lime pie,okra tons of different types of barbecue all over the region, tons of different pimento cheese,tex-mex,the south produces so much variety of rices and grains you see alot of stuff like shrimp and grits to hopping john.

Not to mention the great kentucky whiskey and cocktails from the south, place like new orleans and Louisiana invented so much stuff.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 AM

562 posts, read 542,311 times
Too sweeping of a statement. And it depends on what you mean. The South as a region itself, or the South as a birthplace of important aspects of American culture (that are no longer dependent or defined solely by the South)? From speech, food and music to civil rights and as the battleground and birthplace of a lot of uniquely American struggles, the South has had a huge impact. True, NY, LA and other big cities are exporters and repositories of American culture. But that is because imho, American culture is defined by the many struggles of our peoples (who at one point or another were almost all ethnic minorities in a strange land) and our ongoing triumphs in coming together despite our vast differences.

For example, basically all popular forms of modern music on the international stage today are at least in part, derivations of blues and bluegrass, itself derived from soulful spirituals and song of enslaved Americans of the American South. It has mixed with regional music around the world to give us a number of genres. I forget, there's somewhere you can actually see a visual music map that shows how everything from reggae to ska to house, etc trace some part of themselves to the cotton and tobacco fields many of our ancestors were made to tend in the South, including mine. I would go further to say that Black culture, in particular - which is largely rooted in the South - has had an outsized impact on the presentation and perception of what makes American culture "American." Black Americans brought the soulful south into the big cities during the Great Migration. Mixed with everything else, it's defined what's hip, chill and cool for generations. The irony is just lost.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,126,826 times
How can one region define the culture for the entire country?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:48 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Too sweeping of a statement. And it depends on what you mean. The South as a region itself, or the South as a birthplace of important aspects of American culture (that are no longer dependent or defined solely by the South)? From speech, food and music to civil rights and as the battleground and birthplace of a lot of uniquely American struggles, the South has had a huge impact. True, NY, LA and other big cities are exporters and repositories of American culture. But that is because imho, American culture is defined by the many struggles of our peoples (who at one point or another were almost all ethnic minorities in a strange land) and our ongoing triumphs in coming together despite our vast differences.

For example, basically all popular forms of modern music on the international stage today are at least in part, derivations of blues and bluegrass, itself derived from soulful spirituals and song of enslaved Americans of the American South. It has mixed with regional music around the world to give us a number of genres. I forget, there's somewhere you can actually see a visual music map that shows how everything from reggae to ska to house, etc trace some part of themselves to the cotton and tobacco fields many of our ancestors were made to tend in the South, including mine. I would go further to say that Black culture, in particular - which is largely rooted in the South - has had an outsized impact on the presentation and perception of what makes American culture "American." Black Americans brought the soulful south into the big cities during the Great Migration. Mixed with everything else, it's defined what's hip, chill and cool for generations. The irony is just lost.
I think everyone can agree that rock, jazz, and blues had its origins in the South. If it weren't for the South, we'd likely be listening to polka music today. But, at the same time, there's country, folk, and gospel that also had deep, deep influences in turn on the origins of rock, jazz, and blues.

Anybody else see "Muscle Shoals"? A really good rundown on what drove so much Southern music, which in turn drove so much music around the world.

Muscle Shoals (2013) - IMDb

Old 10-01-2016, 10:16 AM
_OT

2,145 posts, read 1,525,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Jazz/Blues is a mixture of French, Caribbean and Spanish Music.
Country is a mix between Mexican and Scots-Irish Folk music
The Queen of England is the Theocrat for 1/2 the South (Anglicanism)
Fried Chicken is Scottish.
Apple Pie is Dutch
Hotdogs are German
Football is Derived from (English) Rugby
Baseball is derived from (English) Rounder's
So I guess America doesn't have an authentic culture.
Immigrant Culture is American Culture, literally nothing is American.
And this discussion completely ignores political culture which the North (particularly New England) has spearheaded, from Independence, to Abolition, Workers Rights, Gay Rights, etc.
Jazz/Blues is a mixture of French, Caribbean, and Spanish music? lol where the hell are you getting this from? all it really takes is a simple google search to prove that's wrong.

