Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region of the country has influenced the culture of America the most?
New England 4 8.89%
Mid Atlantic States 14 31.11%
Southeast 8 17.78%
Midwest 8 17.78%
Intermountain West 0 0%
Desert Southwest 1 2.22%
Pacific Northwest 0 0%
California 10 22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

WHO voted for the Southwest? Show yourself... the Southwest is arguably the least defining region out of all of them unless you grew up on old John Wayne movies. The Southwest is arguably the most unique region in the country demographically (lots of Natives and Latinos), linguistically (lots of Spanish), cuisine, climatically (our deserts are very unique compared to the majority of the country which is the exact opposite), and culturally. I love the Southwest for what it is believe me don't get me wrong but it's the most unique cultural area of the nation except Hawaii and I stand my ground on that. Sort of a culture clash with "traditional" areas like New England and the Mid-Atlantic.

I voted for California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Today would say either CA or the NE but all areas have contributed

Old 10-03-2016, 10:01 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't believe literature, art, and music are just "flash and festivity". I believe they are a fundamental of any culture. Take the Renaissance Period in Europe. The art, literature, and architecture defines that era. The Enlightenment came later, so that shows you how important art/literature/architecture is.
I am not convinced of Southern dominance in literature or art. Has the South made major contributions in those areas? Definitely (especially in literature). But it hasn't defined American literature as much as the New England (especially early on), Mid Atlantic, and later, California/west coast regions have. As a source for popular music, I guess I'd have to admit the South wins, even if it tends to go on to be developed further outside the South.

I'd have to consult sources to make the case for non-Southern dominance w/r/t fiction, but I am very familiar with poetry, and I don't see many Southerners among the most important American poets (though not necessarily the best in all cases, in my opinion): Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Wallace Stevens, William Carlos Williams, H.D., Louis Zukofsky, Allen Ginsberg, Frank O'Hara (born in Maryland but didn't grow up there), Robert Creeley, Charles Olson, Denise Levertov, and perhaps all the "language poetry" bores (Ron Silliman, Charles Bernstein, etc.). The poets closely associated with New Criticism have mostly have not wielded much influence over time. John Crowe Ransom wrote a good blurb for Eliot's Four Quartets, but how much is he read, compared to Eliot?

I don't think fiction or drama would be as unbalanced though.

(Edit: Thinking of a bunch I left out, none of them Southern as far as I know. Frost and Ashbery belong on the list more than Zukofsky does, for instance.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 10-03-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I am not convinced of Southern dominance in literature or art. Has the South made major contributions in those areas? Definitely (especially in literature). But it hasn't defined American literature as much as the New England (especially early on), Mid Atlantic, and later, California/west coast regions have. As a source for popular music, I guess I'd have to admit the South wins, even if it tends to go on to be developed further outside the South.

I'd have to consult sources to make the case for non-Southern dominance w/r/t fiction, but I am very familiar with poetry, and I don't see many Southerners among the most important American poets (though not necessarily the best in all cases, in my opinion): Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Wallace Stevens, William Carlos Williams, H.D., Louis Zukofsky, Allen Ginsberg, Frank O'Hara (born in Maryland but didn't grow up there), Robert Creeley, Charles Olson, Denise Levertov, and perhaps all the "language poetry" bores (Ron Silliman, Charles Bernstein, etc.). The poets closely associated with New Criticism have mostly have not wielded much influence over time. John Crowe Ransom wrote a good blurb for Eliot's Four Quartets, but how much is he read, compared to Eliot?

I don't think fiction or drama would be as unbalanced though.

(Edit: Thinking of a bunch I left out, none of them Southern as far as I know. Frost and Ashbery belong on the list more than Zukofsky does, for instance.)
The most famous american poet was southern , at least internationally in places like france , Edgar Allen Poe. The French love southern writers, Faulkner was huge over there and probably our greatest novelist. Tennessee williams is big over there too for dramatists

You have more contemporary and 20th century poets like James dickey,Harry crews ,Maya angelou,Randall Jarrell ,that whole new criticism and fugitive school in Vanderbily and Kenyon with John Crowe Ransom,Allen Tate and Robert Penn Warren pretty much dominated american poetry criticism in the 20th century

Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
The most interesting thing here is how low New England is.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
"Mid atlantic" is confusing as Virginia should really have parts considered southeast as Jefferson, Washington, Madison,Monroe, the Randolphs, Sam Houston, Bacon ,Paine, Patrick Henry etc pretty much defined the early South and New England should certainly have alot more votes here.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:46 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I should clarify that "Southeast" should include Virginia. For the purposes of this poll, consider mid Atlantic to be New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and DC. This ties in with why DC was chosen as the mid point between South and North with a southern state south of it and a northern state north of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.