U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region of the country has influenced the culture of America the most?
New England 4 8.89%
Mid Atlantic States 14 31.11%
Southeast 8 17.78%
Midwest 8 17.78%
Intermountain West 0 0%
Desert Southwest 1 2.22%
Pacific Northwest 0 0%
California 10 22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 11:29 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,520,550 times

Advertisements

Outside of the South, what's American culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 AM

565 posts, read 564,050 times
I think it depends on what era you're in. Also, the U.S. is a very large nation, with each region having a distinct culture of its own. I think 1950- early 2000's Southern California had the biggest impact with Hollywood, portraying the "American dream", car focused, sunny weather, suburban lifestyle. Since then, perhaps since 2008 or so I would say that everywhere between the Bay area and Seattle has had the biggest impact and will continue to. We are entering the future. The Bay area and Puget Sound specifically have prepared themselves for it. They are leading the way in social change, tech, and environmental policies. Other cities have recognized this and are trying to keep up and follow the lead. (Austin, Denver, and Minneapolis, Brooklyn) These cities are now recognized for being progressive but haven't brought innovation to the table like San Francisco and Seattle.

Side note, I wanted to include Portland but I don't see it leading the way. Portland from my understanding, likes being left under the radar and doing its own thing although it's still very similar to Seattle and San Francisco and I think it has done a great job preparing itself for the future.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,422,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
OP, I see you don't understand what the poll in your other thread was telling you.

One region doesn't define the entire country. Do you understand why this is?

The answer to your question is all regions. Also, why is California its own option? You couldn't just group it with the West or the West coast?
I did that because in the other poll, someone stated California was the single biggest influence. Was just trying to get more granular.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 PM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Id rank the mid Atlantic, the South, and California all closely. The south has had the largest influence on music, followed by food. But really, I was reading through that other thread and there was a lot of foods listed from the south I have never heard of or eaten. Things like grits, junbalaya, gumbo are all still very regional. I don't even know what the second two are and grits are disgusting, lol. Cornbread and fried chicken are good.
You've been missing out; Shrimp and Grits, Hush Puppies, Banana Pudding, Crawfish, Fried Catfish, Fried Green Tomatoes, Peach Cobbler, Blackberry Cobbler, etc. etc. Good eating...

Old 10-02-2016, 12:28 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm not going to vote either. I think the largest cultural contributing region has changed over time. For most of American history I would say it was the mid Atlantic. Right now California is the largest cultural contributor and has been for a few decades. The south has contributed a lot, but I don't know if it was ever the dominant cultural region. The west outside of California has historically been too isolated and low population to be as culturally significant. The Midwest hasn't been as culturally significant as well. I'm not saying those places don't add to our culture, they sure do, but they don't effect the nation like the other regions.

Id rank the mid Atlantic, the South, and California all closely. The south has had the largest influence on music, followed by food. But really, I was reading through that other thread and there was a lot of foods listed from the south I have never heard of or eaten. Things like grits, junbalaya, gumbo are all still very regional. I don't even know what the second two are and grits are disgusting, lol. Cornbread and fried chicken are good.
You have never had jambalaya? You need to take a visit to New orleans or Charleston or Savannah, cities with beautiful architecture, music and lots of great food and drink. po boys, Chargrilled Oysters, bananas foster, pralines. awesome cocktails like sazerac, hurricanes, ramos gin fizz ,chatham artillery punch Vieux, Carré, too many bourbon and whiskey drinks to mention, etc.

Try husk in charleston, sean brocks place. amazing shrimp and grits. grits is just a type of cornmeal . its what you add like cheese,poached egg, greens and shrimp etc

http://urbanswank.com/media/k2/items...534dcd5c_L.jpg

Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 PM

3,478 posts, read 4,372,557 times
I don't have the time to try to think this through, but I think the OP is looking at culture too much in terms of flash and festivity, and not enough in terms of things that tend to disappear into the background (our Constitution, the first free circulating library, the department store, urban planning, etc.). A lot of foundational things that you can't eat or dance to emerged from the Mid-Atlantic region.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 PM

10,789 posts, read 9,422,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I don't have the time to try to think this through, but I think the OP is looking at culture too much in terms of flash and festivity, and not enough in terms of things that tend to disappear into the background (our Constitution, the first free circulating library, the department store, urban planning, etc.). A lot of foundational things that you can't eat or dance to emerged from the Mid-Atlantic region.
I don't believe literature, art, and music are just "flash and festivity". I believe they are a fundamental of any culture. Take the Renaissance Period in Europe. The art, literature, and architecture defines that era. The Enlightenment came later, so that shows you how important art/literature/architecture is.

That being said if we do include festivity, the South wins in that category as well (Mardi Gras for instance).

Old 10-02-2016, 10:18 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times
The "mid-atlantic" - at least virginia and most parts of maryland - was the "south" during the formation of our country? Especially Virginia .

Washington,Jefferson ,Madison etc. People obviously know about Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence and Washington and the Revolutionary war but Madison was really the father of the American constitution . He had an enormous influence.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 PM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
That's what culture is, the "flash," festivity and customs are what separates one culture, from the other; it's called an identity. If you look at other countries, in this case the Dominican Republic, they have cultural aspects that signifies their distinct culture (Bachata, Mangu, Attentive Abuelitas, etc.)

Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 PM

6,564 posts, read 3,662,092 times
I don't think any one region can win this contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or