Apple Pie is not a staple dish in Southern Cuisines; It's Sweet Potato Pie, Pecan Pie, Peach Cobbler, Banana Pudding and etc. that are way more fitting Southern deserts.

The South is the only region with genuine and authentic American culture. As I mentioned before, the Music, Dance, Cuisines, AAVE, Carnival (Mobile/New Orleans), Subcultures (Creole, Gullah, Maroons), Traditions, and etc. In many Southern families it was common to have large Sunday dinner, or in New Orleans and other areas they celebrate the life of the dead by playing music and dancing. And I'm pretty sure other Southerners can agree that discipline was also a cultural thing too, we weren't shy to going outside and picking our own switches off of a tree or bush.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:26 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,543,876 times
It's neither yes or no. All regions of the U.S. have their on influences in how our nation is shaped. It's not "yes", because we haven't been the only/main influence. It's not "no", because he have an our portion of influence like any other region.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 AM

9,395 posts, read 9,557,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Jazz/Blues is a mixture of French, Caribbean, and Spanish music? lol where the hell are you getting this from? all it really takes is a simple google search to prove that's wrong.

Apple Pie is not a staple dish in Southern Cuisines; It's Sweet Potato Pie, Pecan Pie, Peach Cobbler, Banana Pudding and etc. that are way more fitting Southern deserts.

The South is the only region with genuine and authentic American culture. As I mentioned before, the Music, Dance, Cuisines, AAVE, Carnival (Mobile/New Orleans), Subcultures (Creole, Gullah, Maroons), Traditions, and etc. In many Southern families it was common to have large Sunday dinner, or in New Orleans and other areas they celebrate the life of the dead by playing music and dancing. And I'm pretty sure other Southerners can agree that discipline was also a cultural thing too, we weren't shy to going outside and picking our own switches off of a tree or bush.
Carnival is Southern? you are absurd.
Sunday dinner is a Christian thing.
Jazz and Blues is the mixture of French, Caribbean and Spanish music that's why it was invented in New Orleans, not Atlanta or Charlotte.
Similarly Rap, R&B, and Motown were created by Southern Immigrants to the North, but they were forged in the mix of Northern and Southern Culture. The changes made would not have happened if there was no Great Migration.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:41 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,313,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you agree with this statement?

The South has defined the culture of the United States more than any other region.

If you look at some of the best things that have come out the US, from music (Jazz, Blues, R&B, Country, Blue Grass) to food (sweet tea, grits, gumbo, barbecue) to a distinct accent to distinct American iconic things (high school football, NASCAR, front porch swings), it seems the cultural influence of the South has outweighed every other region.

My theory is that the South was settled early on by colonists and slaves and then there was little immigration for a long period of time which allowed an isolated culture to develop. The north had so many immigrants that their cuisine is more European in nature (Italian/Irish mainly). The Southwest seems more an extension of Mexico, the Midwest was mainly settled by northern Europeans.

In any case, do you agree with this assessment. Also, can you state why the Southern culture is more monolithic than other places. For instance, the culture of Philly is vastly different than even NYC and they are really close. Also include where you live as I suspect other regions may be more reluctant to admit how much influence the South has had.
No, I don't agree at all. A lot of those things that you named are not really popular outside of the South. I think when most people from other parts of the world think of the US they don't think of grits and NASCAR, but probably places like New York and California.

I do agree with the south being more monolithic though.

The Southwest used to BE Mexico! We stole that land from them.

I think Hollywood has had a bigger part in defining American culture than the south

Old 10-01-2016, 10:47 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,447,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Southern cuisine is also derived from other countries smart one. British influences southern cooking the most. Off-Southern south Louisiana cuisine is derived from French and Carribean influences. There isn't a thing about America that isn't derived from somewhere else.
Cajun cooking is so far different from mainland French cooking there is no comparison. However, a pizza in NYC does resemble a pizza in Italy to a large degree.

Other Southern cooking doesn't resemble British cooking in any way shape or form. Perhaps the closest would be fried catfish and french fries as being a substitute for fish and chips but that's even a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or